I Forge Iron

Second Knife Ever (WIP)

John Martin

This is the second knife I've ever forged, and the first I will have ever finished. The work is all done by hand. Filing has taken place. I will file it again tomorrow, and then begin sanding it. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, it will be finished. Made out of leafspring. Guys, can you tell me what type of knife this would be considered? Sorry about the picture quality, I need to learn how to take pictures of shiny things now.

9.5" Long
1/8" Thick
5.5" Blade
4" Handle
2" @ Widest Point

Critique welcomed!!!

10752.attach

10753.attach

10754.attach

10755.attach

10756.attach

10757.attach

10758.attach

Edited by m_brothers

Thanks guys, I'll have pictures tomorrow of the filework all done, then it'll be time to polish it up. Right now both sides are the like the better side in the pictures. More filing to get the cross filing and pitting out.

Edited by m_brothers

To go out on a limb is something I don't do much anymore, but if I were to classify your blade I would put it in the realm of an early trade knife. Your tang looks alot like a "scalper" knife seen in Madison Grant's The Knife in Homespun America. Scalpers were also use in the indian and fur trade.. Over all it looks like it will be a fine piece of cutlery.

Card? As in clean the file???

Yes, the short bristled wire brush is called a file card. Give the file handle a (vertical) rap on a hard surface to knock the larger cuttings loose, then give it a couple swipes with the card.

http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/356/35642_300.jpg

It'll cut better and leave a finer finish if there's nothing in the teeth to skate and gall.

Frosty

Completely filed it,s at 60 grit, just need to do a little bit more sanding(320-600 grit), and then im done. I have ordered:
Stabilized Redwood Burl from knifeandgun for scales.

You can see a faint black line in the pictures, that is where the scales will end.

Pictures 1-4 me and quentin filing in my basement last night, he should have pictures of that knife and his tomahawk up soon. Pictures 5-10 I attempted to photograph the knife, really need to learn how to!!!

10830.attach

10831.attach

10832.attach

10833.attach

10834.attach

10835.attach

10836.attach

10837.attach

10838.attach

10839.attach

Edited by m_brothers

Looking real good there John!
Finnr

Thanks Art, it means a lot coming from you. I'm going to finish to 600grit for sure. Will try to buff, otherwise, i'll oil the handle, let it sit for a few days, then oil the blade real lightly and be done. Also, should I do a convex or flat grind edge?