I Forge Iron

induction heater school project !!!!!

hey guys!!!! I was taking with my electricity teacher about a forge powered by a induction heater and he was interested by the projet.

I want to know if some of you have plans of fabrication so that me, my teacher and a tech guy build a induction forge to present to the class!!!!

PS: I also will made one for me because I can't build a propane one at home.

a forge powered by a induction heater

A forge is a container for fire using fuels such as coal, coke, wood, charcoal, gas etc. An induction heater is a coil of wire that heats what is inside the coil by induction.

Please explain your concept so we can understand how you are going to power a forge by an induction heater.

All you gotta do is find 2 old Russian built microwaves and a ham radio, take all the parts out and assemble them backwards, then link them with flux capacitors and add a coil. Depending on the size of the microwaves you find, you should get about 1.21 jigawatts of power from your induction powered forge, enough to melt down a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick championship trophy belt.

Please post pictures of your progress.

Induction heaters heat. Hammers forge. 

Is your induction heater a straight peen heater, cross peen heater, diagonal peen heater, drop forge heater?  We ask so you can get the definition of the terms correct.

If you add your location to your post, we can direct you toward a blacksmith or blacksmithing organization. A couple of hours with them and it will answer a whole lot of questions as well as give you a starting point in the craft. 

The blacksmithing community as a whole is pretty friendly, especially to young people interested in the craft. How ever most of us subscribe to a strict policy of not doing homework for people coming onto the web. If you are diligent and persistent you can find links to how to websites that will explain how to make a basic induction heater that will allow you to forge some steel. Once you learn the terminology and have enough information to ask a limited question, as opposed to an open ended question, we can probably help.  Try looking here as a starting point...   http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/diy-induction-heater.htm

Rob 

The original post was made under induction forges  There is a topic called >Home Build Induction Forge that has 140 posts already. There are another 25 or so posts on the topic of induction. The material is there. The answer is most likely there or there is something close that can be used. 

The terminology used for the project is important. You want/need to be able to communicate which part to hook up to which other part, and what that assemble is called. 

Post 8 and post 10 did provide the answer.   

• 3 months later...

What options would you have for a disinterested blacksmith looking to make a post-vice cross peen induction forge when both of their back yard Russian HAM radios have been reallocated for a tree fort?

(I checked all of the Perez Hilton forums on TMZ.com before posting this question)

Not easy, and I would suspect that your electronics teacher does not know how much difficulty this project entails.  Why don't you start small and make a demonstration version.  I was just talking to someone who was tasked with developing an induction heater that would take a piece of steel up to 2000 F.  I was kind of skeptical, since he said that he did it in an afternoon.  I asked him how he got the steel above the Curie point.  He said that it was very straightforward.  Set up the PWM of the half bridge converter so that it is driven from the feedback of the output coil.  That makes it track the maximum power point as the resonant frequency changes.  He told me that this is only one op amp, and it is only difficult if you don't know what you are doing.  He did say that his converter was low power and multi-killowat units were challenging because of all the parasitics.  If you are doing less than 100 watts, designing a demo unit is fairly straightforward.

The gentleman asked a simple question, with apparent enthusiasm, about an activity some of us want to share. Or would some prefer an exclusive club? Does the part that wants a club include the administration?

MEMBERS AND NONMEMBERS ONLY

Okay guys we have two new guys here so maybe we just tell them the problem with the original question rather than expect modern youth to understand metaphor or allegory.

My friend from Rimouski: The response you received is due to your asking a for very complex solution set with a simple question in the wrong language. AND no I don't mean a national language I'm referring to technical jargon. Technical jargon is a must so people talking about a subject know what the other person is saying. I'm afraid you need to do some serious reading to even be able to ask good questions, as it stands you don't have a chance of understanding plain answers.

Ken: I hate to tell you but you're in the same boat, I'm afraid your knowledge base is too small to know a simple from a complex question. For instance were I to ask: I want to make a trebouchet how many golf clubs do I need? Anyone knowledgeable of either subject can draw only one of two conclusions. First the person asking has no idea what s/he's talking about or secondly s/he's just being a wise acre.

We generally cut a person some slack so we treated our friend from Rimouski like a kid who expects someone to answer his questions rather than doing the basics himself first. If we thought he were being a wise acre often called a Troll and just trying to stir something up, he'd be on moderated status or banned if he tried "Trolling" harder.

Another thing to maybe keep in mind is some of us had to teach ourselves the craft, not only no internet but I didn't have books or even people I could learn from. I started by building fires and beating stuff till I started getting it to do what I wanted. Lots of guys here have decades as professionals invested and learn new things all the time but the knowledge and skills they own were hard won. Some learned from old timers, some paid for classes, some apprenticed in Europe. One thing in common though, any one worth his salt has spent endless hours over a fire and anvil.

Now, just suppose we look at it from the perspective of folk who've worked hard to learn what they have and are willing to share that hard won knowledge with everybody willing to read the hundreds of years of accumulated knowledge stored on IforgIron.com. Here we've invested years and are willing to share but along comes some . . . person who's time is so much more valuable than ours they expect US to repeat the same basic information over and over because their time too valuable to waste reading what's already available.

Think about it and think about the next guy who jumps on US because we poke a little sillyness at a person who THINKS they're so special somebody else should do THEIR work for them.

Would you rather we spoon feed the info out as a parent would to a child or treat folk like adults. So Ken, what do you think, where do you stand?

Frosty The Lucky.

Many of us are also a bit leery about things that can be highly dangerous for people who do not have a thorough grounding of the basics---shown by the lack of the technical vocabulary.  Frankly I would be very upset to find out that someone had misinterpreted my instructions and ended up killing themselves and/or burning down a building.

As per my earlier post: why make the expensive, hard to find instructions induction heater rather than the cheap, well documented propane forge?

Frankly if induction heaters only cost US$200 to build I'd expect every other smithy in the world to be using them.  As it is I have seen in person *1* smith using an induction system to heat steel for forging. (and in 30+ years of smithing I have met a lot of smiths face to face and seen their setups!)