I Forge Iron

Harbor Freight Truck Bed Crane

Quenchcrack

Harbor Freight has a truck bed crane for $99 ($89 in the store) that I finally got installed in my Tundra: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I did this to allow me to safely move my anvil in and out of the truck bed when going to demos and HABA meetings. Works slicker than snot on a glass doorknob! I bought a 48" length of 800# chain and a matching link and made a figure 8 with the removable link at the cross point. I slip the loops over each end of my anvil and hoist it up with no effort at all. I hate all this mechanical claptrap but the orthopedic surgeon that fixed my back said no lifting for a year. OK, gotta keep my back warranty in effect so the crane will be used.

I would suggest That you make you a box, That you could lift up into the tail gate, And have a gate type set up on the box so you can slide out what ever you lift up. Not sure what you would want to make it out of.. Probably alum..
You could also take a 55 Gl drum and cut it in half, "longway" and make you a gate on one end, and You put wheels on it, So when you lift something up in the truck you could roll it to the area you want it,,Then dump it out,Then go get some more stuff to put in your truck.

Edited by WagonMaster

• 1 month later...

He doesn't call himself WagonMaster for nothing eh? :-) In the event you didn't want the "wagon" floating around the back of your truck during the trip back and forth a rectangle of 3/4 inch plywood with a rope sling would work as well. For the really heavy stuff reinforce it with 2 X 4's.

• 3 weeks later...

You can also use an old heavy canvas tarp for a sling load. Cut it square size to suit, grommets on each corner, S hook to hold the corners together.....you got a dandy bag to hold odd shapes and bags of stuff without it falling out or rolling off. Use the Little Red Wagon on the ground to haul stuff to and from the truck.

After a week or two of wondering if someone would try to steal the moveable part of the crane (Houston area, remember) I just took it off and now leave the boom in the garage. When I need it, I put it back on the post that is bolted to the bed and frame. I coated the inside of the post with Lithium grease to prevent rust, too. I am begining to evolve a design for a pallet with lifting eye-bolts at the corners and some heavy duty rope to hang it from. Thanks for all the input!