I Forge Iron

Forge ID help needed

Clodbuster

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to the site, have been interested in blacksmithing for a while - you can't grow up on a farm without getting at least a smattering of the basics! I've been casually looking for a forge setup for a while and I think I might have found something locally, but honestly I don't really even know what I'm looking at. So here's where the expert help comes in hopefully:)

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here:

11421.attach

Any info you can give would be appreciated. I have not purchased this yet, the seller wants $100 and it is about 50 miles from me. What type of forge is this? Is the price reasonable if it is in decent shape? Any other advice or things to look for?

Thanks for the help and expert advice!

Garrett

Price is very location specific; post vices cost 4-5 times as much where I live in NM as when I was buying them in OH.

Out here the forge and blower(if it works) would be quite a bit more than $100 and while not a blacksmith's vise the vise would be handy to have too.

Where you are at ????

If the blower runs good then its a good deal. There is no pipe for the air to connect to the firepot? but that can easely be made.

I assume there is a firepot behind the vise?

Worse case senerio, the table would somehow self destruct itself and the fire pot would vanish in thin air and youd be left with just the blower which is worth 100 bucks in my opinion.

I'm in Eastern Washington state, and from what I've seen there's not a lot of interest in blacksmithing items here, even though there are some good modern fabrication/ welding shops.

As far as I know the vise and other miscellaneous items aren't included in the deal - I asked the seller to send me a clearer picture of the forge and I will post if/when I receive it.

What general type of forge is this - a side draft? As I mentioned it's all new to me... I thought it was a table from the picture at first!

Welcome to the gang Garrett, good to have you aboard.

It's a bottom blast shop forge, and if it isn't cracked too badly worth $100, especially if the blower is included. Tell the seller it isn't a forge without the blower if he's selling it separately and do some dickering. If you make the drive, have a close look around, there may be more and you may be able to work a better deal for a larger purchase.

If you'll click "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location it'll make a big difference. Folk in your area will be able to get hold of you with info, deals and hands on help.

Frosty

Garrett (aka Clodbuster) WELCOME to I Forge Iron!
I am not sure what it is. :rolleyes:
But if you want to send it to me, I will take some time (a year or two) and try to determine what it is used for.

I am just kidding. You would not have to send it to me. I will try to figure it out just by the photo.
I hope it is yours and you get to use it. What ever it is! :confused:
Enjoy!
Ted Throckmorton

Take CASH! that real green folding stuff really speaks loud. As all have mentioned try to get more stuff for the same price. Blower and forge are ONE piece...kinda like shoes, boots, gloves....you get the idea..;) If you just want the forge and blower then make an offer for less $$, (Sam and I must be brothers from different Mothers!:) ) shoot the worst he can say is no. Just don't insult him with too low an offer! But, the $100 is a good price, if all works OK.

Well, I heeded everyone's advice and bought the forge on Saturday, though unfortunately the seller wasn't willing to throw in any extras... which was a shame since he had two decent looking post vices stashed nearby! But my new forge has left me with a few questions... Here she is:

11522.attach

The blower turns over nicely, though it needs a good cleaning and tuneup, which I'm going to get going on tomorrow.

11523.attach

The whole thing looks like it has spent most of it's life outside, but luckily in Eastern Washington that doesn't involve all that much exposure to water. I'm thinking of sandblasting it and throwing some extra POR-15 exhaust manifold paint on the hot surfaces, then painting the rest to match the original color... if anyone knows what it is?

However, I'm missing several pieces and could use a little help IDing what else I need to round up or build. The tuyere is missing any form of grating to keep the coal up in the combustion area, does anyone know what this is supposed to look like here? It also looks like there may have been a damper of some type at this location?

11525.attach

And on the inlet side, I can't tell if there was another damper of some type or if I'm looking at the remnants of some type of flexible metal air tubing (like clothes dryer vent tube) What type of tube do you usually carry the air from the blower to the tuyere with?

11524.attach

And finally, there ain't much of a smoke shroud left on this baby, so if anyone can clue me in on what the rest of this is supposed to look like it would help a ton.

11526.attach

All of you guys have been a ton of help so far, so thank you for taking the time to help a newbie out. I'm glad I found this site!

The rod laying on top of the forge is your clicker braker, I goes trough the slots on the tuyere in the third picture, I dont see the breaker so you might have to make one. The tuyere is assembled to the taBLE with this rod going through it, You are missing the main pipe, ususally its connected with aluminum flexible tubing or what i did was have automotive exaust tubing bent and i welded (flanges) to bolt it on. There is no damper only a controled air blast via controlled cranking .Seems you have found a good forge, you may want to line clay or mud in the fire pot and table to prevent cracking.

What is a smoke shroud? i dont know what u mean.

Thanks element,

Here's what I meant by a smoke shroud:

11543.attach

Judging by the scraps of rusted sheet metal left in the last pic there used to be something similar on my forge, I just have no idea if it was original, what it looked like, etc. We do get more than our share of wind here, so it would be a handy addition.

I was thinking along the same lines as you for the automotive exhaust tubing, it should be fairly sturdy and not have as much pressure drop as flexible tubing.

