I Forge Iron

help!!!! Hofi hammer

From Italy

can anyone explain why the hofi hammers are superior? I dont doubt that they are after reading Mr Hofis posts and looking at his work - he is obviously someone who more than knows his stuff, but what makes them different from other hammers you could buy? thanks guys :)

can anyone explain why the hofi hammers are superior? I dont doubt that they are after reading Mr Hofis posts and looking at his work - he is obviously someone who more than knows his stuff, but what makes them different from other hammers you could buy? thanks guys :)

The Hofi hammer has:
- better balance than the imported copy that has been mentioned in this thread
- a much better handle; the other handles are either the wrong length, or have a shape near the head that do not provide the proper grip to use with Mr. Hofi's hammer method. To properly use the Hofi method all the copies would need to be rehandled with a better handle.
- properly domed on the face and peen. The copies either have flat face or so little dome that those hammers would have to be reforged.
- the imported hammer copy mentioned in this thread also seems to have a softer face that is more easily marred, and a weight that is too light to be efficient.

Also by purchasing a hammer from Hofi you are supporting the efforts of the inventor, not the imitators.

My opinion, mileage may vary.
Life long and prosper.
Dave E.

thanks unicorn - obviously it is very appealing to buy somethiing like this from its inventor esspecially when its inventor is such an inspiration. Thanks for outlining the differences - i know this will be a quality item I just dont know much about the hammer or the method. Live long and prosper yourself!:)

thanks unicorn - obviously it is very appealing to buy somethiing like this from its inventor esspecially when its inventor is such an inspiration. Thanks for outlining the differences - i know this will be a quality item I just dont know much about the hammer or the method. Live long and prosper yourself!:)

The basic problems with the copies and other not-so-good hammers are that:

- flat faces on hammers are more likely to leave dents in the surface of what you are hammering.

- the handles are not shaped in a manner that allows you to manipulate the handle with your fingers. Most hammer handles require you to grip the handle rather than rotate it with your fingers. While a genuine Hofi hammer has a well-shaped rectangular area near the hammer head where the person's fingers manipulate the hammer, the copies that I have either tried or seen in photographs do not have that shape.

- most hammers have poor if any center of gravity, so that they can not be easily rotated using your fingers. The Hofi hammer has a very concentrated center of gravity and allows easy manipulation and rotation using your fingers.

- handles of most hammers are the wrong length resulting in the smith having to use an excessive amount of energy to lift it. A Hofi hammer feels lighter than it is because it has a short handle (but not too short) and is raised close to the body where the smith has the most leverage. Literally "more bang for the bucks" as the saying goes.

- the cheap import "Czech" copy, in my humble opinion, is an absolute piece of junk! Everything that could be wrong with it was wrong with it. The face is dead flat, bad weight, soft face, handle the wrong length and shape. Even removing the sharp edges and rounding the edges and peen on a sander-grinder had minimal improvement in the functionality of the hammer, as it has the tendency of leaving marks, and would not move metal properly.

I received the impression when talking with the dealer of the junk hammers, that they had no clue about the difference between a well made and well designed hammer and an absolute piece of junk. At first they shipped a blocky sort-of-German shaped hammer (see attached photograph) and argued that it was the same thing. When it was pointed out the the photo on their web site showed a different hammer, they eventually accepted a return of the blocky German-hammer-shaped object. Later they changed to their current "Czech hammer".
Not to mention that my last order from them they sent the wrong book; the explanation was that the book was on the shelf next to the other book and has Francis Whitaker's name somewhere on the cover. Fortunately they accepted a return of the wrong book sent the other book after taking my charge card information again so that they could put the correct book on my charge card in case they did not receive the wrong book back. I guess they expected me to possibly behave as undependably as their staff. I would have concerns about ordering something expensive because I might order an expensive anvil and instead receive an anvil shaped wooden sign, and then have to argue with them that it is not the same as an iron anvil. :(

Just my opinion, mileage may vary.
Live long and prosper. May la-forge be with you.
Dave E. :D

17318.attach

Edited by UnicornForge

With all due respect Mr. Hofi. The Hofi hammer is just part of it, technique of using it correctly is as important as the hammer itself. Hence the reason of developing the hammer in the first place. He has videos out there teaching this technique and you would be wise and well served by purchasing one along with the hammer. I highly recommend both the hammer a learning the technique in using it correctly. Both well worth the $$.

