I Forge Iron

Railroad Iron

I just saw a CNN report that says the first warning derived from the computer gear they picked up recently in Pakistan at ObL's place was against train derailments.

As many smiths stroll along the RR tracks at times I would like to remind them that they will be under enhanced surveillance, they are private property, and the RR police have rather draconian powers!

Be safe out there! (and note most scrapyards I've been too seem to have a lot of RR stuff on hand without the risk.)

Very true. Something to think about for sure
I laughed last night When a comedian ,showing a picture of bin laden house.
That the media stop calling it a Mansion.

God bless America.

The scrap yards here take the RR scrap, your name, your license plate, your photo, and (by law) turn it over to the RR Authorities. They have to hold the scrap until the RR releases the stuff, so you just see it sitting there, not knowing they are after someone for bringing it in. Serves as bait for more RR scrap to be brought in also. At least that is what the owner of the scrap yard told me when I tried to purchase some track plates and a short section of RR track.

i went to the local rail yard and ask if they had scrap i could take and the purpose for the scrap, they told me what scrap i could take from and that i could do so whenever i needed it for work i was doing......all that to say, sometimes if ya just ask the rail yard managers they will help you out, even more so if you bring them a trinket or two :)

I agree, Many of us do not realize the power of a good bribe, err gift, when asking about noise levels, salvage rights, etc. As I told others when I first moved into my current location I started making yard repairs for neighbors. If we get in their good graces soon, they are less trouble later. Bring in a (hate to say it) RR spike knife to the yard manager, and tell him you make this as a hobby, and would like to get more raw stock, and give it to him to keep. NO matter what he says, the next time he may say yes later, even if he can not that first time:) As my father used to tell me, "give them a reason to WANT to help us".

Steve: Give the RR guy a RR spike Letter Opener. Saves the cringing and doesn't misrepresent anything.

One of the things that runs through my mind is making something for someone like a RR spike "knife" and them finding themselves in a pickle because they needed a good knife. I've never heard of anyone suffering a physical mischief opening an envelope.

Frosty the Lucky.

Besides scrap yards, where do you get RR scrap? I've gotten some from friends, but I don't even know where they got it. I don't steal from the RR co. and I don't think people I know do either. Would asking a railroad foreman when you see them working on the tracks be likely to pay off (maybe that's what Frosty meant by "RR guy" but I thought we were talking about scrap yard managers)? Don't they retire some of the spikes, ties, and rail? I wish I knew how to get a reliable supply of this stuff. I'm always "saving" it.

There are quite a few repair depots and RR service companies scattered about. It can be a bit hard to find them though as they don't advertise in general having a focused limited job. Often I have found them by noticing piles of RR iron in their yards; *or* by looking for places selling used RR ties by the semi load. (cheaper to buy used ones from the source than to get them third hand...). A RR spike letter opener can often work wonders in the office.

Another source is other blacksmiths; many of us assembled mounds of RR iron before we realize that we don't use it much as our interests change and are happy to share.

The scrap yard I recently picked up track clips at looked like an old shop clean out; bunch of junk with RR iron mixed through it.

Around here a lot of old rail lines are being turned into hiking and biking trails. You can find lots of spikes along a new trail, especially if you have a 5 year old with you.

I collected about 50-60 around 10 years ago and have only used a few many years ago. I guess I should throw them into iron in the hat.