I Forge Iron

Whats your weekend Project,

This is a small box I completed for some folks I know through medieval reenacting, they have recently married and it was a gift from him to her.
The box itself is ash covered with thin veg tanned leather and overlaid with the metal fittings.
Sizewise it is roughly 14" x 10" x 8" - not including the feet.
It is a working lock with the keys and lock itself based on medieval examples.

17639.attach

Originally Posted by Oak Hill Forge
I am finishing up all my equipment to do my fist demo next weekend at a National Park. Hope to post pictures.

Good luck with your first demo. I'm in the process of modifying my equipment for the same purpose... wheels on my forge and table, post for my blower, sectional stack, etc. There's a 'Bring a Friend' hammer-in at the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum on November 7th CONNECTICUT BLACKSMITH GUILD : ABANA (Artist Blacksmith Association of North America) affiliate. ... it'll be my first attempt at a demo.

This is a small box I completed for some folks I know through medieval reenacting, they have recently married and it was a gift from him to her.
The box itself is ash covered with thin veg tanned leather and overlaid with the metal fittings.
Sizewise it is roughly 14" x 10" x 8" - not including the feet.
It is a working lock with the keys and lock itself based on medieval examples.

nice chest/box!

made a few horse heads sat evening (not a brazeal brother job yet) clinton

nice horse heads too Edited by double_edge2

• 2 weeks later...

Well this weekend My buddy and me made 2 hammers and I made a seahorse bracelet.The one hammer was made from 2" dia. by 3 3/4" long 4140 the other hammer was made form 1 1/4" dia. by 3" long 4140. The bracelet was made from 1/4" square stainless bar.

18017.attach

18018.attach

1004091235-01.jpg
1004091504-00.jpg

this weekend i started to build a set of racks for my trailer because when ever i need to carry something a bit long i ether had to cut it into smaller lenghts or borrow my sons ute,i have completed the front set and will build the rest on my next lot of days off......i also repaired the gutter on my carport befor it rusted out completely..........the most important job i done this weeked was painting a small table that's under our pergola with chalk board paint so that my two granddaughters have a chalk board to writ on when they're here,which i might add is quite often:)

I'm new at this having fired the forge up for the second time now. My aim this weekend was to make a steak flipper for my son for his birthday (and for him to cook the bbq to try it out). Made a few mistakes but it works a treat.

18022.attach

A couple of years ago I acquired a post vise, think I paid 15 bucks for it! Anyway the leg had been stuck in the dirt for who knows how long and had rusted to a very thin spot about 6 to 10 inches up. The jaws are in good shape, line up fine and are 51/2 inches wide. The screw and box are in good shape. Well I had it just lying around and this week end I decided to give it some attention. I built the leg up with my mig welder and kept giinding and welding until I was happy with the build up, I also cleaned out the old grease from the box and gave it some new grease. If I were to paint it you wouldn't even see the repair! So now I'm happy with it and have to find a place to mount it!
Joe

Need to forge some knife blanks.

Had to go to a sporting event for one of the kiddies yesterday. Today though I fired up the forge and made a pair of tongs to hold flat stock for blades. Had to at least make some noise or the neighbors might start talking.
Keep hammerin on.....

Friday I was able to fire up the forge and build the prototype crossbrace for the office desk I'm working on, unfortunatly saturday I got called in to rebuild an aluminum crossmember out of a fluid pumping truck, then sunday was cleaning the chimney and stacking firewood. Hopefully this week after work I can get some hammering in. I'm suffering from withdrawls, I'm starting to get headaches from the lack of ringing in the ears :p

I'm still cleaning the garage.

The wife wants her parking spot back for winter. I also discovered that I can put my workbenches "my" side of the garage, have a parking spot for my forge between the benches, put the lawn tractor, garden tools, lawn trailer, and outboard where my work benches were, and I can get a parking spot, er, automotive placeholder for additional workspace too!

My wife is upset that I brought about 10 boxes from moving in because the contents don't belong in the garage, and the contents require her to sort them! I am surprised by the amount of C*** that we moved! Half the stuff in the moving boxes are either going into the trash or the scrap bins.

The only problem is that the outlets on this side of the garage need updating and are a mystery circuit that includes half the kitchen, the dining room and all the garage lighting and outlets. At least its an easy fix, I pulled the circuit a few months ago and just need to separate the outlets off. Only the four garage outlets will be on the new circuit.

Phil

This weekend I'm doing garage cleanup and some caulking around doors. Tomorrow supervise the son with a brake job on the old Volvo then some forge time.

I want to practice the HOfi Leaf Method.

Excelsior,
Ted

I managed to finish cleaning the garage to an acceptable level with (gasp!) 2 parking spots! My work benches are still a mess, but those are better too. The plan was to have some forge time tomorrow, but now we are going to a family reunion. Funny how that works!

Phil

I had a free pass, so I went to the Vegas Ren Faire on Friday. Watched a smith make kilt pins, and unicorn shoes. Talked with him for a little bit. His website is poundiron.com. Kinda neat how as the story is being told he is making items, then gives them away when the story is over. Everyone got a ticket, and then a drawing is held.

Today I unloaded a Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder in preparation for picking up a 37" dual head wide belt sander, and a 24" Powermatic planer tomorrow. I don't want the sander, but it was pat of the package.I need an all terrain lift bad, getting old unloading things like this by hand. My 5K Toyota has hard tires, and they do not mix with the gravel, and sand I have here.

Heading into town tonight for the Vegas Artist Guild's 14th anniversary party.

the new blower works well. nice fire and oh what a wonderful smell of coal smoke!! I shut down the forge until monday when all the neighbors will be back at work. I try and keep my forging quiet on the weekends. Now, where are all those parts for my gasser I want to build... LOL.

My wife and I are dog sitting for friends. We have three dogs... so with one more its gone to the dogs!! can't wait for them to come get this critter!

Well this weekend was turkey weekend for us Canadians! MMM what a feast!!
Before hand I managed to finish forging the desk legs for a friends office desk and we mounted it to the table top and installed it in her office. I'm happy with how it turned out, especially since it was my first ever forging project. More importantly, she is also happy with the result!