I Forge Iron

Permenant magnet chuck for tacking and grinding

I just ordered a 10"x20" magnetic chuck for layout and tack welding small pieces, as well as holding pieces for grinding. 

I have seen these used in some knife making videos for surface grinding forged knife blanks. One night recently I was up at my welding table grumbling about pieces jumping out of place when I went to tack them and this popped into my head. I didn't know what they were called so after a lot of trial on names I finally found them.

I debated long and hard on a size to buy vs. Cost, but eventually decided to buy once and cry once. No doubt in my mind that its usefulness will negate the cost in no time.

I'm sure most machinists know about these but I didn't. 

Anyway, when it arrives, I will post more on if it is the time saver and just what I needed or if it was an unneccessary purchase that I could have got by without. 

There was one video on yt that sort of sealed the deal for me where the guy built one into his welding table. 

My point in this is to possibly share the idea to those it might be helpful to that didn't know about these like I didn't.  

20240220_202005.thumb.jpg.4a29a089ff3842b5eabf341f36c6fc0e.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a great idea in my book!  Thanks for sharing.  I've seen those before but never thought of adapting them in that way.  Perfect for arranging and re arranging bits and pieces to your liking and flip the lever to lock it all in place for tacking.  Grinding too.  I look forward to hearing how you like it.  I doubt you will regret it and it's going on my to get list...:)

On a side note, a place I worked at, we used a form of them with an overhead crane for grabbing and moving heavey chunks of steel around.  They were the shaped and size of a car battery and had a lever on the side to turn it on and off.  They were powerful.

Btw, I like that sign of theirs in the video....:)

Hi all, I have two permanent magnetic chucks a Brown & Sharpe 760 and B&S 618. Good old school made in the USA chucks. They are indespensible for holding work pieces for shaping, grinding, filing and drilling. They are most commonly used on milling machines, shaping, surface grinders. Also great for layout and assembly operations. Here are a few of my observations: They work best with flat stock, sometimes round and spherical shapes may be moved around by the magnetic fields and or just easily move because they have very little surface area in contact with the chuck. If you use round stock or ball bearings you will soon learn where they will hold best on the chuck. Also be very careful if you use the chuck for welding operations as magnets are easily damaged by heat.  For instance my chucks are not designed for heat over 80 degrees centigrade. Also I would not recommend any hammering on them also will damage the magnets. I personally do not use my chucks for welding period. I asked a friend who owns a large machine shop about that years ago  his answer was do that in my shop you're FIRED right now. Having said that I think that if you are "just tacking" work pieces and take care not to heat the surface of the chuck it will do its job but take care and also be aware that magnetic fields can and will mess with weld beads depending on the proximity to the field and strength of the field. Go forth and have fun I doubt you will regret having one. Here are a few pics of my old ones:

DSC01292.JPG

DSC01295.JPG

Scott, I saw a lot of releasable magnetic lifters in looking for one of these. Even saw videos of people making electromagnetic welding tables. Thats above my pay grade. In buying something like this i can get to work instead of adding more to do projects to my list that I may or may not achieve. I have stuff to make that I can sell and buying this just gets it all moving faster in my limited shop time. 

Thanks for your insight from your experience Direwolf.

Those are some nice quality ones there. 

Yes I was warned about magnetic fields affecting welds. This mainly is just for setup, tacking and grinding/wire wheeling. 

No doubt a machinist wouldn't want a welder near their expensive chucks. I am no machinist. Lol. 

I don't plan to do any hammering on it. If I needed to adjust something I would do it off of this. Even tho the one I'm buying is a cheap asian made version, it still isn't cheap, and I wouldn't want to ruin it. I really feel the investment would save me a lot of mis tacks from pieces jumping, And a lot of burns from holding pieces while tacking them. Let alone saving on gloves from holding pieces to wire wheel them or having them fling around. I do a lot of smaller flat pieces so it should work out great. 

Like any tool I feel if I don't abuse it it should last a while. 

