I Forge Iron

Minimalist tool list.

I am at the forefront of beginners of smithing. I haven't done a first project yet. I am of course looking for the minimal amount of tools to get some experience, as well as a minimalist setup. Any recommendations on that, as well as a great starters book?

Maybe there is a thread that has already answered these questions that I have not found. A link to that thread would also be great if it exists.

A heat source

something to hold the hot metal with if it is small/short stock. if it is long enough you don't need tongs.

something to hit with

something resembling an anvil

Once you have the basics you can make more tools as you need them. After awhile it will seem like the tools are breeding by themselves.

later you can move to hardies, fullers, hot cuts, tongs, etc., but a lot will depend on what you want to forge with your new found addiction.

If you are just starting, my vote for minimum tooling would be a car, tank of gas, and a free weekend to drive to a local guild meeting or hammer-in. You can beat your brains out for a long time and develop bad body mechanics without a coach handy. A weekend at a good hands on oriented hammer-in will jump start you at least 6 months.

Mike-hr has a very good point. If you can find a local blacksmithing group and use their equipment. That way you will have a better idea of what equipment works well for you, and you will develop skills much faster with supervision.

Otherwise most folks have the minimal tools around the house, a pair of pliers or vise grips, a hammer of some sort, and a heat source such as a barbecue, wood stove, fireplace, torch, or even a pile of firewood in the backyard. And something to bang it on such as a block of iron, steel such as the head of old sledge hammer.

When I first read this post, my first thought was "hitter, hittee, hit-onner, hittee heater" - I call them the 'H-quad'. but after reading through, I would have to strongly agree with Mike-hr and say the minimal tool list would be another experienced blacksmith.
Watch, learn, do. of course, you can only do that if there are others of a similar bent in your area.

God-speed