I Forge Iron

Swordman needs smith

donkeyoaty

Hello...
Firstly I am not a smith of any kind, I am a fencer!
A fencer who has become bored with the standard run of the mill production sports weapons around and wondered if any of smiths here was willing to take on quite a tight commision for a reasonable price!

The commision will need to fit a standard sports foil blade.
I can produce handle pommel but am struggling with the hilt!
So anyone up for the challenge?
I can produce plans if anyone wants to try...I am open to haggling over price.
post here...donkeyoaty

So if I understand correctly, what you want it a one-of-a-kind, high quality blade, properly researched to have the temper and springiness of your style of fencing, that will fit a foil pommel, completely guaranteed and insured against damages and possible injuries. and all that hand-made for a low "reasonable price". :D

My idea of fair price, has shocked a few that seem to think $200 for a Viking blade is over priced. so my quote of $3k for a pattern welded Type X nearly gave them a heart attack. Reasonable Price is in the eye of the check writer...

Edited by steve sells

As you can see from the responses donkeyoaty... what you are asking for is probably going to be pricey and we would need to know a little more information. What size is a standard sports foil blade? Is this blade going to be used in competition or training? What is the expectations that you will have for this sword? There are several more questions that I cannot think of at the moment that I would say would be relevant to the discussion of your sword.
From reading back over your post while typing this response, are you looking to have a handle, guard, or pommel made? What type of materials are acceptable to have it made out of? Or do you know what is available?
Post your name and location and I am sure a knifemaker or swordsmith might speak up if they know you are near there location.
Good luck with this.
Thanks
Bryan

Okay, I'm taking my original comment back. I misread the question as wanting a fencing blade made. Hand made hilts and guards are something else entirely and carry a reasonable level of liability.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty
Poor reading comprehension

I fence with a recreation group and have made my own clam shell guard and cross guards to fit epee, schlager, and dagger. I also know someone in the group who has made mortuary hilts for some of the group.
So with that background, what is it you are looking for? There are a lot of different styles of hilts, historic and fantasy.
Where are you located? There maybe someone close you can meet with face to face.
If you want to use this for sport fencing, are there rules to keep the hilt legal?

If you want to send me a PM you can.

ron