.....I think I will buy a Mr. Hofi creation. I bought a french hammer a few days ago, and now I have to shape the face and the peen. What weight do you recommend? (I now work with a 2.2 lb sledge and a 3.3lb french hammer)

Of the following:
F22 Forged 2.2 pound hammer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $115
F275 = Forged 2.75 pound . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $125
C3 = Cast 3 pound . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $125
F33 = Forged 3.3 pound . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $125
F43....F62 ..... F75 Forged ....... Shipping $12 USA, $25 Canada.....

It depends on how those weights are working for you. If the 2.2lb hammer is working for you the F22 is the same weight. I have a 2.3lb Hofi hammer that I use the most and am very fond of. It is also good to have a F33, 3.3lb Hofi for times when you need the extra force.

If I had the loose cash, I would purchase at least two of every available size. :D Edited by UnicornForge

I've found the Hofi hammer in Germany.
But one kind is handforged in common C45 and the oother kind is " moulded with the lost wax method", the vendor wrote me "This gives a good quality similar to forging.
The other reason for the good quality is the good steel".
there are 60$ from the moulded and the forged one.
What do you think?

I've found the Hofi hammer in Germany...there are 60$ from the moulded and the forged one. What do you think?

Well, it is difficult to give an opinion on something that I have not seen or heard of, but I will give it a whirl.

They sound like copies, possibly cast from original(s).

I would be reluctant to risk my money on copies because;
1) you never know what your are getting
2) they are likely to have more than one of the flaws mentioned above for copies.
3) they are likely not paying a license fee to the inventor.

Just my opinion, mileage may vary.

Thanks guys for that - and the time taken writing info unicorn - ive only got a few cheapo hammers which im not really happy with and i know will never be my soul mates! time maybe soon to think about a proper grown ups hammer...a Mr Hofi original with a video to show me how. This will be a big spend for me so I better start saving...:)

Thanks guys for that - and the time taken writing info unicorn - ive only got a few cheapo hammers which im not really happy with and i know will never be my soul mates! time maybe soon to think about a proper grown ups hammer...a Mr Hofi original with a video to show me how. This will be a big spend for me so I better start saving...:)

You won't be disappointed. And shoot, if you say it real fast, it's not all that much money.;)

I've found the Hofi hammer in Germany....there are 60$ from the moulded and the forged one. What do you think?

I am confused. It appears from their web site that their hammers start at a price that is at least 97.00 EUR = 142.268 USD . - ANGELE Schmiedetechnik - ANGELE-SHOP

Based upon what I have seen on their web site, the price Glenn gets seems to be your best bargain.

I am definitely confused, unless they are giving you a price different than their web site shows. :confused:

In any case I encourage people to support Glenn's efforts.

Live long and prosper.
Dave E.

in determining which weight - im a bit concerned that it would be better to try/hold them to see how they feel due to the shorter length handle etc - ... I have a few hammers but they are ones I have kind of found along the way and not deliberate purchases! if I wanted a beautiful hammer like this I would be concerned to get it right. what do you think? also am I getting it right that you just ask Glenn to put an order in for you?

Hofi has told me that many people use the C3, including lady blacksmiths, and even one lady of small stature.

The Hofi hammer control technique is guiding the hammer toward the target, allowing the weight of the hammer do the work. I went from a long handled 2 pound hammer directly to the Hofi Cast 3 pound hammer and they felt to me to be the same weight while forging.

I'm finding the weight discussion here interesting. I just went from a 1 kilo hammer down to a 1 3/4 lb Nathan Robertson Czech style hammer. Didn't even consider a real Hofi hammer because my main goal as a beginner with insufficient arm strength was to go down to 1 3/4 lbs.

It sounds like some of you might recommend staying at 1 kilo or even going up with a Hofi and learning a different hammering technique. That sounds a little hard to believe, but at least I haven't too many bad habits to unlearn.

I have read the Hofi hammer technique blueprints on this site and am trying to apply them with the conventional handle on my hammer.

in determining which weight - im a bit concerned that it would be better to try/hold them to see how they feel due to the shorter length handle etc - ... I have a few hammers but they are ones I have kind of found along the way and not deliberate purchases! if I wanted a beautiful hammer like this I would be concerned to get it right. what do you think? also am I getting it right that you just ask Glenn to put an order in for you?

Hi Beth, why not try to see someone who uses one of Hofi's hammers first if you are a little doubtful of what you need,

Are there any local 'smiths out there near to Gloucester that have one that would be prepared to show you theirs and relate their experience with using it ?

I know of two in Devon and there are more around the UK