I Forge Iron

1st time using a power hammer & 1st reforged hammer.

Hey Y`all,
Saturday i went over to Wayne`s shop. Well the main purpose was to reforge swedish style hammers bought from BS Depot & BS supply. Wqayne demoed it first , then my cousin & a guy reforged his hammer, then I reforged mine.

After My cousin & kent left I stayed for a while longer, and Wayne taught me to use the Big Blu air hammer of his. I forge a rr spike to 25"inches long. I plan on turning it in to a steak turner and making a long horn head out of the head of the spike. Which bringas me to wanna to build a Power hammer of some sort. I consider the aire hammer that Abana sells the plans for but Id have to buy a air compessor. So I have decied to build a tire hammer. I planon ordering the plans and building one. I`am going go ahead and start getting steel & stuff for it though.
Chris
PS I posted some pics of the hammer and of the spike.

9629.attach

9630.attach

9631.attach

9632.attach

I also got to use a powerhammer for the first time this weekend. I was taking a course from Jerry Culberson at Old Cedar Forge (the last he will ever offer) and used a 55 lb. Striker brand power hammer to chamfer and pre-forge the steel for the gate frame I made.

Very fun, kind of intimadating but really moves that steel fast! It takes a bit to get the hang of how much pedal to give it.

Do you have a before picture of that hammer Chris? It looks great, how does it feel to use?

I recently built a tire hammer, and am just getting a chance to use it on a regular basis, I made an axe with a spike out of a big ball peen hammer yesterday, the hammer reduced it so fast, I almost did the snoopy dance in my forge, nothin like it man, just hold on tight and rock & roll!!

I also got to use a powerhammer for the first time this weekend. I was taking a course from Jerry Culberson at Old Cedar Forge (the last he will ever offer) and used a 55 lb. Striker brand power hammer to chamfer and pre-forge the steel for the gate frame I made.

Very fun, kind of intimadating but really moves that steel fast! It takes a bit to get the hang of how much pedal to give it.

Do you have a before picture of that hammer Chris? It looks great, how does it feel to use?

sorry to hear about Jerry! why is he not offering anymore courses? i heard he had health problems but have they gotten worse?

sorry to hear about Jerry! why is he not offering anymore courses? i heard he had health problems but have they gotten worse?

Not to hijack the thread but yes his health is suffering. Between the motorcycle accident last year and the cancer it is really taking a toll on him. Apparently whenever he does any physical activity (like swinging a hammer) he ends up bleeding internally. He hopes that taking a year or so off will get him healed up enough to return to smithing at least in a limited amount. He is closing his retail shop and selling off all remaining stock but is not selling any of the tools.