The website of the industrial surplus place often has listings for magnetic chucks. They always give me a moment of pause, because the only fellow I know personally who's named Chuck isn't particularly magnetic.

I'm guessing you can't grind for long before plain ol' Chuck turns into Charlie the Chia Pet. 

I'm O.K corralling swarf, of course, but I'm curious:  Does it drop right off when you turn off the magnet? Get in the way sometimes?  

Hi Guys, Das is right when you turn off the magnetic field most will easily fall or sweep off. However, my big chuck the 618, always has some magnetic field on the chuck surface so I use a rag to coral and remove it. I don't know if that is normal it is an old chuck probably 1950's with lots of use. When I got it it would not turn on/off, the lever and mechanism was jammed. I had to take it apart clean old grease ect out then it was working but with some residual magnetism when "off". It works good for holding work pieces so I am satisfied. I got the 618 at a machine shop auction when I bought the nut and bolt inventory as a group with some tractor magnetos, no one would bid because you couldn't have the wooden shelf/bins which were built in the chuck was on the floor under the part bins. The auctioneer looked at me and barked gimme a buck lets go! As soon as I said I'll give ya a buck he shouted sold ya gotta take it all! I 'm still usng th nuts and bolts so I have no complaints wth the chuck. Be careful if you ever attempt to take one of these apart they can be ruined if you aren't careful. I am not a machinest just use these for filing and grinding. I.m looking forward to hearring how yours works Daswolf.

Man, what a deal. Sure, hard work but you can't beat it if you can haul it and store it. 

I was at a farm auction like that and unfortunately after winning some large piles of scrap and some other things, I had to pass on the giant lot of nuts and bolts because I didn't have room in the truck to haul it all. And it was too long a drive to make it back in time later.  Major regret tho as I could use all of that even more now than back then. 

I recently purchased a relatively cheap Chinese magnetic chuck.  It's 6" x18" and weighs nearly 50 pounds.  In the "off" position there is no attraction to magnetic steel at all- as would be expected.  In the "on" position I can fairly easily remove a piece of angle iron that is about 6 inches long, 1/8" thick with 2" sides.  That doesn't seem right to me. 

I figured I would be able to lift the entire chuck into the air by pulling on the piece of steel with the chuck in the "on" position.  However, I have no prior experience with these, so I don't know if I have unrealistic expectations or a substandard chuck.  Any thoughts from those of you who have experience with these?

Hi Buzzkill, my 618 chuck is also 6" x 18" I haven't weighed it but I estimate it is at least 40 lbs. I just put a piece of 2"x2" angle 3/16 thick flat on the face, engaged the magnets and can easily lift the whole block. I couldn't dislodge the iron by hand, I think it would take a good shap hammer blow to get it loose. I then tried a 3" piece of angle 5" long same result easily lift the chuck and no way I could dislodge it by hand. This particular chuck is quite strong. As I said above it was jammed when I got it so I think the mechanicaal linkage in mine is worn just enough that it does not quite fully disengage when turned off. When turned off I can easily break the work piece loose but it still has a hold on it. My small 760 chuck completly disengages but has a powerrful grip wwhen engageed. Hope this helps. I have no experience with thee newer chucks, I do have friends who are full time machienists who I could ask at some point.

One thing I wonder, is if the size and thickness of the material you are working with would affect the magnetic qualities of it.  And having it clean of debris.  But if you were just using it to arrange things to tac together it would work fine.  I wouldn't use one on a surface grinder.  It will be interesting to hear Das's evaluation, because I intend to build a "tacking station" of sorts.  No more parts being pushed around.  I used to use stick welding for all my stuff, what a joke.  Mig still pushes fiddly bit's around sometimes.

Sounds like it's either a bad design or a quality control issue.  I'm tempted to take it apart and see if there's any way to adjust the magnets that move inside.  It could be that the moving part is off by a quarter inch or something similar.  Sorry, I don't know the terms for the different parts of that tool. 

