I Forge Iron

Gong for the play

Well the funny thing is, the first striker I tried, made a dull thud, cause it was hemp string tied around a wood dowel, then glued, then covered in leather, so it's back to the drawing board. when struck with metal, it sound just the way I wanted, so now I have to take some 1" round, fuller it and draw out the handle, then round it for a proper striker. The gong is just shy of 10 inches across. The boat pic in the background was an erie canal barge, refitted in the Town of Macedon. Here is a pic of the one that did not work!!

Well the funny thing is, the first striker I tried, made a dull thud, cause it was hemp string tied around a wood dowel, then glued, then covered in leather, so it's back to the drawing board. when struck with metal, it sound just the way I wanted, so now I have to take some 1" round, fuller it and draw out the handle, then round it for a proper striker. The gong is just shy of 10 inches across. The boat pic in the background was an erie canal barge, refitted in the Town of Macedon. Here is a pic of the one that did not work!!

Nice work! Getting things to sounds as good as they look can be a real challenge sometimes.

Speaking of that barge.... I was a lockmaster on the Erie Canal; Lock 7 Niskayuna. Everything on the canal is 1914's vintage equipment and technology, and every zone has/had it's own blacksmith shop for making repairs. It was a blast.

well, I had the guys over today for our monthly meet, we had a demonstration of a Stiegler globe, fascinating, don't think I'm quite up to one of those yet, but I now have a metal striker for the dinner gong for the play!

Edited by divermike
fat finger misspelling

My father makes bells sometimes... his system for describing the tone is kinda weird, but effective
Higest tone:Ting or Tink depends on length of reverberation

Mid tone... Ding or Dingy. once again reverb

Low tone... Dong or Dongy ....

Failure.... Thud or Klunk

I would love to hear more about the tone/ sound of your gong It looks killer!!

Based on the scale you gave me, it would likely be a ding, but due to the depresson in the middle, ther are 3 distinct ranges of dingyness (sic) and the cast and crew got to wale on it, they found it acceptable. So even though it was made for the play, it is a functional device. Thanks for the comments.

Nice gong mate. As a musician of some kind I cannot help to wonder whether you were able to make it ring some certain tone? And if, how?

I have sometimes thought that a gong would make a great addition to my bands drumkit and what would be cooler than to make one myself! :D

Oh yes and this is my first post so hello everyone! :)
I got excited about blacksmithin' when I saw an old time blacksmith in an outdoor market some six months ago (I bought one of these from him. It's the logo of my favorite band).

Edited by Adez0

Really it is trial and error, I just let it cool a couple times and then struck it, when it had an amiable sound, I was done. The center is thicker and it gets thinner the farther out you go. I am going to do one about the size of a garbage can lid next. Lots of hammerin on that little one, the big one might just kill me!

Welcome aboard Adez0, glad to have ya.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of your page and edit your profile to show your location it'll be easier to remember where you are. It's especially important for Folk living outside the USA, IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and materials, tools, nomenclature and such can differ significantly depending on country.

Frosty

Divermike, I would expect a certain variance in to depending where you hit it, I'm glad the scale made sense, I am open to the spelling of dingyness...

I wonder if there is a formula that is a predictor (ballpark guess) for the size of gong to tone. I told this story to some of the guys I work with..... they think I should make a 5 foot gong... or one on par with Indiana Jones and the temple of doom,

Glad you gong worked out, has it come home yet... or is it "lost"

Nope not yet... the final nights of the play are on the 13th and 14th, got a good write up in the local rag. My boy is proud of his old man's ability to make props for the plays, and people really get a kick out of it. When I finish the bigger one, I will post it here.