I Forge Iron

Hydraulic Cylinder Source?

Spruce

Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody had a source for hydraulic cylinders, such as could be used in a forging press, for a reasonable amount?  I got the Batson book, and man, apparently the prices for components were much cheaper in 1994.  The recomended cylinder would be something close to a 5" bore, 8" stroke, double acting, tie rod cylinder.  Anybody have any of those floating around?  Or know of a good source for them?  Or something they can be pilfered from which you might conceivably find at a junk yard?

Spruce

I can also reccomend Baily Sales in Knoxville Tn if in the US. They have their own line of tie rod cylinders, and also sell Barnes two stage pumps as well as all the other components like bell housings to connect pumps to prime movers and valves.
Phone is 1-800-800-1810 and they have a web site.

I just checked an a new 3000 psi tie rod ag style cylinder 5" x 8" with clevis is $222 at Baily sales and an 11 gPM 2 stage pump was &79

• 5 months later...

5" bore seems to be the largest stock size availble.   Is there a source of 5 1/2 or 6" bore tie rod cylinders off the shelf.  I have checked all of the sources that have been referenced here and have not found anyting other than welded cylinders in the larger bores.  Is there some sort of limitation imposed by the tie rod system ?

Not to my knowledge, I have a Parker 6" 3000psi rated tie rod cylinder in my forging press. It was a 20" stroke, too tall for my want of a bottom up press, so I turned down the tube  and re-threaded the bolts to 14 inch. I could get the numbers off the tag if that helps in your search.

I know you'll hate me for this, but my friend got 2 of them for 100 bucks each at the scrap yard, we built 2 presses around them, I cut them down (the 3.5" rods were fun to cut), I think the tie rods were 1 inch thick, one end threaded about 2 inches into the flat bottom block, so I put the threads I cut  into that, and used the factory nuts on the top.

Not to my knowledge, I have a Parker 6" 3000psi rated tie rod cylinder in my forging press. It was a 20" stroke, too tall for my want of a bottom up press, so I turned down the tube  and re-threaded the bolts to 14 inch. I could get the numbers off the tag if that helps in your search.

I know you'll hate me for this, but my friend got 2 of them for 100 bucks each at the scrap yard, we built 2 presses around them, I cut them down (the 3.5" rods were fun to cut), I think the tie rods were 1 inch thick, one end threaded about 2 inches into the flat bottom block, so I put the threads I cut  into that, and used the factory nuts on the top.

Thank You for the lead.  I will check with Parker and see what they have to say.  

So far as your being lucky with your junk yard find .  That makes me smile.  Maybe some of your luck will rub off on this me.

42014.GIF

Parker Tie Rod Hydraulic Cylinders are available in a range of bore sizes for medium and heavy
duty service. Each series offers a range of mounting options, superior performance, and durability.

Use the comparison chart and click below on any of the products for more information.

Series

Bore

Stroke Range**

Max Pressure

Type

2HX

2" - 8"

Up to 72"

3000 psi

Heavy Duty, Electrohydraulic

3H

7" - 8"

Up to 120"

3000 psi

Heavy Duty

3H Large Bore

10" - 20"*

Up to 120"

3000 psi

Heavy Duty, Large Bore

3L

1" - 8"

Up to 120"

1000 psi

Medium Duty

HMI

25-  200mm

Up to 3048mm

3000 psi

Heavy Duty,
Metric ISO 6020/2

VH

2-1/2" - 8"

Up to 72"

3000 psi

Heavy Duty

Wave Scale

1/2" - 8"

Up to 100"

3000 psi

LDT

*Consut catalog for pressure rating limits, e.g. mounting specific pressure limitations
**Consult factory for longer stroke sizes