I Forge Iron

my workshop (in the works)

well. this hobbie has already got me hooked. im simply unable to keep moveing all my stuff in and out of my room and hideing my steel and anvils out of sight so they wont magicly disapear overnight so i got permsion form my grandfather to setup in a storage area he had for simi weather protectoin.
its an allright little area. has a roof and 1 wall at least so im protected from rain at least. ill probably put chainlink fince up around my stuff to keep it safe later and probably move some of those doors to make some makeshift walls dureing the winter months
here is a couple of pics of it so far. still have lots of work to do to it tho.
still have a decent size list for tools too

any comments on inproveing this thing (on the cheap) i realy cant dump too much into this hobby, are more then welcome!

16988.attach

16989.attach

my rotor is acculy mounted in a dish. its about 4 inches deeper then it looks ^^;.

also just got done doing my second forgeing process. got a good ways thu befor haveing to quit

lack of tools realy kicked me in the but. i just went to the store today and got some channel locks and vise grips, the vise grips work great on the blade end but when i need to hold the handle side of my project (wider bar/sqire) type metal the locks did great for the first 30 min into my project. and now they keep sliping and nothing more dangerus then a peace of hot metal flying in any random direction... cheap POS's getting retured first thing tommarow for a better pair. what i realy need is a pair of tongs with a decent reach. keep getting cooked trying to retreve my peace of metal from the forge

heres a look of what it looks like so far. im not shure if your suppose to spend a lot of time to get it to look like that. but it took me about an hour and a half - 2 hours to get that far

16990.attach

Edited by Danz409

Great that you have a place to call "home". It will really help you get more time at the forge.

Some things to think about. Try to get some real charcoal instead of the BBQ brickettes that you are using. If you have room, try making some from scrap timber, takes a bit of time but saves lots of money. Charcoal will burn cleaner and hotter for you.

Get some good tongs for holding those spikes. Spikes are really quite awkward to handle till you get them reduced to some realistic dimensions.

Keep at it.

Two things Danz,

First, for a better fire, you can get lump charcoal pretty inexpensively at GFS, they sell a 20 lb bag normally for $12 and it does go on sale for as little as $7.50. I find that I have to break up the larger solid pieces, but the large flats get laid on top of my lively style forge as reflectors to keep the heat on my work piece.

Second, you can make tongs yourself. There are several very good tutorials either in the Blueprints section here or videos (I find them to be a bit more helpful) on Youtube.

Tutorials in the blueprints section: Blueprints 000-100 | articles

Youtube videos: YouTube - Forging Blacksmith Tongs
or YouTube - Forging a bolt head tong, part 1. (several parts).

Best regards and welcome to the craft,
Tim

I would suggest that you find some other material to learn blacksmithing or knife making on than railroad spikes. Yeah, the look and glamor is there, but they are hard to hang onto, and present many more problems forging them - especially the newer ones. The recent ones WORK HARDEN dramatically! Something to do with the metal alloy used. The more you heat it and hammer it, the harder it gets to work! After a little forging, it becomes almost impossible to work with a hand hammer. A friend got a bucket full when they redid the tracks behind his shop. He did some quick repair for the guys, and asked about possibly getting some spikes. They gave him a bucket full in appreciation for his help with that repair. He usually makes small tomahawk heads out of them. But he quickly moves to using the power hammer with them. They just get harder to forge the more you heat/work them.

Any covered shop area is GREAT! You don't have to carefully pack everything away and tarp it over all the time. My "shop" here on the farm is a couple sheets of roofing tin nailed to a couple 2x6's held up by old tipi poles. And then some woven plastic tarps hanging down the sides. The important part is that it keeps the rain off of me, and most of the snow out. Dirt floor, of course. But I only have to worry about hot stuff falling down on any dry leaves blown in. I also don't have to worry about stuff ... walking away! The local scum know better than to try to steal from me. My big concern is friends ... borrowing ... tools from my shop! But we all worry about that!

