Photo
- - - - -

How to forge pick up / hammer making tongs

pick up hammer making tongs hammer Brian Brazeal Daniel Lea YoungSmiths tutorial video how to

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Lea (AKA 99pppo)

Daniel Lea (AKA 99pppo)

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt am Main, Germany

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hey Fellows!

Here you can watch the tutorial that I made on how to forge Brian´s pick up / hammer making tongs. The video is part of a series of videos Alec and I are going to make to support Brian´s "Tools to make Tools" curriculum the International YoungSmiths team will be going through during the event at Tannehill Forge School of Blacksmithing Summer 2013.

Yours

- Daniel

If you want something to perfectly suit you -> craft it yourself!

#2 Alec.S

Alec.S

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Great video, man!

Pine tar is good. 

www.medler-steele.com

#3 Jim Coke

Jim Coke

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCadillac Michigan

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Greetings Daniel,

I think you have an actor career in you future...     Great video.....    Thanx so much...

Jim

May I create an environment that will allow the iron to become alive and malleable so it will yield to the images in my mind under my hammer

#4 jerry p.

jerry p.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLancaster Co. PA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Daniel, Thanks for the vidio it was great.  :)

#5 Frosty

Frosty

• Members
  • 11,489 posts
  • LocationMeadow Lakes Alaska

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Nicely done Daniel! I only have one suggestion for your next production video, either have lights to video by or stop when it gets dark and restart the next day. Good light is a must for good video.

I'm going to be more than happy to link your video, this one and I'm sure the next ones to folk wanting to learn. I don't know if you know this about me but I learn every time I watch someone forge, every single time and watching you was a delight.

Thank you, keep them coming.

Frosty The Lucky.

Be yourself. Everybody else is taken.

"unknown"

#6 forgemaster

forgemaster

Professional Blacksmith

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Locationon the eastern side of Mt Tumblebee

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

Very good guys, though I will say be careful of saying "such and such was invented by so and so", blacksmithing has been around for a while, and I'm sure that most things you have come up with have been used or adapted by someone else somewhere else before.  I have never invented, I see other peoples ideas and tools and adapt them for my use and aplications, but I would not say I'm an inventor and I have adapted lots of stuff.

Its a standing joke in our workshop that when ever we use a round back under the hammer its refered to as "the really cool tool for smoothing tapers under the hammer invented about 6 years ago by some bloke on IFI"

Good to see you young guys having a go though, wish I had the technology available to me all those years ago to document my work like you guys can now.

Thankyou.

Phil

I don't know, I've cut it off twice now, and its still too short!

#7 Daniel Lea (AKA 99pppo)

Daniel Lea (AKA 99pppo)

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt am Main, Germany

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

Great video, man!

Greetings Daniel,

I think you have an actor career in you future...     Great video.....    Thanx so much...

Jim

Daniel, Thanks for the vidio it was great.  :)

Nicely done Daniel! I only have one suggestion for your next production video, either have lights to video by or stop when it gets dark and restart the next day. Good light is a must for good video.

I'm going to be more than happy to link your video, this one and I'm sure the next ones to folk wanting to learn. I don't know if you know this about me but I learn every time I watch someone forge, every single time and watching you was a delight.

Thank you, keep them coming.

Frosty The Lucky.

Very good guys, though I will say be careful of saying "such and such was invented by so and so", blacksmithing has been around for a while, and I'm sure that most things you have come up with have been used or adapted by someone else somewhere else before.  I have never invented, I see other peoples ideas and tools and adapt them for my use and aplications, but I would not say I'm an inventor and I have adapted lots of stuff.

Its a standing joke in our workshop that when ever we use a round back under the hammer its refered to as "the really cool tool for smoothing tapers under the hammer invented about 6 years ago by some bloke on IFI"

Good to see you young guys having a go though, wish I had the technology available to me all those years ago to document my work like you guys can now.

Thankyou.

Phil

Many thanks to you all guys! I appreciate both your compliments and constructive critique!

If you want something to perfectly suit you -> craft it yourself!

#8 1forgeur

1forgeur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

Very nice video. Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pick up, hammer making, tongs, hammer, Brian Brazeal, Daniel Lea, YoungSmiths, tutorial, video, how to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users