I can feel some pull about 1/8" of a turn from the off position, and the hex key does rotate pretty much a full 180 degrees from the "off" to the "on" position.

HI, it does sound like there may be some kind of issue with you're chuck. Mine also rotates a full 180 degrees. When I got it it was jammed/stuck that is probably why it was sitting in the parts room. It has been almost 20 years but I know I had thoughts of takng it apart. I think I did a little research and decided not to because if you do not follow precise procedures the magnets will lose their magnetism. I just did a quick google and saw that same advice so I would suggest that you do some research before digging into the chuck. As I recollect I found the plug for adding oil/lubricant and with some patience, oil, and a little help from a soft blow hammer I eventually got mine freed up. I would not be surprised to find that these new chucks may utilize rare earth magnets which may not have the same issues as the ceramic magnets like my old chuck has. It is probably wise to proceed slowly perhaps wait to get an update from Daswolf when he gets his. I suppose another avenue would be contacting the supplier/manufacturer. Good luck keep us posted I am curious to see what you find out.

I'm sure different chinese makers could have different quality but i noticed the one in the video looked to be one of the chinese versions sold on amazon. The one in the video seemed to hold stronger than you describe yours. 

I would atleast contact the seller with the issue before attempting a disassembly. 

Before seeing the video it was really hard for me to pull the trigger to purchase it with so few reviews. 

For what I am planning to use it for I would be happy for it to atleast hold smaller pieces in place but I Would like it to be strong enough to hold heavy pieces solid.

The size I ordered is supposed to weigh in around 100#.

Speaking of heavy, I noticed from my doorbell camera that a package came and judging from the delivery guys handling of it  it looks heavy so I think it arrived. 

Oh man... Please let it not be damaged... ! Kids can't get baths and to bed soon enough. It surely is 100#.

Came boxed in light plywood with metal straps and corner straps. There is a depression in one half of the top. I hope that is just negative space. 20240226_195101.thumb.jpg.4c10f299516ad669cbb6760bb7c22c4d.jpg

Finally got to unbox this thing. Fortunately it made it undamaged. 

First opinions. It came with a big honking allen wrench. Good thing because as new the lever is stiff. I'm sure it will lap in over time. 

Looking at the tag, it is blank with no manufacturer or model or anything. Guess I will customize some stamping on there for fun and might as well put todays date and year so I remember how long it lasts or when I got it. 

Now the big one. How strong is it. Well, not as strong as I hoped but strong enough for my intended purpose and not weak enough to return it. 

Here is how it seems to me. The more flat area the better it holds. A bicycle sproket flat, can't move it. The plier handles i can pick right up and adjust but it will hold them enough for tack welding without jumping.  The 1/8"x1" flat is harder to pick up on edge than flat but probably because it flexes on the flat lifting it.  Meanwhile a rusty 2"x3/8" piece of steel will lift the end up but pulls freely on edge. 

Anyway, this will work fine for my intended purpose if tack welding heat doesn't harm it. I believe these are more intended to hold large already flat pieces for other kinds of machine work. But i am not let down other than I had thought it might be a wee bit stronger.

You can tell the separate magnets with a ball bearing but it does hold two together just fine.  In a way after putting some cut nails on, I can adjust them a bit with the magnet engauged but in place they hold well. 

Also, total loss of magnetism in off, so yeah, it will be easy to clean. 

Was it everything I hoped? Eh, no. Is it what I can use to tack stuff together without jumping? I think so, Yes. 

Next will be some welding tests. 

20240226_212419.thumb.jpg.3f2001b87273cbba2e029d3f5023d6db.jpg

20240226_212533.thumb.jpg.59cf9ac77a8069db07417213a1a8bf4f.jpg

20240226_212536.thumb.jpg.581ce390fc6815f40eb90acb33f22f55.jpg

20240226_213316.thumb.jpg.8b34a9c0b014b229402779fd11842ead.jpg

20240226_220316.thumb.jpg.605fa2cacc54a7600424ebc2f94ff61f.jpg