I Forge Iron

First completed knife

markb

It's taken me along time. Tell me what you think. Lots of mistakes, some obvious, others not so much.

I started this with 1084, and it was going to be a double edged dagger w/ full tang. Started following the steel, big mistake, lots of extra work. Decided to pattern after a pic of a Scagle repo. Things started to go much better. Thanks Rich Hale, you sugjested having a pattern and following it.

Mostly all files and sanding on the blade, flat grind (draw file) tempered 2 times @ 400 F. 1hr. each.

41/2" blade 5" handle of hickory(axe handle) tapped a piece of 1/4" brass rod to 8-32 for butt.

Tell me what you think. I need all the help I can get.

14053.attach

14054.attach

14055.attach

14056.attach

14057.attach

14058.attach

Edited by markb

Heck man,
that is WAY better than my first knife.
What did you use to quench the knife in prior to tempering?

No matter, just curious. (I am trying to decide if I really need to heat the canola oil that I am using when the temp is about 70-90F).
The knife is really good, period. It is great for a first.

The good news is that it gets easier from here. The one catch to that is, as you get better, you become more able to see little mistakes. So, it gets easier in general, but there are still plenty of challenges to keep it interesting. Judging from what I read of those who have decades of experience, that continued growth and challenge aspect never goes away.

welcome,

Kevin

Thanks for all your compliments, much appreciated, it inspires me to do more.

New Guy, blacksmithing, knife-making has been an interest for 30 yrs. but I'm "beginner" still. I forged a bunch of spike knives but no heat treat or handles, a bunch of unfinished stuff, this is the first completed one.

Dodge, I didn't see the knotical side ,but it is on a coil of "rope";)

Kevin, I quenched in ATF at 140 degrees, and those scratches, gaps and pits drive me crazy. I was hoping for perfection but got realistic and finished it. I'm inspired to do more and learned alot.
I've been watching your builds and am amazed at your speedy progress.

Mark that is a really nice knife. You pay a lot of attention to detail and it shows. One thing I learned when using antler, those little pits that show on the end,,,Catch some sawdust from a similiar piece the talcum powder kind...sprinkle it over the pits and add just a little dab of super glue; may want a little masking tape dam so it does not run all over. Finish it like you did and it will help a lot.

Mark, that's a fine blade.. Just try and not lose it so I can see it in real life next time I catch up with you..I'm sort of remorseful you had a lot of time to finish this as opposed to working in the trades and getting capitol to finish your shop. My grandfather told me, 'Tough times don't last, tough folks do.' That's been my mantra this spring...See you around.

Rich, It's those gaps, scratches, and pits that really drag the quality down but seem amazingly hard to eliminate. Your tip will help clean things up. Thanks for taking a look.

Mike Hope we can get together this summer. I've really been enjoying the time off, lots of time in the shop. Your granddad probably went through the depression, and I think about those folks alot. They made it, so can we.

Hey Steve, maybe I could do electric knives LOL. that roll of rope was sit'n on the floor beggin' to be used.