I Forge Iron

New Power Hammer

Hello all; Well my project is complete I have a 100# + power hammer up and running. I'm using a 1 1/2 hp. motor 2 jack shafts for reduction and better power. It strikes at 150 blows a min and I can change that with an easy pulley and belt. All working joints and hinges are 1" stock with zerks for lube.
The ram it's self is 2 pieces of 1x6 24" welded together and the connecting arms are 1x3 x 18". 3 leaf springs are used.about 50" in length cover springs are shorter. Anvil base is an old 300 size O2 cylinder capped with 1 1/2" plate and a solid 6" dia round stub with the tops of railroad rail for anvil faces. It is a solid machine,If I over built it,it's because it will last a life time with no down time except for lube and tighten check the grade 8 bolts. The motor tilts to tighten the drive belt easier than adding a idler wheel and spring and so on.
I only wished that this site would allow larger files to be viewed have made 2 videos of the working hammer but there 28 and 34 meg files. My camera takes
8 meg pictures so I cant do that either. anyway it's done and i'm using it most everyday making billet stacks soft,hard for folded knife blades.

Edited by Hammbone
error in number of springs,

Hammbone,

You may have to resize the videos to be able to post them. Try googling for a file editing program on the web. There is usually free downloads of different ones available.

I'd love to see your hammer in action.

If that don't work, I'm sure the admins here will help get them resized and posted.

Edited by keykeeper

Ok;
Frosty, KeyKeeper, It is placed on youtube, Name, Power Hammer in action, by Hammbone2. it hasent been processed yet but should be soon. there for I cant give you a link. Enjoy,,, It's suppose to be in the How To section. I dont know how long it takes youtube to process a video..

Edited by Hammbone
added to.

Hammbone, Cool hammer.
I built a smaller hammer similar to yours. When I was at 32# ram, and belt drive, I noticed some of the stop/start that you see on your video. When I went to 45# it was much worse, and I smelled burning belt all the time. I converted to a compact spare drive, and the much increased flywheel effect greatly smoothed my hammer, and gave much better ability to feather.
All in all a nice hammer, welcome to the club of those who have built their own power hammer.

Thankyou all for the nice comments. It makes one feel happy when you Senior Members
say nice things to a new comer. When I joined up to I Forge and made the statement to gleen the net for pictures, I'm sure some said under breath good luke, or I wanna see this one. I started the night I made that statement way back around the first of June 09.Planning,snatching pic's,foridging for parts,and designing from just pictures,I had a good idea from the start. Having worked in heavy industry for nearly 40 yrs and being 55 yrs of age.I think it all worked out well. My father and Grandfather fixed TV sets, I played in the shop with a battery charger welding razor blades together with the 36 volt charger and pencil leads as an arc and twist tie wire for filler. 2 pairs of sunglasses and a small tray filled with cold spray to keep the O2 away did the trick. age 12-13. Grandpa seen what I was doing and he was speechless. After being scolded for abusing the charger my next birthday I was presented with an 80 amp welder. 7/64 and 3/32 rods and a real welding hood. I was bit and bit hard and ever since then it's been a welding life for me. I dont do razor blades any more but my tig welder with .010 electrode I can do beer cans. I still have that old welder and it still works.After Grandad past I have the battery charger too. I love working with steel.I make almost all the things I need.And the power Hammer is one of my best attempts. Thought and planning do make a difference,It's just placing those thoughts in mind to steel that takes the time. One other funny thing was my wife Alice, I told her about the hammer and wanting to build one and after seeing how much money the real McCoy's are going for she approved the project. I will admit it did take alot of thinking.no working drawings to go by. The springs were the first to find, Then the base was made.The lower anvil base was made. All these sub assemblies were made and stored on my big table.A month goes by and Alice comes out the garage and says wheres this Hammer your building. I didnt say a- thing at first, She blurted out "Your just out here hidding from me" LOL I couldnt keep a straight face to save my life. I had pieces made,only things wernt going together just yet.No plans alot of thought as to what steps to do so I dont have to drag out the Carbon Arc,,Yes I have one of those noisey things and only have used it once or twice.But happy to have one when that rare case comes along. After My Son seen what I was doing He asked me," Well Dad what ya going to name it. It's a bloody Power Hammer,Havent thought of a name,really wasent going to name it. But thoughts kept spinning around in my head and it came to me. Seeing that my loving wife of 24yrs thought I was hidding from her we will call it "Alices Folly" That went over like a lead balloon,under breath remarks and a few sign language signs and the name is cemented. I for the life of me made one mistake and it didnt involve the carbon arc yet. I made a turn buckel and used 2 right hand nuts and bolts, I guess if that's my only mistake,I consider my self lucky. Any of you know where I can find a 1" left hand bolt and nut? That's going to be a hard find! It's an honest mistake I guess and if thats the only one I made I feel pretty good about the build.
Next is paint,I hate machine green,It needs to be bright. Any ideas? Maybe a bright yellow or blue or black and yellow . The latter always worked well for my hi speed RC planes I use to build. One fellow on here did a hammer in blue,that looks cool. But in any color the Name will be a bright contrast to the Hammer. I guess I have rattled on enough and thanks again for praises and complements

Edited by Hammbone
spelling isnt the besy plz bear with me and Ispell wont work on the computer it locks it up

Hammbone, Cool hammer.
I built a smaller hammer similar to yours. When I was at 32# ram, and belt drive, I noticed some of the stop/start that you see on your video. When I went to 45# it was much worse, and I smelled burning belt all the time. I converted to a compact spare drive, and the much increased flywheel effect greatly smoothed my hammer, and gave much better ability to feather.
All in all a nice hammer, welcome to the club of those who have built their own power hammer.

