I Forge Iron

Tips for a New Farrier Apprenticeship

Hey Y`all,
I have met a local farrier/blacksmith (does both). He is going to be teaching me what he knows about farriering, and I cant wait to get started. I`am going to riding with him to his clients to learn and help him . He said that the days I`am out for snow and stuff and this summer that I can ride with him , then once we get all the stops made, we will go back to the shop and forge. He makes his own shoes. He said in the winter that he does shoing, then after he is done fo rthe day he stocks up on making shoes, then does blacksmith work. I`am Really intersted in farriering, I know their is probally more hoof care then forging but am intersted in both the hoof care and the forging. I am wanting to pursue this and maybe after the proper schooling do like he does, shoeing and then blacksmithing when done shoing for the day. I was wondering what books I may want to get to help me learn mor hoof care and the forging, besides wat he shows/teachs me. Any tips on this would be Great.

Hi Chris, keeeping an eye on youre progress and you're coming on great.

Don't know if this link will help, but it is what the UK farrier and blacksmiths apprentices have to undergo before starting their apprenticeship with a master farrier.

NPTC | QualificationsBlacksmithing

The site contains various exercises that are designed to develop hammer control techniques, and working to specific sizes. Have a look at other parts of that site also.

Good luck with it all.

The number one book of the trade is "The Principles of Horseshoeing" by Doug Butler. It is in it's third edition (P3) and unfortunately is quite expensive (around $160 I believe). You might find a deal on Ebay or Amazon for a used copy of a first or second edition, and either would serve your purpose.

The number one book of the trade is "The Principles of Horseshoeing" by Doug Butler. It is in it's third edition (P3) and unfortunately is quite expensive (around $160 I believe). You might find a deal on Ebay or Amazon for a used copy of a first or second edition, and either would serve your purpose.

So would be first edition be good? Cause its only $40.00 the others are $200 and $300

If you don't have a fear of horses and can stick with it, it would seem to be a good profession to get into. I know of a local farrier that specializes in making customized shoes for horses with severe foot problems and deformities. Something of an orthopedic farrier if you will.
I know that he makes very good money doing it, but also that he's got quite a bit of schooling behind him.

Personally, I have a mighty respect for the big beasts and wouldn't get too close no matter what you offered me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hammerkid
Doug Butler has the best book available and you do want to buy his latest addition. As a farrier for 25 years, I would suggest you take this serious enough to go to school at Doug Butlers school and then do your apprenticeship. You will be a better apprentice and learn much faster. Go to his web site for full info
Good luck,

When I lived in Kuwait one thing we missed was a good farrier. There were guys there who were OK but nobody who could hot shoe. Price wasn't a consideration. A good man could have charged whatever he wanted. He could have worked in Kuwait around the hunting and equestrian club and even have done some neighbouring gulf states. Would have been ideal for somebody like a retired Army farrier.

A good plater at a racecourse can make some serious money.

Chris,

I just gotta say, it sure does my heart good to see you, and Dave, and some of the other young guys around here that are eager to learn, and willing to do a man's work.

Y'all stay at it. You are definitely a breed apart by today's standards.

Don

Cris,
Keep doing what you're doing. When you go to shoeing school, you'll have a headstart. I worked with my dad, who was a farrier, before I went to school. Then I worked with a few other farriers for over a year, and got involved competing in the forging and shoeing compititions which exposed me to even more information. Besides the American Farriers Association there is a new organization, World Championship Blacksmiths, that I would stronly advise you to get involved with. The WCB has really kicked it up a big knotch and they are all about education. You are on the right track.

