I Forge Iron

Anvil ID and How'd I do?

I think FIF has been good to resuscitate a dying skill. Yes you might see people who may not be the best in the trade but at least they are there willing to put their work out there for everyone to forever critique and criticize. I find it fascinating that there are a lot of "experts" who are willing to critique and criticize the contestants but in the same breath refuse to attempt to go on the show. Maybe it's because it's not worth their time, maybe they didn't even get through the application  process, maybe it's a little bit outside their boat house, maybe they don't like being in front of cameras, and maybe it's because they aren't willing to put their work on the line to forever be critiqued and criticized. Maybe before we bag on the FIF contestants we should do a lot of introspection on how, when, where, why, and who we have tried to spread, teach, and pass on our knowledge of proper blacksmithing or bladesmithing techniques and principles.

Oh yeah, they selected contestants very carefully, one first DQ and two finalists, just like any game show. 

I can't control my wind:wacko:, all can do is warn people off. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

30 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I can't control my wind:wacko:, all can do is warn people off. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, for some reason I think that you would be more like “ sneaky Pete”

I don't mean to interrupt a good breakdown of FIF... but clean-up has revealed a few things on this anvil!

It has a flat bottom (does this indicated a manufacturer? I have seen lots with sunken/relieved bottoms) and there is what might be a circular logo with an A in it. See attached pics

20240209_172832.jpg

20240209_173459.jpg

Or a secret identity! Stewardesses on the airline flights I used to take frequently would walk down the isle and "crop dust" to avoid "venting" out loud. I used to fly round trip, weekly on the job and got to know the stews pretty well.

Frosty The Lucky.

It doesn't really tell you who made the anvil, and if there is an A, I would tend to think it most likely an inspector's mark., although Lord knows I could be mistaken. It does eliminate most of the ones that had depressions in the bottom. Unfortunately, that still leaves a few hundred makers or so. Did you have any luck tilting it and rubbing baby powder or something similar into the sides to bring faint depressions into relief? I've had some that the marks were completely unreadable on until I did that. Even then they were often faint.

I liked the show. There was a lot of silliness, drama, and contrivance, but it was fun to watch and heck, every once in awhile I saw someone I knew.

One of the guys in our club was on FIF and said it was a pretty honest competition but the set was unbearably hot. It just got old for me when I could pick the winner during the introductions 3 out of 4 times. The first eliminations were really easy. 

It was worth watching, I still catch an episode now and then but I can't stop myself from picking out mistakes. It does make me wonder if the majority of knife makers have such mediocre basic shop skills. Seriously, as has been said watching them burn up drill bits on knife tangs is jr. high, metal shop 101 basic. You'd spend a few hours reading in the class section if the instructor caught you pulling that stunt. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

On 2/11/2024 at 11:08 PM, Nobody Special said:

Did you have any luck tilting it and rubbing baby powder or something similar into the sides to bring faint depressions into relief?

A bit I think...Let me know if you can make anything out, I threw some baking powder on it.

I spent the Sunday this weekend picking up some free oak and black walnut logs from a golf course. Got the anvil mounted to the big oak log today, and I'll use the black walnut for handles and the like. I also very lightly dressed the edges with a flap disk and coated the body in hydraulic oil because the transition to Spring brings out the sweats in metal here in Ohio.

20240213_162532.jpg

20240213_162637.jpg

20240213_162416.jpg

Can see writing, but a bit much for me to make out. Usually oblique lighting is your friend for this. A bit of a rorschach test and guesswork at this point. There's clearly an A, and maybe an HOL above it. That makes me want to guess Mousehole but I doubt it, especially without the dots between the numbers. Dunno, maybe someone more experienced than me can see it. I would try the other side too, they often have stamps on both sides.

8 minutes ago, Nobody Special said:

Can see writing, but a bit much for me to make out. Usually oblique lighting is your friend for this. A bit of a rorschach test and guesswork at this point. There's clearly an A, and maybe an HOL above it.

Sorry for the pics being so unclear, it's tough to get the right angle and also not have the powder get into every tiny crevice. I think I can see "IGH" center, and just below the A. This looks like it's a Peter Wright from this, also the font of the  numbers seems to match for whatever that's worth.

What convinced me was the thumbnail from this fellow's video (not affiliated in any way):

But I'm just guessing still. No matter what it is, I'm going to put a hammer to it. I bought a used jackhammer chisel and I'm going to try to make a hardy tool from that.

maybePW.png