I Forge Iron

Whats your weekend Project,

made 2 pairs of pick up tongs a 3" top and bottom fuller. I'm trying to use all the things I learned with Brian Brazeal for the last year.Since he left for his road trip its a little lonely at the forge but invited his brother Ed to strike for me saturday. We had a great time but it was different with out Brian telling us what to do and what size and lengths to use but we got it done.

17620.attach

Edited by tazmig33

im gonna be making a fitting for a sword im working on im probably going to have to make a punch and a few other tools to get it finished but im gonna have to wait to mount it till i get the heat treat done, after that im gonna file and sand the blade try to get it at least to 250 grit this afternoon. i know you want pics but i have none yet but dont worry it'll be posted in the swords section soon enough!:)

Plumbing on the forge, and canning a bushel of banana peppers (ok, its an overflowing paper shopping bag, at least 20#).
I'm adding 20 heads of garlic, and 20# sweet onion to it as well.

Gotta roast the garlic as whole pealed cloves, gotta roast the onions sliced into 1/2 inch strips, gotta roast and peal the peppers, then into pint jars with
1T sugar(optional)
2t salt
1t black pepper
1/4 t old bay
4-6 whole roasted cloves (I use more, since the garlic is yummy! It spreads like butter!)
half peppers and half onion to fill,
a roasted jalapeno if you want (makes bell peppers better)
vinegar to top, let burp, then head at 1/2 inch.
boil in canner 15-20 min for pints.
Let sit 30 days and enjoy! Ingredients need not be dissolved as it will dissolve in canner and while sitting. Shake jars gently at 15 days.

I have no clue how many pints this will make, but I have 40 jars.

I hope for leftover garlic to make a jar of just pickled garlic this time!

My bell peppers with jalapeno were voted best by my cousins over their own recipes! (OK, there were only 3 recipes)

Maybe this can be added to Vulcan's Grill.

Phil

I'm considering building an ark this weekend. We've had quite enough rain and here comes another 3-5 inches today. Got a pump working on the shop to keep the water out. The house is on a bit higher ground. Hard to work in a foot or more of water. Hope everyone else is keeping their feet dry.

Started with a leaf (working on them not looking so much like weird putters), began a pari of tongs and made a knife blank.

Happy about getting a good fire going and really enjoyed the great weather here in god's country.

Excelsior,
Ted

I'm working on stuff for a festival I will be demoing at this weekend. : ) First one ever! I got some knives, key chains, nails, necklaces, letter openers, hooks, and various other things. Gotta finish up a bird feeder hanger tomorrow.

Oh and bigjohn I will help you with that ark! Has been raining here almost constantly for the past week or more, been having a devil of a time getting anything done because every time I get a good fire going a front moves in and puts it out....sigh....I need a roof!

Edited by Drako11

I forged a two-piece bracket/clamp for mounting my Champion 400 blower on the top of a 4x4 post.

I also watched a nice little 4" post vise go for $20.00 to the guy that got to the tractor show vendor table 30 seconds before I did. The grin on his face made it hard to hold a grudge though.

We went to Field Day of the Past near Richmond Va., an absolutely awsome event. There was a 3 generation blacksmith shop on the grounds, and 3 other practicing smiths demoing. Steam powered everything, a whole small town moved to the grounds and frozen in time, wooden water towers, fire tower, Post Office, General store auto shop with Model A on the lift, tractor pulls and car show.

Rosco, That's funny ! I made a bracket to mount my Champion 400 on a 4 X 6 post. Mine wasn't forged though ... fabricated and TIG welded, but it turned out real nice. I am finishing up all my equipment to do my fist demo next weekend at a National Park. Hope to post pictures.

Saturday morning I relined one of my hard used gas forges. Started using a plastic (ram) refractory as the inside layer for the top. Now using 1 inch of blanket and about 1 inch of ram for the top of the shell. Stands up to my abuse much better than just blanket. I am using the same plastic to cover the 2 inches of blanket in the bottom. Working very nicely.
Saturday afternoon I started working on an order for 18th. century patterned shovels and spades. Hope to get this done this week.
Today was a family day. After church went out to the horse farm where my daughter rides and then to the movies and dinner.

Saturday morning I relined one of my hard used gas forges. Started using a plastic (ram) refractory as the inside layer for the top. Now using 1 inch of blanket and about 1 inch of ram for the top of the shell. Stands up to my abuse much better than just blanket. I am using the same plastic to cover the 2 inches of blanket in the bottom. Working very nicely.
Saturday afternoon I started working on an order for 18th. century patterned shovels and spades. Hope to get this done this week.
Today was a family day. After church went out to the horse farm where my daughter rides and then to the movies and dinner.

speaking of that mine need relining too jymm lol

made a few horse heads sat evening (not a brazeal brother job yet) more practice and beter tooling. on sunday did some work on my forge hooked up the elbow that sucks air for the side draft then i fored a shift knob for my vw bus out of stainless i had a piece of 3/4 hex and a round piece abot 2 inch dia that had a hole in it so i forged a tenon on the hex to fit the hole well it almost fit couldnt get it all the way down but did get enough to head off the end came out nice and it was my first time forging stainless so it was a good learning experience
well gotta go catch the end of the game
clinton

17629.attach

17630.attach

17631.attach

17632.attach

17633.attach

Well. Yesterday I cut and loaded a pickup of birch. Then I spent a couple hours forging a pair of dividers so I could mark firewood without having to bend over. Right now I have a nail in a board and a paint stick or lumber crayon clamped 19" away. It works well but there's a lot of bending over and it doesn't reach over much of a lump.

Anyway, I got the pivots punched and the slots for the curved flat piece (I don't know what it's called) slit and drifted when I noticed I slit and drifted one of them in the wrong place. I used the wrong center punch mark to slit. had I noticed another center punch mark I would've peined it closed and made a tell mark on the anvil. Oh well.

Today after church and a little shopping I tweeked a couple doffers and made another, then experimented with a double tight pineapple twist for the handle.

The double tight twist is to give the impression of fleece for the sheep and goat headed doffers.

Deb entered the goat head finial, pineapple twist doffer I made her in the state fair under the catagory "hand made tools for processing fiber" and son of a gun it won first place and division champion!

The pics are Deb's doffer and how it's used.

Anyway, now I have tentative orders for about half a dozen at $50+/- each. I just have to get a good sampler made up by next weekend. I've made ones with a leaf finial, one with a cable twist and one with a pineapple twist. I'll make another pair with a cable and pineapple twist but with a goat and a sheep head finials. Actually I'll probably make several sheep's headed ones as most spinners use sheep's wool.

Anyway, that's what I did this weekend. And tomorrow and maybe the next day. ;)

Frosty

17634.attach

17635.attach

17636.attach

17637.attach