Glad to hear your interested in becomming a farrier, or at least the craft, I will caution you there is a huge volume of info you just wont find in one book or one apprenticeship.
Im only 2/3rds the way through my time at the Kentucky Horseshoeing School, the longest ( and most costly ) as far as I know in the states, and we use the butler book, P3, but we also trim on cadaver legs and need to test out with them before we can even get under a horse, in our setup we dont actualy shoe a horse for about eight weeks, it seems like a lot when you can be taught to nail up in a week but the school is very thorough in the safty of the horse.

if your looking for a school, I must recommend this one, we have students from around the world and the top anatomy studies in the states hands down
Kentucky Horseshoeing School they also work hand in hand with the AFA to certify us students, and actualy Im in Chattanooga right now for the convention, where three of our "CJF" instructors are in the contests one of them tryin out for the american farriers team, and another doing a disection and some lectures
GL bud! if you have any questions Ill do my best, toss me a pm

Edited by Wesley Chambers

Glad to hear your interested in becomming a farrier, or at least the craft, I will caution you there is a huge volume of info you just wont find in one book or one apprenticeship.
Im only 2/3rds the way through my time at the Kentucky Horseshoeing School, the longest ( and most costly ) as far as I know in the states, and we use the butler book, P3, but we also trim on cadaver legs and need to test out with them before we can even get under a horse, in our setup we dont actualy shoe a horse for about eight weeks, it seems like a lot when you can be taught to nail up in a week but the school is very thorough in the safty of the horse.

if your looking for a school, I must recommend this one, we have students from around the world and the top anatomy studies in the states hands down
Kentucky Horseshoeing School they also work hand in hand with the AFA to certify us students, and actualy Im in Chattanooga right now for the convention, where three of our "CJF" instructors are in the contests one of them tryin out for the american farriers team, and another doing a disection and some lectures
GL bud! if you have any questions Ill do my best, toss me a pm

Thats is where my teacher went, my other , his teacher went to the one in OK.

i would reccomend Heartland Horseshoeing School in Lamar, MO

Chris Gregory is rated the number one farriery instructor in the world. along with his wife Kelly and his son Cody. Cody learned from Chris and is the youngest person (at 16) to pass the AFA cirtified journymen exam.

I;m not trying to offend anyone here. but between Chris Gregory and Mitch Taylor (instructor at kentuky) MItch Taylor has very poor work. I've bee nshoeing horses for about 33 years. i pride myself on having a very high standard for my shoeing. personally i think Mitch Talyor has very low quality shoeing.

Another no-offence comment. Doug Butler is a fanominal vet...but a poor quality farrier. i would consider him in there with Mitch Taylor in the catigory i would call "cowboy shoeing" Now i've never been to either of their schools. but i've seen alot of their work. and it's not to great.

it would be my understanding that if you were wanting to be the best at the profession, or at least strive for it, you would want to work hard. and you would want to learn from the best! that would be Chris Gregory.

right now. i would suggest getting (if your serious) "PRincipals of Horseshoeing P3", "Adam's Lameness in Horses", and if you can find it "The Anatomy of the Horse"
...not only get them and read them, but memorize them. Anatomy knowledge is 75% of horseshoeing.

i hope this helped. and again i'm not trying to offend anyone, i'm simply stating my opinions.

Good on you Chris! and everyone!

Son

Hammerkid-

It's really great that you're getting into this. learn all you can where you can, and use common sense to sort it all out. You're going to meet horse owners who have read enough about trimming and shoeing to have an opinion on it. You have to be able to make them happy as well as doing right by the horse. That can be a job sometimes. I guess it's better to turn down a job than to do something you know is wrong. Maybe you can recommend them a farrier that could do a better job in that case. In that business, just like any other, you are only as good as the job you do
Good luck with it!

I think the schools students and instructors competition record can speak for itself, but I must say what we are taught is far from cowboy shoeing, Ive been to the tracks and farms here in Ky enough to have seen that type of work and its not what we are train to do.

Im not tryin to start anything, just a little pride in my work and those of my fellow students and workers of the school, Chris Gregory does do very nice work I watched him and his son compete last week, as well as sat in on a few of his lectures.

chris good luck on your adventure that is what horseshoeing and blacksmithing can be i have shod horses for about 35 years now and it is a good honest profession yhe politics can get into it as you can already see from some of the posts doug butler is not a vet chris is excellant so is mitchcraig trnka started the wcb and it is good the afa is good but not without problems cjf at 16 i am not sure about i know it happened but you cant get under enough horses by that age just my opinion, ihave shod horses from new mexico to new york and to florida mostly standardbred race horses with some sport horses thrown in again good luck and if i can help you feel free to call or pm iam not real good on this thing 386 749 4119:)