I Forge Iron

Kind of funny and a Q

So my Jackpine 2.5lb hammer came in today and I opened the box while standing in the kitchen. I said to myself but also out loud "I wonder if I have to dress this hammer?" My wife standing by the counter says "Like with little pants?" ;) Had me laughing good. Back to the hammer though, The edges look a little sharper than what I've been putting on my cheap home depot ones. I don't want to start a flame or anything, I'm just wondering if it's common knowledge or something that the end user must dress the hammer to their liking or should I use it and see how I fair. Thanks in advance, Rob.

You should've replied to your wife with something similar to, "Of course not. Bib overalls not pants!" That is assuming she was joking, if she was serious keeping silent probably means you get dinner.

Most hammers will come sharper than optimum. It's a LOT easier to soften the edges if too sharp than to sharpen them up if they're too rounded.

Frosty

Thanks for the replies. Actually she was smirking but I'll have to let her know about the bib overalls. :) The hammer was from blacksmith journal, made by Nathan I believe. I searched on it here before I bought it and people seemed to like it but I didn't notice anything about dressing it. It's a Czech style so it's very square which I couldn't find in places like a home depot etc so that's why I went ahead and picked it up. It looks fairly finished, in all but a few spots. Like you guys said though, I can take off material but putting it back requires removing more. Thanks again and it's getting late so I'll go ahead and put it in its PJs for the night :rolleyes:

Rob.

Thanks for the replies. Actually she was smirking but I'll have to let her know about the bib overalls. :) The hammer was from blacksmith journal, made by Nathan I believe. I searched on it here before I bought it and people seemed to like it but I didn't notice anything about dressing it. It's a Czech style so it's very square which I couldn't find in places like a home depot etc so that's why I went ahead and picked it up. It looks fairly finished, in all but a few spots. Like you guys said though, I can take off material but putting it back requires removing more. Thanks again and it's getting late so I'll go ahead and put it in its PJs for the night :rolleyes:

Rob.

I bought a couple of them for my son for Christmas ...the only thing I could see that needed done was the handle is too long and too fat . a file and saw and sandpaper will take care of that I flattened the handle out and we a watching for the dirt marks to see where the handle need to be cut. also the 2.5 jackpine when held up next to my 2.6 Tom Clark is almost the same the only difference is the Jackpine is shapped more like a Hofi on the Peen(round) the Tom clark is flatter Edited by jimbob

I have 4 of Nathan's Jackpine hammers, 3 are diagonal peens and all were usable as recieved. I dressed a little just because I wanted to:) I did modify the handles to fit my disabled grip. He m,akes a first rate hammer with a reasonable price and I can not reccomend them enough.

I will agree with Ptree on his post about Nathans Hammers. One thing I have heard about the "flatter" pien on some hammers is..... the reason it's got a slight flat spot across the face of the pien is so that it does not leave as deep of hammer marks as it is moving the metal. Like I said that is one reason I've heard for that flat area - so take it for what it's worth and use your hammer first before you dress it unless of course you know exactly what your doing in the first place. I will dress a hammer to blend in the areas where the grinding meets in different directions (like the corners) ever so slightly just enough to make nice and smooth. - JK

Nathan's hammers are very nice indeed - you should enjoying it for a long time. Usually I give my new hammers a couple of workouts before I do anything to them. When I do decide to dress them a bit of modify the handles I tend to do it very carefully and a little bit a a time until its "just so"

Woodeye

I usually give hammers a test drive, then dress and shape the handle to fit.

If there are really bad things.... spiral/ machine marks... they go before the test drive.. Once in a while i find that hammers from china are HSOs..

Yes I buy cheap crap sometimes... but.. if I get a hammer for $5.... and hate it..... I can "turn it into something useful" (change pein... turn into a punch... door stop) and have no guilt.

I have found that you never know what will become you favorite hammer.

You guys are totally right. After arguing with the water heater today, I decided I was going to relax and play with some fire. The hammer just works right out if the box. I had a hard time leaving a mark in anything I hit. Very cool.

I also tried to pay attention to my blows more. I tried to grip less firmly and start higher and let the hammer do its thing. This hammer seemed to make that easier to do. It didn't feel like I was going to miss when I started my swing shoulder or head high.

BTW Jimbob, I think your right about the handle. It hit the anvil 3 or four times. I have to look into taking off a smidge.

I made a better fire than normal today too. I had nice large pieces of coke making a "hive" and keeping everything nice and hot. I learned to crotch punch. :o I took some 1/2" sqr and punched a hole and drifted for 5/16 rod. Then I made a scroll on the 5/16 rod with a hole for a rivet and it lined up with the other hole in the 1/2". Hard to visualize. I'll post a pic if I get it together at some point.

All in all a good day.

Thanks again for the responses.

Rob.

Even if you order a blacksmithing hammer from reputable source it will still need some dressing to suit your hammer style.

Never turn down a cheap hammer at a Flea Market. I have a ball pein that I got for $2 that the round on the pein is all scarred up, but it makes a really nice texture when peining flat stock.

Also you may need a "visitors" hammer. We used to have our guild meetings at one of the members shop, we could use any hammer, EXCEPT the ones with a white spraypaint spot on the side. Give them one of your cheap hammers, some quarter inch stock and they "shouldn't" hurt themselves.