As far as lining the firepot/table with clay, I like the idea - is there a commercial-type product that you use or just regular potter's clay? It seems to me like it would tend to crack under temperature swings unless it was pretty thick though, like an inch thick maybe.

Other forges I've seen look like they have a cast iron or steel insert that lines the firepot, maybe that could be an option as well?

I s your forge going to be outside when your working or will it be permanent in the barn or shed or w/e?

Im not sure about lining your forge with sheets of metal but i know clay mixes will easely conform the shapes of the firepot and the table plus its not hard to repair vs repairing cast iron which in your case is almost totally avoidable, That is a nice table u got there id hate to see a big split in it;)

According to a 1932 wholesale hardware catalog, your model doesn't have a smoke shroud that vents directly into flu works, but rather just a vertical tin back that coal can be banked against.

With what you have now just screams for a side draft to vent the smoke. The side draft vent has proven to be more efficent than the overhead hood arrangement. Do a IFI search and you will find many ideas and clever plans.

Im thinking if you made the Hofi side draft in the blueprints it would work well w/o doing anything to your table. Once youve built it, you would just need to set it so its just above your table so you could slide the table under so the bottom of the vent is at the edge of the firepot hovering just above it.
Although you might need to relocate the blower for this to work. I assume you have a welder so it shouldnt be to hard.

Let me know what u think, the above is just my 2 cents but valid in my opinion.

Similar in all respects to mine! The blower is the same except that mine has a one bolt bracket on it! My forge is the same but mine don't have the endintions in the side. I had to build a tuyere, firpot, new legs, and blower bracket for mine so your lucky getting one set up already! I got mine for $150 but I probably have $200 in it, so I consider you got a good deal! Fired it up yet?

I use my nose!!!
I don't have anything at all. It goes wherever the wind blows.
I don't have any suggestions either.
You might could rig a shop vac in a hood of some type to provide some suction.
The picture you posted with the hood on a forge; I don't think a hood like that will work. I think you will have a hard time getting a good draft
I have seen hoods but they enclose the fire completely with only a small opening for the steel. (6-8 wide maybe a foot tall) a door goes on the back so it can be opened to allow longer pieces to be heated.
On my trailer I am going to build a large hood with a custom opening in front so I can see the steel from where I stand at the blower, and it will have some type of door in the back. But, the fire will be enclosed on 3 sides and will probably be closed up on the front a little. The front may be hinged to allow extra large steel and also coal to be added. I don't have any drawing/or pixs yet because I am going to build the forge so I can get the exact sizes cut for the hood.
Anyway, hope that helps.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's the latest update - I got the Champion 40 blower all torn apart and I'm cleaning it up and rebuilding it before reassembly. It was in pretty good shape inside, no major rust, just lots of congealed petroleum products of unknown origin on things... which is just the way I like it! In my ongoing 36' IHC truck restoration I've found that the best thing for a restorer is leaky seals - it coats everything with a protective coat of oil and dirt and keeps the rust at bay. The parts that start out as a shapeless blob of crusted oil clean up twice as fast as the "clean" and rusty ones!

All the gears and bushings seem decent and shouldn't need anything more than a light polishing with emery cloth. I'm going to try and get my POS Harbor Freight sandblasting cabinet bandaged together to bead blast the rust and then get it painted this weekend. My best guess is that it was orangish originally, as all I have to go on is a little red oxide primer left on it... well, it will be allis chalmers orange-red when it's done! I'll have to post some pictures for critique :)

My big missing piece of the puzzle is what the clinker breaker or fire grating or whatever goes on top of the tuyere is supposed to look like, so if anyone can help on that please let me know.

I'm looking forward to that first fire - with a nice, sweet-turning, pretty-looking blower fanning the flames!

• 4 months later...

At long last I got around to taking some pictures of the final product. I figured I should show everyone what their help and advice helped create!

First I had the forge sandblasted and I coated the table surface with POR-15. Then I visited the junkyard and found a cast iron brake drum to line my firebox, as it was kind of worn. I used fireclay and the recipes for use on here to fill the gap between the drum and forge table. The new fire grate is a cast ebay special, but the replacement tuyere I made from a hubless cast iron sanitary tee fitting with a welded flange made from a piece of flattened angle iron. I also attached an ash cleanout door per the plans I saw on here.

15747.attach

I tore down the gearbox, cleaned it, rebuilt it, painted it and made a new maple handle for it. Also used body filler to smooth the inside surfaces of the fan housing before repainting. Then I had a piece of exhaust tubing bent to make a draft tube, with tin bands cut from leftover flashing, exhaust sealant, and hose clamps tying the blower and tuyere together.

15748.attach

Finally, I cut and fit some firebrick to protect the table surface and to allow me to manipulate the work surface a little better.

15749.attach

I think she turned out pretty well all in all. Right now it's in an old shed, so I have to drag it in and out to use, but when I build my shop I'm going to make a nice spot with a dedicated hood and chimney.

Thanks for the help all, just wanted to share some pics of my freshly restored toy... As if I needed another hobby :)