I Forge Iron

Make a hot cut hardy

KYBOY, If your on the list better start eating your wheaties. Last one I looked at was over a ton without the frame
Over 2 grand fob.
Ken

I dont really want the whole thing, Id be estatic with a 4' x 4' piece ;) If I can get a part of it then my tractor with boom pole will be used to move it..

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and who suggested forging your own tools as well. I was tempted to try the splitting wedge idea, but after the instructors at a blacksmith class I took donated a jack hammer bit, I went to work on it today and the results are attached. It did take me a tad longer than Grant's 30 minutes (measured in hours LOL), but I surely did get a sense of accomplishment. I'm sure my wife will be happy that she doesn't have to run hold the hatchet for me too.

post-11994-12637812369243_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and who suggested forging your own tools as well. I was tempted to try the splitting wedge idea, but after the instructors at a blacksmith class I took donated a jack hammer bit, I went to work on it today and the results are attached. It did take me a tad longer than Grant's 30 minutes (measured in hours LOL), but I surely did get a sense of accomplishment. I'm sure my wife will be happy that she doesn't have to run hold the hatchet for me too.

Good job mate! I probably worked too hard on the shoulder, you don't need all that much on a cutter.

Hope this is a related enough question to post in this thread. Does anyone have a recommendation on salvage steel to search for to make hardy tools for a 1 1/8 hole? Im just starting out. One of my books says to use something at least 1/2 in larger - which means 1 5/8+.

Thanks, John

Hope this is a related enough question to post in this thread. Does anyone have a recommendation on salvage steel to search for to make hardy tools for a 1 1/8 hole? Im just starting out. One of my books says to use something at least 1/2 in larger - which means 1 5/8+.

Thanks, John

I have a hardy hole of similar size. I put in an L shaped spacer to reduce it to 1". Much easier to find material for hardy tools. Easier to forge too. Any you can buy ready made anvil tools with a " shank.

I got a truck axle shaft that is about 1 3/4, cut off the end and then cut out a section. Reformed (mangled) some tongs to hold the piece. Spent an hour tapering a square and managed to get an inch to fit into the 1 1/8 hardy hole. Man, it's a lot of pounding. I have not yet convinced my wife to man the sledge hammer, so will resume the pounding in the morning.

Seems for a cutoff hardy, that it should fit very well, and formed of one piece. Perhaps other tools can be made from welded portions - but I thought I would try forging a single piece for the cutoff.

-John

Well, No. I have seen a lot of hardies made with with a section of steel tubing welded onto the "blade" section.

Can you get your wife to hold while you sledge?

Also I find it easier when I set off the area to be reduced with a butcher or fuller---helps me to concentrate on hitting only the area that needs to be hit---and makes a nicer "edge" for the part that will rest on the face of the anvil.

Thanks, John

I have a hardy hole about the same size on my fisher anvil..Ive forged shanks before but to be honest I got lazy :P When we ordered some 1045 stock from speedymetals I just went ahead and orders square stock of the right size..They cut to length at no cost..Ready made hardy shanks..

I have a hardy hole about the same size on my fisher anvil..Ive forged shanks before but to be honest I got lazy :P When we ordered some 1045 stock from speedymetals I just went ahead and orders square stock of the right size..They cut to length at no cost..Ready made hardy shanks..

So how do you keep it from falling through the hole? If I was starting with material that just fit the hole, I'd just put a little joggle in it, you know: sort of a "Z" bend. Then I'd heat the bend a little and drive it down a bit before forging the blade.

So how do you keep it from falling through the hole? If I was starting with material that just fit the hole, I'd just put a little joggle in it, you know: sort of a "Z" bend. Then I'd heat the bend a little and drive it down a bit before forging the blade.

Lisa stands there and hold's em' :lol: Though she does get awful tired :P
No really, I mean for like bending forks and other hardy jigs where the actual tool is gonna be welded on..

• 3 weeks later...

The coil spring that I am using is a bit bigger in diameter than my hardy hole is wide. I didn't put a shoulder on it because when I forged it square it falls into the hardy and stops when it gets to it's original diameter. The only problem is that it does get tend to get stuck. But the shaft is longer than the hardy hole is deep so I can just tap the underside and it pops loose.

Mark<><