I Forge Iron

Hello all new to the site and have some questions

I am currently in Iraq and am about to go home for good. I have a house with a back yard large enough to put a nice size shop in. I no nothing about blacksmithing, I am interested in making knives...especially the folded over type similar to the sameri swords. I am really open to any ideas. I would love to find a ways to make a hobby into small income producing occupation. I am interested in any books or training or anything that could give me some introduction into this to get me started. I am on the east coast and can travel anywhere on that coast to participate in schools, workshops, fairs etc. Any info would be great.
Thanks in advance,
James Gannon

Cap'n,

I am making the assumption you are a returning soldier. If so, thanks for your service, God bless you. Second, where on the east coast are you going to be located? We have several good org's here, and if you are close to me, I'll do anything I can to help. Just spend time wandering around this site for the next couple weeks, these guys are great! Knives are great, but what blacksmithing really has done for me is fill an artistic void in my life that I never knew existed. You may find the same. In any event, welcome aboard and best wishes to you and yours.

Im near hilton head inland some close to savanna Ga, but as I said can travel to any fairs , workshops etc. Im actually a contractor out here wirking for the Army, but I agree the military deserves all the credit in the world. As I look thru the site I see lots of interesting things that can be done with blacksmithing, so I will take your advise and keep my eyes open and scour the pages for ideas.
Thanks Again
James

James, I live about 250mi from your area at the NC/SC states line. You are welcome to visit my shop on almost any week end. I have been making knives for about 6yrs and although I do not make japanese type blades, I will be glad to teach you basic forging techniques.

Welcome aboard James it's good to have you as part of the gang.

Thank you for serving and hope your return is warm and safe.

If you go to the top of the page and click on "User CP" and edit your profile to show where you are I'm sure there are a bunch of guys who'd be proud to have you over. I certainly would be, if you're ever in Alaska please look me up.

Frosty

I am fairly new to this forum and I think you have found the right place to ask the question about your interest in Blacksmithing.. There are good people here and willing to help all they can, fact is most Blacksmiths are. I have found this forum very helpful for me. Again, Thank you very much for you service to our country.;)