I Forge Iron

Make a hot cut hardy

If you don't have an old axle, I just called and 12" of 1 1/4" 4140 is $7.40. That is buying just 12" at a small supplier. That would give enough for a hot cut a cold cut and a small hammer or hot set. For an extra couple of dollars they would even cut it into the lengths you need

Worked a treat! A little noisy as it sounds like some boards clapping together, and needed its own stump to sit on. I think this will be a keeper for a while. When I get a better anvil I'll look into proper hardy tools.

I was working light material (that's all I work currently), 3/8 round, and made some leaf fobs and adjusted a bottom fuller I made to fit my pritchel hole. I thought having 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch on the same tool would prove helpful for now. Yes I know there are many many reasons to have these as separate tools too.

Then my bottle froze and my daughter woke up.

Phil

"it sounds like some boards clapping together" because it is "some boards clapping together"! Well if all you're cutting is 3/8....... I used to cut off 3/8 and 1/2 on one edge of my anvil. Like two blows and twist off.

Edited by nakedanvil

I have made hot cuts from wedges and jackhammer bits, they work great, the fastest/easiest way to make one from a wedge is to weld a length of square stock that fits your hardy hole to the bottom of the wedge.
I have one I made from a piece of an axle also, they all work fine it just depends on what you have on hand and how much time you have to put into making it, there's no right or wrong way just whatever works for you with your given situation.

welder19

Here's the result of 1/2 an hour with a hand hammer and piece of 1-1/4 round 4140. OK I did use a sledge to upset the shoulder. This is why I can't understand all of the "shortcuts". Yeah, I just made it five minutes ago.

Grant, how far did you draw out the taper before driving the piece into the hardie hole?
also how long of a piece did you use?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for all this information, this has helped me because I am in the same situation as ofafeather with no hardy. I can see both sides of the picture and I think I will try both methods. I should learn something doing both of these. Especially since I don't know anything yet.
Don

I haven't even used my wooden box since the anvil devil arrived. Best $3 I've spent so far on this hobby. Its even better than the tongs I bought (no offense Grant) and I really like the tongs too. I can see it as difficult to cut thicker than 3/4 with an anvil devil though, there just isn't enough clearance to the anvil face. For 1/2 inch and under it is a treat.

Phil

Here's the result of 1/2 an hour with a hand hammer and piece of 1-1/4 round 4140. OK I did use a sledge to upset the shoulder. This is why I can't understand all of the "shortcuts". Yeah, I just made it five minutes ago.

I'm with grant on this thread. Nothing beats the efficiency of forging. Here are two different approaches to hot cut hardies that I posted a while ago.
The first one is the most efficient to make and use, but the second one requires alot smaller piece of steel.

19546.attach

19547.attach

19548.attach

19549.attach

19550.attach

19551.attach

19552.attach

Brian, it's really amazing how a small change in thinking can make a huge difference. I never thought of making a hardy tool to fit the hardy hole on a bias. It makes a huge difference in what's needed to secure the tool. Do you notice any difference in stability compare with a full square shaft? Have you adapted this for other hardy tools?