I Forge Iron

dimondback forges

kindrage

ok instead of going threw the trouble of making my own I was going to buy a chile forge single burner but with a 700 doller prise tage shipped to my door I can't do it right now so I went on ebay found a single burner knife making forge for 300 dollers I did not look at the shipping coast. But I was wondering are thay any good. Is it worth my money and it says gas forge so I can use propane right? Well let me know what you guys think thanks.

Do the diminsions of the forge suit your needs? Have you checked the web site of the maker to see the specs? Also look at the price of a new one from the maker. If there is not enough information on the e bay page have you sent questions to the seller?...Also yoiu may look in this site for info on that brand of forge and see wot other folks say about it.....Use the search feature....

I bought one of their single burner forges last year. Price was not as much as a concern as my limited free time. I knew that I might never get around to finishing my own forge and decided that the cost of buying one would have to be weighted against the cost of rounding up supplies, building time and design. In the end, it was a good decision, at least for me. It heats up quickly, burns abt 20 hours on a tank (just an estimate I did not time it). The down side is the size; it is fine for knife makers but not much else. Even small projects are tricky if they have angles. It works fine for straight pieces as they can pass through. The up side is it heats up fast, regulates heat well and is easily moved (let it cool down first). I have a larger forge now but still like to use the smaller one when I am in a hurry. I use mine mostly to make small projects for practice it works great for that.

My advice would be to consider cost, time, effort and when you think you would need a forge. Although these small forges are limited, it may help you get started and you can always trade up later. Hope that helps.

Dave/swordsmandp

I have a two burner blacksmith forge and love it..Ive only welded in it once and I did that at about 13-15 psi. I think i could probably do it a bit lower. I still weld in my coal forge because I havent put anything in the bottom of my diamondback to protect the bottom from flux. Good openings, large front door with plenty of room..Very even heat, no hot spots..;) Great customer service as well..

The knifemaker forges are for welding hands done! You have reviews of the three main forges, now all you have to do is figure what kind of work you will mainly be doing! lol. I wish I would have bought the one burner diamondback. The two burner is overkill for me. I don't weld up billets that are like 12" long.

kindrage,
Every forge in the Diamondback Ironworks line-up will reach welding heat, so no matter if it's a single, double or triple burner, they will all get hotter than you'll ever need (heat is controlled by gas pressure). I say that because many think that the more burners you have, the hotter the forge will get, but fact is, our single burners get as hot as out 3 burner models.
With that out of the way, the major consideration is the type of work you are doing and what you plan to do in the future.

The Knifemaker models (1 and 2 burners) are just what they say, they are designed for Bladesmithing. They have small openings in each end to allow your stock to pass through, but with no front door they are very limited in what you can get inside. If all you're doing is blades, these are they way to go.

The Blacksmith models (2 and 3 burners) offer a larger firebox, openings in each end for barstock to pass through and a large front door which allows greater access to the firebox. These forges are ideal for general blacksmithing and in fact, the 2 Burner Blacksmith is the forge I personally use for my ironwork, along with a single burner knifemaker for my blades.

The Metal Artist model (2 burner) is even more versatile still, without the front corners it allows complete firebox access with the front door open, the drawback is the larger end openings are responsible for more heat loss, so it's gas usage is slightly higher than the Blacksmith models.

The Metalsmith models (2 and 3 burners) offer an excellent compromise between access and efficiency. They are essentially a Metal Artist forge with end doors as well as a front door. With all doors closed the forge has stock ports in each end door for barstock to pass through. This allows the forge to maintain higher heats with less fuel use. When you need more access, any of the doors, or even all 3, can be opened, allowing you to get whatever you need into the firebox, wherever you need it.

Again, it comes down to what you plan on doing, but I say for Bladesmithing, the 1 or 2 Burner Knifemaker is a great choice, it just depends on the length of blades you'll be working. For general Blacksmithing, the 2 Burner Blacksmith is an excellent choice. There are many choices out there in many different price ranges, but there isn't a (professionally manufactured, commercial quality) forge made in the US that ours won't run head to head with, so shop carefully. Even at the high end, our 3 Burner Metalsmith can be delivered anywhere in US for well under $700!

Looper is right if you go with the Diamondback that fits closest to the type of work you will be doing you cannot go wrong. I am thinking serously about buying another model myself. Great product, good prices and no, I do not work for them.

I should have mentioned, all my “tools” are stored inside my house. I live in an area where the homeowners association has absolute power over all us minions’ unlucky enough to live under their regime. Since I cannot leave anything outside my home overnight, any work I do requires the movement of forge, hammers, anvil etc. Followed by a complete clean up when I am finished (or I just get plain tired). The more I move all this stuff in and out the more I love my little one burner, light weight, quick cool down, easily carried and stored forge.

Now to be fair am I also growing very fond of my lightweight portable anvil. I use a 55-pound harbor freight ASO with a snap on 30 pound, 3 inch thick steal plate. Works like a dream and can be moved in sections. When I get time I am going to hollow out an old grill and use it to hide my hay budden. xxxx the HOA, lol.

Cheers.

What about taking an old gas grill and pitching the grill and bolting a metal sheet to it and making a portable gas forge cart. I had one in OH I used and loved, it even holds the gas bottle for you! and am building my next one out here.

There was one fellow who built a dog house to cover his anvil---had back wheels on it so he could wheel it back and use the anvil or just wheel it forward to cover the anvil.

I love living out here where when I asked my builder about property line offsets he said "The dripline should be inside your own property"

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me in advance if I am asking rookie questions. I'll try not to look like an a$$. Could you fine folks give me some advice on the size of gas forge I should build/buy. I plan on doing mostly sculpture and mixed medium ( wood/metal) pieces. Thank you in advance.:)

ps: Sorry, I think I hijacked your thread, I thought I was starting a new thread and not replying to one. I am new.

Edited by Newbie09