I Forge Iron

Barb wire

Angus

Okay si i was tearing down an old chicken coop of my grandsires he build back in the 40's and found some barbdwire and had a thought maybe I can make a knife out of some, the same way you do out of cable. So I twisted some up to a pretty good stock size and welded it and brought it to a knife shape and im letting it cool down before I do some grinding work. I will post in a bit to let you guys know how it turns out.

Angus

Well i just talk to an old black smith around here and he said it might work out if you quinch it right so he said try a gallon of water 1 pound of rock salt and 8 oz on dawn dish soap that might work.

Angus.....

I'm glad it's not just me that's looked at barbed wire thinking 'pattern welding' :D Though I haven't got around to it myself :rolleyes: stick a bit of good steel in for the cutting edge, but it's the pattern that makes things like this worth doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was very suprised it did. I took about 4 feet of it and dubled it and then dubled that and so forth all the while twisting untill I got a piece about a 1'' in diameter and then I started to weld. It welded very easily. I got the blade shaped were I wanted it and heated it to the right temp and dipped it in oil 4 times reheating it every time and then I tempered it in the oven and it turned out really good , very suprised.

I found a great use for barbed wire. on my welding sign i welded 3 strands together on each each side. Heavy gold flake paint. In the wind they move enough to lool like sparks.
Ken.

At risk of sounding like I am begging, I would love to see a photo of that sign :)

• 4 years later...

I was wondering if I bumped this if the original poster or anyone still had the pics, or if anyone else has used barbed (or "barbless") wire? I have an entire spool of it (barbless as not to scratch horses) and will be learning to forge weld with junk and scraps like in Goddard's $50 Knife Shop book. I have done lapidary (jade, agates, local jaspers etc.) and currently, partially support myself making archery bows, all of which had their beginnings in jury-rigged McGyver-type setups, grown piecemeal from dumpster dives to modest, yet semi-professional shop areas, so I think I'll enjoy it and pick it up in an acceptable enough fashion ^_^ 

I guess a thin layer of galvanize zinc just scales/burns off?

read in the safety section about the hazzards of zink and being poisoned from burning it first.

The pics are lost to the internet host that they were posted on (a major reason we try to get people to post here not off site) and Angus has not been logged in to IFI since March 2011

Thanks; great reference. I take safety more seriously these days like I wish I had earlier, with one nightcrawler scar, and history of breathing in what I considered acceptable levels of burnt and dust-atomized minerals being released from worked stone or wood. I won't make the same mistakes again, some smithy hazards seem to pale many of those stemming from my existing sticks and stones (the big 1947 table saw, perhaps, excepted).