I Forge Iron

Show us your keyrings!

Since they're usually quick items, easy to make and relatively good sellers, I did a search and didn't find a thread on this so, in an effort to conglomerate inspiration for beginner and advanced smiths alike, lets see those key rings!

P1010142.JPG
Here's one I recently did. Raised veins and baked paraffin wax treated. Yes, that is a twoonie for those that don't know Canadian currency. :p

Here's a group I made up for a small town festival. I gave them to be used as Door Prizes. And I've had a number of inquiries since then. I just did it to help out the town festival. But that "advertising" does pay off. The little fishes were initially cut out with a pattern plasma cutter. Jay over at Big River Forge came up with the pattern in larger sizes for some of his lawn-art stuff. And then we shrunk it down for keyrings.

Keyrings.jpg

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Edited by Mike Ameling
switched to that linked thumbnail picture I keep forgetting to use

Many years ago, I made up a simple story-board of forging a leaf keyring. I made it up to bring along when doing a demo. It helped explain the steps/stages I was working on - without having to repeat myself too often. And, at the time I made this up, I was still using a spring fuller to neck in behind the lump that will become the leaf. Now I just lay it over the corner of the anvil and fuller it in that way - quicker/simpler.

ForgingLeaf1.jpg

Leaf keyrings are a good project for a public demo at something like a threshing/steam engine show. You can generally get one made up within 5 to 20 minutes - depending upon how much you talk and show the people. And you can complete it before the attention span of kids gets tooo stretched!

But I usually end up giving them away at the shows. There is usually some little kid there intently watching it get formed/forged out. Or some cute girl watching.

One time I had a young girl (around 5 or 6) watching while her parents were a few yards over talking about some old gas engines with another guy at his display. You could see the ... excitement/amazement ... in her eyes as that bar of metal took shape - with lots of running commentary. When I finished it, I put that ring on it and then handed it to her to look at. And then I told her she could have it. She beamed that smile, said a thank you, and went bubbling over to her mom to show her. A minute later she came back and handed it back to me. She said she ... did not have any keys to put on it! I smiled and suggested to her that maybe her mother had some keys and might like it. Another beaming smile and thank you, then off she went skipping over to her parents.

Aaah, the simple thoughts and world of children.

Mikey - that grumpy ol German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. My friends and I have sold the leaf keyrings at the threshing show demonstrations. Pricing has been a little ... funny ... with them. At $3 each they will sell all day, and almost as fast as you make them. At $4, people think about it a while before they buy. At $5 or $6, they tend to pass them by. At $8 or $10, other people start to get interested in them (but want to dicker a bit). When Jay had the Big River Forge retail store open, we sold them for $10. At that low price they are viewed more as a fun souvenir of the show. At the higher price they are viewed as an art/sculpture piece, but you will sell fewer. But too often people see them as just a ... trinket. So I tend to give away more of them - to people who really do appreciate them.

Edited by Mike Ameling
bad spellin

Here are a few things I did a while back. I like the horseshoe because (1) it was the first thing I ever got an actual order for - the lady I gave this one to asked me to make her a dozen more. it is made from 1/4 square stock and is pretty straight forward.
the hammers in the other picture are pretty neat too - heads from 1/4 aquare and the handles from 1/8 round tapered and driven through a drilled hole.

Brian, I am almost embarrassed to be following your post. but you definitely provide something to aspire to, that's for sure

paul

13558.attach

13559.attach

Paul, those are nothing to be embarassed about. I especially like the little hammers!
I've had the opportunity to make lots of key chains and bottle openers. When I was in Austria, they had me make hundreds of them for the museum's gift store. I could make 100 horse head key chains,finished, in an 8 hour day.

No pics or sketches at present, when I next knock one out I'll try to remember to take the camera with me. It's not that hard to do the only tools I used are a hot-sett and a pair of fullers (top & bottom).
I'll try to explain the process... from memory I started with a piece of 16mm (5/8") sq. about 60mm (2 3/8") long, then I upset one end to form the base/feet.
Then from the top (with it standing vertically on it's feet) I hot-cut slightly off centre (the bigger side becomes the horn) about 20mm deep (3/4") and spread them into a T shape to form the face.
Then it's just a matter of forging the heal and horn to shape and fuller in the waist and feet.
I drilled the hardy and pritchel holes, then drifted the hardy hole square.
Dress it up with a file or linisher and you're done.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul...
Nicely done on the anvil!

Got any pics of you making it, or sketches, or willing to do so???

That is one of the best I have seen forged out!

Peyton

Several lady friends showed me the ... use ... they found out for the leaf keyrings I gave them. They use them to help open their pop-top beverage cans! Instead of sliding/using their long fingernails to pull up the tabs. Just slip the leaf under the tab and pull/lever up.

Works for them.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. I generally use 3/8 round rod for my leaf keyrings. About 1 1/2 inches of it makes a good leaf if you hammer it right.

Quango, ..nice key ring.
Some anvils were in the past made by blacksmiths using wrought iron and tool steel face plates welded on, all done with fire welding heats by my standards totally off the wall and remarkable. I know that a lot of us know this. If it is possible a photo documented process of the key ring, or a drawing would be much appreciated. A jewellery version of a blacksmiths made anvil made by a blacksmith. Kinda quirky.