I Forge Iron

Just got back from the scrappy

I felt like I needed a little vaseline when I drove outta there today. On the other had I picked up about 12' of Wrought Iron chain today and a few brake drums. The leaf springs where a good score as well. MMM knives and chisels here we come,but first I am going to build meself a forge. All I have left to pick up is some 2" pipe and I am in business.

Wow thats alot in my book.:o
Glad I met an old guy that gives me a ton and sells me better stuff at .04 a pound. I know the scrap prices have dropped over half around here.

wow, hey your fairly close.. sort of
I was thinking of heading up to Burchums, I think its called.. heard good things about that place :)

I'm afraid I have to wade in on the side of "poor use of funds" too. You can usually get a lifetimes supply of leaf springs for free or a sixpack from an auto repair place. Once folks get to know what you are doing they'll give you scrap! Save the money to buy tools you can't make!

You spent basically what I get to put into all my smithing for a full year ($20 a week to cover all my "vices") and didn't get anything that I covet save the WI chain. I'm building a 20x30' shop extension for about half of that! If you have that kind of money to throw around buy new stock, lots easier to use generally.

Another trick I have in my small somewhat remote town is that we have a non-ferrous scrapyard that sometimes gets ferrous scrap dumped on them. It's not worth it to haul it 100 miles to a ferrous scrap yard so they generally sell it to me for 10 cents a pound---makes both of us happy!

I'm glad you moved that decimal. If word got out that you were buying scrap at .90 you'd have had a line of beat-up pickups a mile long in front of your house and I would have been first in line.:D That's a nice looking score by the way. I'm sure everyone looking at the pics has already forged 100 different projects in their minds. At the yards around here it's all about the lbs. So, if you pick up a couple of washer/dryers, hot water heaters and miscellaneous junk on trash day you can trade for weight if you see something good in the pile. I don't spend a lot of time on it but I don't pass up the oppourtunity to turn someone's trash into someone else's trash that I, then, can use. That way I don't have to beg the treasury department for increased funding everytime I want to buy some junk.

There is a railroad near my house that everyone thinks is a dump area. You can go there and find most anything, leaf springs, brake drums railroad spikes, etc.

LOL same here pault....i go there and its so old that i can pull the spikes outa the ground with no effort...i found 40 feet of rebar just sitting there, lots of plate and other stuff! i now have 100+ spikes

100 spikes *wow* that's more than I have used in 28+ years of smithing! (and 8 moves). I let the railroad store them for me and only pick up some when I need them. Funny thing; even when I move the local track still has some tossed out into the brush along side it no matter where I am.

i find all kinds of things on my local RR track. i get all the spikes i can carry, the plates that go under the tracks, large bolts and nuts, the bent bars that go to something( not sure what they are but they are good 1/2 in bar stock) and different bars that i find. the scrap yard that i go to has all kinds of stuff including piles of bar stock in 20ft lengths. i picked up some 3/4 by 1/8in stock for candle holders and a 10in piece of one inch round bar to make a tomahawk drift. i think that i am going to make the guy at the scrap yard a spike knife and maybe he will put some cool stuff that he gets aside for me.