I Forge Iron

Smoked out and red eyes

IronFist

I know this has probably been asked/ answered before but I cannot find anything on it here. I lit my first fire in my coal forge this morning and it burned great with heat escape thru the flue but it got extensively smokey in the shop. Bad enough to have to walk outside. The dimensions of my forge are: depth-27" front to back
width-24"
hieght-32"
depth from center of firepot to rr wall- 12"
flue diameter- 6"

The 6" flue pipe rises up 8" and then immediately turns 90 degrees to exit through the wall penetration, 90 degrees up to the stack cap. I can see that the start smoke and heat are escaping fine but once the fire really starts to catch or I have to add green coal, it smokes the xxxx out of me. Is it going to take time to "burn-in" or am I doing something wrong?

Like the aforementioned, it did die down once the coal got going hot and I forged 4 table legs fairly quickly. But when I loosened the heart of the fire and placed fresh coal around, it smoked again.

But, does that fire burn hot!! A lot hotter and forge temp was reached a lot faster than my blast forge. Thanks for any help.

As you add green coal you must keep it wet, a soup can nailed to the end of a stick works great,, just sprinkle a little on the green coal and it will help not only with the smoke but also with helping it "coke" up to be added to the working fire. Also for a flue to draft it must have a source of air. You need a large opening for fresh air to enter the shop. If the shop adjoins the residence get two CO detectors. Put one in the shop and one in the home near the shop. Do not forge in a shop that is not really well ventilated.

Go to a larger chimney, 10 inch is recommended. Side draft chimneys work better than hoods. The closer the chimney is to the edge of the fire pot the more smoke, etc is removed.

Using coke, charcoal, or other fuels burn cleaner but will still produce CO2 and CO. The only way to move these invisible gasses out of your work area is with a larger chimney.

GET a CO monitor and a smoke detector and use them both.

Another possibility is your shop is too tight. You MUST have makeup air to replace that going up the flue. It'll draw at first but when the pressure differential inside is greater than the strength of convection going up the flue it stops drawing.

Frosty

An alternative is to find an electric blower (a junk automotive unit for example) and plumb it into your chimney so that the air flow enters from the side at around a 45 degree angle pointing UP. Mount it at above head hieght to keep it out of the way and to avoid heat issues and it'll act as an extractor (by venturi) sucking up air without the need for draw.

Essentially a variation on forced extraction, but by doing it this way you dont have to worry about an inline blower on a Forge flue.

An alternative is to find an electric blower (a junk automotive unit for example) and plumb it into your chimney so that the air flow enters from the side at around a 45 degree angle pointing UP. Mount it at above head hieght to keep it out of the way and to avoid heat issues and it'll act as an extractor (by venturi) sucking up air without the need for draw.

Essentially a variation on forced extraction, but by doing it this way you dont have to worry about an inline blower on a Forge flue.

That'd be induction ala Bernoulli's principle.

A Venturi is something else entirely, similar but different.

Still a viable solution by any name.

Frosty

Thanks for all of the recommendations from everyone. I nipped it in the bum by routing the flue straight through the roof. Havnt had the same problem again. I do still have a bit of smoke when adding green coal, but its my first coal fueled forge and I've to teach myself how to properly use it. Thanks again!

I stand corrected on the venturi effect, I said it based on the literature that came on an old vacuum pump I had that worked by blowing very high pressure air through one pipe and across the top of another, it sucked the air out of the pipe making a vacuum. They said it was a venturi, so we were both wrong :D

Live and learn

I did the same thing - got to have a bigger pipe.
I used the 6 in stove pipe but I used 2 to make 1 large pipe.
I took them apart at the seams and attached them together at the seems.
They will lock together I made a collar that fit the pipe and welded it to the top of my sidedraft hood . It works really good

Need a straight run of pipe above the ridge of roof

sidedrafthoodworking1.jpg