I Forge Iron

Memorial Cross

I don't think I've mentioned this here yet, but my step son commited suicide the beginning of this past summer. My wife is creating a memorial garden for him in our front yard and asked me to make a cross to go into it. This is what I came up with. I used some "scrap" steel and riveted the pieces together.

9877.attach

9878.attach

9879.attach

Also, no offense intended, but its on the small side, most any flower will hide it, The Cross should be the focal point of the Memorial garden, It should draw the eye of the onlooker to it immediately, chest or waist high would be much better. Think of it as the CENTER PIECE of the garden. Make it stand out.

remember you asked.

remember you asked.

Actually I didn't ask, I was just displaying what I had done. It is as tall as I intended it to be.

The cross is "NOT" the focus of the garden, it is only a component of the garden. My wife is a very independant thinker so this is a very non traditional garden.

Her son liked "weird" stuff and so it is a cactus garden. (There are at least 15 different cactus types so far with more to come. She is also creating a sign post, with arrow pointers of his favorate places in Wa. state. That will be another component.

Nice job Larry.
Everyone always has an opinion about something....but the important thing here is the fact you made it for your son's memorial garden. I think it is fine just the way it is!

Sorry for you and your family's loss. I hope making this helped in the grieving process...post some photos of the memorial garden too when it is completed.

Regrads,
Peyton

To laugh much and often.
To win the respect of inteligent people, and the affection of children.
To earn the appreciation of honest critics, and endure the betrayal of false friends.
To appreciate beauty.
to find the best in others.
To leavr the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition.
To know that even ONE life has breathed easier because you have lived.
THIS IS TO HAVE SUCCEEDED.
A true success, congratulations, and I for one wish you and your wife MANY more.
Paul.
It's always too soon to Quit.... It's not over... Untill we Win!!!

I would be proud to have that in my yard, well done. Sometimes people mean to be helpful and come across as negative, life is too short to get our undies in a bunch over stuff like that. As the others have stated, we greave with you, and hope to see more of your projects in the future.

This post stayed on my mind and I came up with how fortunate you are to be able to do something for your wife, something that she has asked for, something to help her.

These situations leave us so frustrated because we often feel a strong sense of powerlessness.

I pray that it helps to ease the pain of a terrible loss.

The more I look at that cross, the more I see that it is perfect.

Thank you all for your kind responses. It has been a difficult time for us, my wife especially. I recognise that the "quality" level of that cross is less than perfect, (not something I would think of selling commercially) but it was presented here more in the spirit of why it was made and not for critical evaluation. I appreciate that you all understood that.

I apologize Larry. I misread the post and my criticizime was uncalled for. I know how you feel believe it or not. I lost my son at age 17 in 1987 and I essentially have never gotten over it. He always wanted a tall flagpole in the front yard as he was a very patriotic boy, he was killed while on a Civil Air Patrol Training Mission, and within a week there was a tall flag pole in the front yard, and after checking up on the subject, I fly his Funeral Flag on every Holiday and important military day in history. There is also a memorial FLag pole at his school that the wife and I donated in his name.

Again I APOLOGIZE for my post.

Respectfully
Jr. Strasil

Apology accepted Jr. I actually hadn't had time to get close to my step son, my wife and I were still short of our 2 year anniversary when it happened, he was 21 and recently released from the Navy with depression issues. It is of course hardest on my wife and for me hard to see her go through this. She is working very hard to move on with life but I know that it is something that you NEVER get over.

I certainly sympathize with your loss and know that it is something you feel every day.

Thank you all again, Larry