I Forge Iron

LG 25# price?

I'm looking at a LG25# I'm told its in good running condition the asking price is $2000. I'm thinkin this is a good deal and should jump on it even though it will be 2 or 3 month till I have a shop to use it in.

What do you guys think?

"Carpe diem"

Translation :Carpe diem is a phrase from a Latin poem by Horace . It is popularly translated as "seize the day". The general definition of carpe is "pick, pluck, pluck off, gather" as in plucking, although Horace uses the word in the sense of "enjoy, make use of, seize."

How will you know if it is truly in good shape? Look at post 3 above. These hammers can be as much as 100 years old, and some may have been used for decade after decade, nonstop. On the other hand, they were still being built until about 1995, so it may be mint. I once found one that had never struck steel. It was used by a basket maker to spinter wood, and was just a few years old. Naturaly, It was sold within hours. I am pretty sure the people who took over little giants' remains can tell you what year it was built. If it really is in good condition, it is a very good price.

Edited by arftist

Prices for heavy stuff can depend a lot on WHERE YOU ARE AT.

Which you did not mention in your post.

I'd look over it closely as "good running condition" can be anything from pristine to you could stick your finger in the babbet bearing slop!

Out here that would be a bragging price; other places it might be a bit high.

Welcome aboard Lyman, glad to have ya.

A lot depends on your location.

Here in Alaska it'd be a good price of it ran at all. Other places it might get you laughed at. Test it, plug it in and if there's nothing else use a piece of wood between the dies. Does it run smoothly, is there slop in the link arms? Does the clutch engage smoothly? Doies it make a lot of rattling, banging, clanking, screeching noise. (ANY screeching is bad)

If we know your general location it may turn out there's an experienced smith close enough to advise you in person, maybe even knows the hammer.

Frosty

If you'll click "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference.

I just paid $1800.00 for one. I had to replace the spring ($70.00)and put new bushings in. It runs like a sewing machine now. 2000.00 seems like a fair price if it is not worn too bad.If you cannot do the machining work yourself it can get costly. The people at little giant are very nice but the parts are expensive. I would really take some time and go over it and see it run. I have been looking at hammers regularly for two years. It never fails that a new one pops up every 2 weeks or so. Some sell very cheap and others are priced based on the current price of gold. Of course the latter never sell. Good luck

Thanks for all of your input it helped a lot

I had a look at her today she's beautiful smooth running and whisper quite

I think I'm in love .....so needless to say I gave him a deposit I'll be going back Monday with a trailer to pic her up

Thanks again I'll let you guy know how it all works out I'm sure there will be more questions