I Forge Iron

trenton anvil date help

Rub chalk or charcoal into the number, then wipe it off the surface. The increased contrast will make it a lot easier to read.

Another trick is to light it from the side, light at an oblique angle makes surface detail like stamped digits stand out better.

Frosty

Great idea to try the shaving cream! I was able to read the weight and most of the serial number...slight damage to one side makes it impossible to be 100% sure. Serial number looks like A 70290

Anybody with a "Anvils In America" book mind looking up the date for me? I don't have the book yet. Thanks!

I've got a Trenton too and would appreciate it if someone looked this up. I took a look at the numbers. There was a 60 at the bottom left if the horn is pointed right at you. At the bottom right was 19709 Can't really read anything on the side except the "enton" because it looks like someone chiseled the side extensively.

i've got a trenton too and would appreciate it if someone looked this up. I took a look at the numbers. There was a 60 at the bottom left if the horn is pointed right at you. At the bottom right was 19709 can't really read anything on the side except the "enton" because it looks like someone chiseled the side extensively.

106001-11400=1912

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Welcome aboard, typing in bold italic's is frowned upon. I imagine one of the moderators will correct that. Someone with a copy of AIA (Anvils in America) will be along shortly to give an idea of when your anvil was made. How about some pictures of it? If you read enough you will discover we love pictures. Have you seen this thread?  READ THIS FIRST

• 1 year later...

Hello and welcome to the forum! 

if you haven’t yet then you might wanna take a look at the (read this first thread) it’s full of information on how to use, navigate and get the most out of IFI,

as far as your anvil goes we kinda need some more information to help give you more insight,

if you can, we need pictures of the anvil, and also we need the serial numbers if you want to know the date, 

Also theres an awesome book called Anvils in America thats has a wealth of information about Trenton anvils if you would like to know more in depth about them, 

Okay I see your pictures now,

I think your serial reads 98544, if that’s it then your anvil was made in 1911, 

trenton was an American wrought anvil company 

it looks like it’s in pretty usable shape, don’t worry about those chipped edges, 

don’t do any grinding to it! But you can clean it up with a wire wheel if you want without any damage, 

to check the rebound take a ball bearing an a ruler an see how far the bearing bounces back up, 

Looks like I was posting at the same time as Twisted, I couldn’t see the pictures at the time I posted, so if they were there I apologize because all I could see at that time was “ I have a Trenton”. I can’t give any information on the date, but you have a nice anvil, with some edge damage, but it is still a good anvil as long as it still has a good rebound. 

Welcome aboard Tyler, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a chance to hook up with members living within visiting distance. Also lots of information is location specific, as you can tell from responses about your anvil, where it is makes a BIG difference. My corner of Alaska is blacksmith tool poor and anvils go fast at $7-8/lb. but getting $10/lb. isn't uncommon. Guys here often buy new and bite the bullet for shipping because it's cheaper.

Don't mistake ASKING price for SALE price. I've seen guys asking $2,000+ for a 100lb anvil. No, sorry bud, it's rusty, neither vintage nor antique. There was a 6" leg vise advertised for $2,800 here for must've been 3 years. Then one day is was gone, just gone. Turns out the guy's wife asked around, discovered it was actually worth maybe $200 and sold it to a guy in our club for $100 to get it out of the way.

Frosty The Lucky.