I Forge Iron

Interesting powerhammer

Future Apalachian Power Hammer builders take note: this hammer design solves the one defect in the design of the Rusty and Dusty series. Rather than a set of rollers which slide along the spring, this heavy duty hammer is directly coupled, spring to tup. The horizontal movement provided by the rollers used on the Dusty style is provided by a link between the mast and the center of the spring pack. I call this a defect, only because of an excess of noise caused by a slapping between the springs and rollers at each end of the stroke. This older design solves this rather readily, and will be incorperated in my next rebuild. Thank you for this posting.

Future Apalachian Power Hammer builders take note: this hammer design solves the one defect in the design of the Rusty and Dusty series. Rather than a set of rollers which slide along the spring, this heavy duty hammer is directly coupled, spring to tup. The horizontal movement provided by the rollers used on the Dusty style is provided by a link between the mast and the center of the spring pack. I call this a defect, only because of an excess of noise caused by a slapping between the springs and rollers at each end of the stroke. This older design solves this rather readily, and will be incorperated in my next rebuild. Thank you for this posting.

I see your point on this connection between the spring and the head.

But you're comparing a Clydesdale to a Poodle......

The leaf spring by it's "see saw motion" means the end of the spring is moving in an arc, not a straight up and down reciprocating motion like the other hammer designs, helve etc. Something has to make up for this arc, you could make the distance between the spring pivot and the end point long, making this lateral, front to back movement of that pivot point a smaller degree of movement? That won't work, the spring would need to be very long....not an effective hammer.

This hammer uses power to over come, not to mention the MONSTER pack of springs. That combined with the MUCH heavier slide/head combo compared to a Rusty means that you can use a diesel engine to power it.

In my opinion a fixed pivot point on the head end of a Rusty style hammer, would be too much for a 1/2 or even 3/4 HP motor to overcome, or would have to be such a heavy joint to take the stress, something else would break. The simplest pivot, is the slide between shafts arrangement, much more and it would require a total re-thinking of the design. At most this arrangement will cause some "chatter", which is nothing compared to the dies hitting each other, and the metal you are working.

Not a criticizm, just an observation.

It is very interesting to see these old hammers that are still operating. It gives a real insight into how men in the past devised great machines to ease the burden of forging large material and to do it faster then before. They may not have had the best running machines but some of them have survived for a long time in part to over design of the machines parts. When you consider how many of these old machines went to the breakers yards it is amazing that it is still with here today to be up for sale on Ebay.:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Arr, the frustration. Does anyone remember the makers name of this hammer? It has the solution to the only design problem of the apalacian series(IMO) that I hadn't worked out yet. Thanks
I tried calling the owners numbers, but maybe didn't have the right country code.

The problem is that the vertical motion of the tup is transfered from the spring helve by a set of rollers mounted at the top of the tup. The end of the spring rides between the rollers and either pushes down on a roller or pushes up on the other roller. due to the changing angle of the spring as the hammer cycles, the rollers need to be spaced apart further than the thickness of the spring, in my case, .5" space for a .3125 spring thickness. The result of this space is the production of the bulk of the noise created by this hammer, every time the tup reverses direction. On the hammer in question, this ploblem has been eliminated by having a pivot mount between the tup and the spring helve, with a double pivot link to connect the spring to the mast or frame of the hammer. I know how to recreate it, but it would certainly save me time and mental energy to be able to see the picture again, and make notes. I don't know if you remember when I first built the hammer, I sent you some pictures. At that time, you called it a "real beefeater". Everything else still works fine, but naturaly, anything I can do to make it quieter is worth doing, and would most likely lengthen the maintainence intervaql, by eliminating the shock of the slapping.

Hi All . The problem you speak of was solved years ago by the Bradley company. The helve is attached to the ram(tup) with a leather strap and a rubber cushion. It allows for horiziontal movement with zero slack or noise. This makes the hammer smoother, quieter, and more relieable.
Phil http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/3634

Edited by peacock