I Forge Iron

Forging Knife Blade from coiled spring

johnrgarland

Hey Folks,

I'm a newbie, using coal to forge a knife blade from round spring steel. This is pretty decent steel - I know it's really hard - but I'm not real sure on the process. Do I pound it into a flat blank and then start shaping it? Am I wasting my time by starting with round stock? I have some flat stock that might be easier to work with.
At the very least I'm having a good time heating it up and working it.
My first attempt looked an awful lot like a cold chisel when I overheated it and fizzled the steel.

Input anyone?

John

Coil springs are good steel for knives. I use a lot of it. Yes pound it into a flat bar and then shape it. You are not wasting your time starting with round stock. Enjoy yourself and keep a record of what you do, that way when something goes wrong you won't repeat the process and when something goes right, you can repeat the process. Check the knife forum there is much info there on bladesmithing and heat treating.

Welcome to the dark side.

I have used lots of coiled springs for knives johnrgarland. Its very good steel, (5160) the only tricky part it uncoiling it. I ususally do this over the edge of my railroad anvil. Be sure to have some good color in it, working to cold will cause problems later on. Tell us how it goes!! And welcome to IFI.

It would be well worth the time and money to invest in some bladesmithing books, Wayne Godderds " $50 Dollar Knife Shop" will take you step by step through forging a coil spring into a finished blade, and you can usualy pick up the book for around 10 dollars through Amazon.com. Its good info and worth the read

To un coil it I usally take some string and measure out how much I need and mark it with soap stone then cut what i need off which a cut off wheel on my 4.5 angle grinder , then to starighten I heat it up and clamp in vice then do the "finale starighting on the anvil.

If you believe the coil spring is too hard. Heat it to non-magnetic and stick it in either a bucket of wood ash, Lye, vermiculite, or pearlite to soften it.

You don't anneal before forging, you forge at high orange heat anyway,you anneal before you finish the shaping and grinding, then quench and temper----Regards Butch Edited by rsilver4