I Forge Iron

Metal Identification

Sure as you're born it's galvanized. It it's a garbage can lit ant it isn't plastic it's zinc coated steel. If you are not heating it it is safe. Millions upon millions of gallons of potable water have been delivered through galvanized pipes. Fumes from heated zinc can be harmful. I don't think that zinc is classified as a heavy metal along with lead, mercury and cadmium. You can toss your lid into an outdoor fire just stay upwind, but only if you are out in a rural area. This should burn the zinc off.
Warren

You can toss your lid into an outdoor fire just stay upwind, but only if you are out in a rural area. This should burn the zinc off.Warren

Do not burn it off, it IS dangerous. What makes people think a bonfire is less dangerous for toxic fumes than a forge?:o

Steve,
There is no evidence that exposure to low levels of zinc is dangerous. In fact metal fumes are common in welding/brazing shops. This includes zinc fumes. I stated that to heat outdoors and to stay upwind of the fire. Zinc is a needed mineral for proper bodily function. It is misleading to characterize zinc along with many other dangerous metals. Iron fumes are also dangerous but are acceptable. And so is zinc at low levels.
Warren
Warren

addition by staff: This statement about zink levels is not necessarily correct, and common is not always safe. Small amounts of Arsenic are also needed for survival, but generally exposure to that is also a bad idea. Please read the sticky on zink fumes.

Edited by mod07
staff warning added

Steve,
There is no evidence that exposure to low levels of zinc is dangerous. In fact metal fumes are common in welding/brazing shops. This includes zinc fumes. I stated that to heat outdoors and to stay upwind of the fire. Zinc is a needed mineral for proper bodily function. It is misleading to characterize zinc along with many other dangerous metals. Iron fumes are also dangerous but are acceptable. And so is zinc at low levels.
Warren
Warren

Although you are "probably" right, I would never give someone the green light to work with zinc in "low level". People vary in there tolerance to stuff, and what may be ok in one instance may injure of kill another. Also with the importation of metals these days you never know what something could contain. There may also be lead or other heavy metals. Me I say air on the side of caution and don't do it. "well this zinc didn't make me sick, I can do this other piece" Or "that one didn't kill me, so I can do the same with some galvy pipe couldn't I?" I am with steve on this one....

Hi All

I've got a followup: I'm going to head over to the scrap dealer for the first time this week and I'm worried that I'll end up picking up something that's not safe. Other than galvanized, which I think I can recognize, what other things should I stay away from?