Mikey

Your on your way to having a workable little smithy, you have a decent start, be patient and keep you eyes out and before you know it you'll have a decent selection of tools, I would have to say that is how most all of us got what we have, except for those who were fortunate enough to inherit a complete set up.

Most places that sell charcoal briquetts will also usually sell lump charcoal or it may be called hardwood charcoal, depends on mfg., using it will make a world of difference.
If you can't find it at any local stores then google it, I'm sure you can find a co. that makes it in your area, or try a mom & pop hardware store and ask them to order it for you.

welder19

not exactly if these are new or old. found them laying on the ground along a older set of what looked to be rarely used tracks. some parts look like it would cause de-railment
and iv even found one thats rusted so bad the top is missing
i dont thank these are the newer ones

and yea. iv noticed some problems with the charcoal im useing
A. throws ALOT of sparks
B. burns fairly quickly
C. not hot enugh to get the metal past the bright orange stage
D. produces ALOT of ash. find myself haveing to shake my grile in my firepot to unclog it

Edited by Danz409

where/what is GFS iv never heard of them
i live in the cincinnati area so if there around ill keep an eye out for a sale
if not. ill just keep on my search for coal

GFS is Gordon Food Service and there are several in your area. Here is a link: GFS Marketplace Locations Search Results

You will quickly find that getting the heat you want is no longer a problem with the lump charcoal.

By the way, I really like your anvil. I am using a nicely cut out rail anvil for now, but it is stable and held at a good working height. I don't have a covered area to work in though, so I'm kinda jealous about that. :)

Best regards,
Tim

hey, get to a local antique store and hunt around their tool section. You can usually pick up a pair of real antique blacksmiths tongs for about 10-15 bucks, that work just fine. At least you'll have a set of real tongs to use right away . . .

Try to hunt for a jaw shape & size of what you think you'll be working with most (1/2" round).

When I got started, I would stop in at every antique shop I passed, and rummage through their antique tools. I bought a set of tongs from just about every place, ended up with a whole mess of good usable tongs for under 50 bucks. (Also you can pick up an old square jaw wrench for 10 bucks to make a twisting wrench).

learning to make your own stuff can come in due time . . .

Using charcoal briquettes just gives you problems. They are made from ground up charcoal mixed with clays and glues, and then formed into those briquettes. They are designed to burn at a fairly even rate and temp. Plus they produce TONS of ash as they burn.

Lump charcoal is just the charred wood. No clays, glues, binders mixed in. Just the carbon fuel left form the wood. I can buy it at the local Menards store. Even wally world occasionally carries it. And more stores now stock it for the ... gourmet ... bar-b-que people. It gives them better heat with less chemicals than the briquettes. So check with most any store selling bar-b-que stuff. And the one grocery store used to be able to order some from Royal Oak.

And lump charcoal just burns up fast. You will consume lots of fuel as you work. Just part of the natural process. Plus you will get much much better heat - so be sure to watch your metal closely. Or you will melt/burn the end off!

The newer railroad spikes are the "tough" ones. Those rusted ones on the old track will generally be the old version. But there were at least 2 grades of them - different carbon content. Some would harden and heat-treat, and other wouldn't. Something to watch for. Plus, be careful about picking up anything from along railroad tracks. That is considered private property, and picking things up would then be theft. If they want to, they can charge and prosecute you for picking up those spikes - or even walking on their property.