Could you explain the term "compact square drive" please?

I think the term "feather" means smoother to start / slow down, Is this correct?

And an excellent Hammer Hammerbone

Hammbone:

Sure we get requests for all kinds of things from "new guys" and as I'm sure you know most of them never go anywhere after they get all the info available. What most of us do when an unknown asks for info like you did is answer and then reserve judgement till we see where it goes.

So, now we have an idea what caliber player you are. From basic idea and a request for info to working power hammer in under two months. No plans, No working drawings, By ear from pictures, and scrounged materials and components.

Sure it may need a little tuning and tweaking but it's a respectable unit as it stands.

You're a player, you have my attention brother. ;)

And lastly, Junior member, Member and Senior member is solely based on how many posts you send. Somewhere around 50 (I think) and you're a "Member" and at 100 you're a "SENIOR MEMBER!!!!" WooHOO! (trumpet fanfare and drum rolls galore!") That and a buck will get you a cup of coffee . . . Somewhere cheap. ;)

Frosty

Thankyou all for the nice comments........ I made a turn buckel and used 2 right hand nuts and bolts,....Any of you know where I can find a 1" left hand bolt and nut? .....

If there is a Fastenal store or other fastener supply store near you, then you might want to stop in and talk to one of the guys at the sales counter. They might be able to find you a fastener that is not listed on their web site. :D

On the other hand, can you drill the nut and bolt and lock it in place with a cotter pin or roll pin?

Rigging tensioners we know as turnbuckles have a left and right hand thread at each end, and come in many different sizes

Construction and agricultural (seen on rear of tractors to allow adjustment to attachment on rear) suppliers or Marine Chandlers?

Whereabouts are you located?

I think you have the start of a real nice hammer. It's simple, has alot of room for die opening if you want to use tooling, and very few moveing parts. All are a big plus. I would like to suggest a few things to try. If you watch the video the crank arm and the light colored spot on the jack shaft pulley you can see the hammer is slowing down as the dies close. You might try adjusting the die opening to about 1.5 or 2 inches open at the bottom of the stroke to allow the ram to throw it,s self on to the work. Also I can't see real well but it may help to shorten the leaves on the spring so they are progresivly shorter. This will add some flexibility to help your hammer smooth out. When I look at the video the bottom run of the belt from motor to jackshat flops as the dies strike the worrk suggest the belt is slipping on the motor pulley. The mods above may help this also. Don't stop tinkering with it till you get the way you want it. Looks like your on your way to alot of fun.
Phil

Edited by peacock

Yes Peacock I do see what your tring to explain, Are you saying that I would get more power from the hammer set the way you explain? When I drilled my crank I made one hole at 4 1/2 inches and one shorter at 3". Yes I do need to experiment with it.and I appreciate your welcomed input,beleave me I do. When I first started to use the thing I thought for 100# weight it was hitting a little soft. I'm heading to Fastenal tomorrow we have one in town and get a new bolt and nut left hand this time.. Total travel is around 9" and thinking that free fall from 9" should be hitting harder. Yes my foot was not stepping completely down on the trip. I'm going to lower that and inch or so to get a better feel. It is placed at the upper limit,not knowing how the belts would wear. I made some shinny belt guides that hold the belt slack forward so I dont get to much rubbing and the smell of belt. It was much easier to make the motor rock back and forth than to set up an ideler wheel and so on. I have used a 100# little giant and it wasent small by any means. As I recall there about 10-12 ft tall and it hit hard. Lori also had a 50# giant and it was nice too. but I didnt like the thought of repairing the old hammers. Cost and so on. I needed a hammer and needed it now. Should I try the shorter stroke of the crank that would free up an 1 1/2" ? John B In In Illinois,, Mattoon and we have a rural king supply, I hadnt thought about a tractor turn buckel thats a great Idea.. Peacock, the upper and lower springs are about 4" away from the center spring. I was lucky and got both sets of springs from the truck. When Lori Sims taught me about welding the old fasion way it got me bit bad.I'm hooked, lCourse when she showed me how it was with a coal forge and I made one of them from pictures too. Took Ideas and incorperated them into what I wanted. I have a enlargable firebox on my coal forge,an insert I can lift out and the firebox doubles in size for larger forgings. But gas is the way not having to play fireman and smith at the same time.

Edited by Hammbone
add on more text

Thanks John B. I guess I will have to find a tractor hitches turn buckle. I stopped by the local Fasenal and the sales clerk looked at me as if I was an idiot. She asked me what in the world I was use such a bolt for. I walked over to the display of turn buckles and showed her. She appoligized for thinking I was nutz and went to work looking in the many books and catalogs. No luck. She explained she was new to the job,and several people had nothing to do but to make this poor girl run in circles looking for things that didnt exsist. Kinda like on board a carrier asking a newby to find a yard of flight line. or asking one to find a bucket of steam. You know..