I Forge Iron

help!!!! Hofi hammer

From Italy

I have seen Hofi use the cast 3 pound C3 hammer to make a 3/4 inch long leaf with a 1/8 inch stem from 3/8 inch stock, and next forge a 3/4 inch diameter round bar with the same hammer. He then moved to the power hammer and worked a variety of small sizes 1/4 x 1 flat bar to 1/2 and 3/4 inch diameter round bar. This power hammer could just as easily worked 2 in square stock.

I have seen videos of Bruce Wilcock using a power hammer and 4 inch (or so) stock to form tenons for making ship anchors. Once assembled he used 6 pound sledges to form the rivet head on the end of the tenon.

Each hammer can be used for a range of stock size, so keep in mind the type forging you do and the size stock you use. Small stock size takes a small hammer or a light touch, big stock size takes a big hammer or a heavier hammer blow.

What is small stock to one blacksmith may not be considered small to another blacksmith. It depends upon the blacksmith and what stock he uses for his projects in HIS shop. Choose the tool for the job at hand.

Beth Cecil T SWAN is seling my hammers in the UK .
He was twice in my shop in Israel and you may get lots of information from him about the hammer. Hope it will help you to decide
the hofi hammer and the handle desigen are one unit one can not take them apart !
if one uses the hofi hammer with a different handle he can not get the maximum effitiency and ergonomy from the hammer.
I had a 23 years old lady in one of my classes that started the class with a 2,2# hammer and on the 4th day she forged with a 3,5# hammer easy . On the day we forged the per of tongs every one forged one per she forged two. She could do it only because she was from the age of 3 to the age of 23 a balet dancer and she followed the instructions 100% and was DANCING WITH THE HAMMER.
Hope I answered some of the questions on yhe forum
Hofi

brilliant you lot - thats great info thanks Mr Hofi - thanks for that John - ive just found out from the last post that Cecil Swan is using the hammers and he is very near me - i will get myself up to his workshop asap!:) Mr Hofi I realise your hammer is an entire design with its special handle and have no intention or desire to change what youve designed!:) I think youre saying that the technique allows for a heavier hammer to be used than normal. thanks guys:)

• 4 weeks later...