Mikey

Mikey

update on the progress:
melted blower: added 6 inches of pipe and its icey cold where my blower is now. so no worries about that anymore

for tongs: I cant make them without them, so i picked up a pair of larger size pliers at harbor freaght for $3, and suppriseingly despite the "made in china" slaped on the side. they work rather well

fuel: signing up with the local blacksmithing group, " SOFA "
and they sell coal to mimbers for $10 for 50 punds. clamed to be realy good for smthing. ill be going to the next meeting to enjoy myself and pick some up. untell then i found my local wally-world wana be store (mijer) had some hardwood lump charcoal. just finished burning my briquets so ill get to play with this on my next forgeing burn.

hammer time!: ok so i discoverd that yes. the hammers i was useing was FAR underweaght for this project. i also got a pair of hammers a 2 punder and a 2.5 punder from harbor freaght too. im favering the 2.5 this thing make metal move reguardless if it wants to or not! i love it! new hammer flattend the blade MUCH flatter and was able to fix ALOT of the mess i had on it seems like i have a decent shop now

thank you everyone for all the advice! extreamly helpfull group here at IFI!

What is this stuff you call rain, and snow?:rolleyes:

I am looking to put some sort of a smithy up just to stop the wind, and shade from the sun. 109 and breezy today.

Rain and snow is what nice places to live have part of the year so you appreciate summer. I stop sweating around 106 and start rendering instead. 109, How horrible I hope you can escape soon.

It's around 60f light breeze and scattered cumulus clouds today. Positively delightful day to get in some work. ;)

Frosty

. . .

lack of tools realy kicked me in the but. i just went to the store today and got some channel locks and vise grips, the vise grips work great on the blade end but when i need to hold the handle side of my project (wider bar/sqire) type metal the locks did great for the first 30 min into my project. and now they keep sliping and nothing more dangerus then a peace of hot metal flying in any random direction... cheap POS's getting retured first thing tommarow for a better pair. what i realy need is a pair of tongs with a decent reach. keep getting cooked trying to retreve my peace of metal from the forge

Danz409,
Last time I bought good channel locks or vise grips up here they were $20 to $30 or more for good ones of useful size and as you found they don't always work very well. If you don't want to make your first set of tongs try a Google search or check some of the blacksmithing supply sources you find on this site. You can get some good ones in the $25 to $40 range plus shipping. There is a bewildering variety available and many are designed specifically for blade smithing. For my first sets I settled for a large wolfs jaw style and one designed to hold from 3/8 to 1/2" round or square stock. Both are very versatile and beat channel locks and vise griips hands down. With them I should be able to make any other tongs I might need. Good luck.

Bill

Hey Frosty,
there are two things that I hate more than the heat, being cold, and wet.

I moved here in 2005, and haven't regretted it. We average 4"-4.5" of rain, and it does snow in Vegas, and out in the Boonies where I live every so often. There is even a ski lodge on Mt Charleston -elevation 11,918' We average 350 sunny days, so we have plenty of outdoors stuff that we can do year round. As for the heat, the bad part is from June - August where it hits 100 everyday with lows in the upper 70's to mid 80's. The lows are reached around 3AM ,and you are back to 100 by 9AM. Usually a week with highs around 112-115. Humidity is in the single digits (as low as 1%) and getting up to 50% or so during our summer Monsoon season. We will still be pushing 80's around Thanksgiving, and during the winter it will drop into the 20's. Clothes dry faster outside than in the dryer.:D You learn to adapt.

Kalifornia wanted to make me a felon for owning guns I bought there 15-20 years ago, but have what they consider "evil features" now. Here I can walk to the end of the street, and go shooting. If I want to rock and roll I can shoot some of my friends machine guns, mortars, or cannons. The only things I miss about Kalifornia are the trees, and fresh produce.:(

I would like to get up your way someday. My Dad was stationed at Eielson AFB in the 50's, and had some neat stories. Oh yea one other thing, I have yet to see one mosquito since I have moved here.

as of today, my tools are far more inpressive. when i posted this. the problems i was havieng is clear... the only 2 hammers i had was the 2 on the far right in the photo and the only tongs i had was the crappy channel locks i already returned, would of adjusted them. but they dont have the nut most have to adjust... it was a rivit... anyway my needless to say with the new additions to my tool collection simple tasks are becomeing far more easyer!

mytools.jpg