I Forge Iron

diy anvils, any ideas?

Welcome aboard Alexander, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

Iforge has an entire section and extensive thread discussing "improvised" anvils. I'm sure someone will post a link I can't seem to find it but it's there.

Frosty The Lucky.

You mention building a starter "forge", be sure to look a the "JABOD" thread for simple solid fuel forge ideas. Or I use a bottom blast forge using a brake rotor that is a simple plan as well mentioned somewhere on here. If looking for a gas forge there is extensive talk on here about building them. 

After looking around the topics, if you have questions please feel free to ask. 

Well best way to decide is what is available or abundant to you cheap, what Can you use in your area and what kind of work do you plan to do. Plus no one says you can just have one forge or kind of forge. 

There are also some trade offs between solid fuel forges and gas forges. 

Simplest and easiest to build and adjust is a JABOD "just a box of dirt" side blast solid fuel forge. 

One of the major problems with a brake drum forge is that they are too deep.  Unless you cut out notches on both sides you will be putting the work pieces down into the fire at an angle and can only heat the ends of a piece.  If you can cut or have cut notches they will work as a starter forge.  I think if I were starting our I would just use a JABOD until I could upgrade.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Caps lock catches us all now and then, I have to go over all my posts a couple times before hitting send. What size brake drums? Some aren't too deep and easily made reasonable depth by filling in with rammed clay, sand mix. Disk rotors are also a good option, they easily lay on a forge table. The disk covers enough space you can cut the table with an axe and it'll work a treat. ;)

You shouldn't need a carbide bit to drill a brake drum IF you brush the dirt off the outside. Drilling through sand, dirt, etc. is like drilling sand paper and will dull the bit almost instantly. A carbide will last longer but chatter tends to kill them. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A little more expensive, but not too bad  are the Mr. Volcano  gas forges you can order from Amazon. This morning the single burner one is $88 +tax and shipping.  They were $75 a year ago.  You'll need propane to fuel it and a couple of firebricks for end doors help so it's not a free solution like a JBOD, but is about as cheap as you get for a gas forge that works.  Make sure it's on a heat resistant surface and away from anything flammable.  I'm a back yard smith so I don't worry about burning down the house, but it's something to be aware of if you're in a shop (along with good ventilation). 

As for anvils... a sledge hammer head will work and was what I used before getting a $150 Harbor Freight cast steel anvil.  You can pick up a sledge hammer with or without a handle at yard or estate sales for a few dollars.  If you have a largish chunk of steel of any kind (old truck axle, fork truck tine, etc.) you can use it for an anvil.  It doesn't have to look like a London pattern anvil to be an anvil.  

And some unsolicited advice.... 

You don't say what you intend to make. If it's knives, I'd suggest you ALSO make some more mundane items.  You mentioned needing dad's permission for the type of forge. SO...Make some coat hooks, key chains, fireplace tools, etc.  along with your knives. Your parents will be a little more supportive of a wide ranging hobby than with JR. making weapons and you'll learn some useful skills while making those other things.  

Above all, keep safety in mind.  Nothing will have your parents shutting down your hobby as fast as an injury or uncontrolled fire.  

If you can't afford a Mr. Volcano then build a JABOD, find an old boot sale, etc. hair drier and forge marketable items. This lets you break into the craft for very little money and you'll be making things you can sell, coat hooks and bottle openers are good examples. People bought coat hooks from me at demos individually and as sets. I gave folks a $0.25 per hook off for buying 4 or more. Bottle openers rarely sold more than 2 at a time but larger sets happened a couple times.

Once you find something that sells start putting the money in two containers. The first is to cover steel, fuel, burn ointment and bandages, etc. The second container is your new tools account. Once you get established and are selling enough product you can pay yourself.

Having a successful blacksmithing business is more about running a business than it is about blacksmithing. At least start reading books about how to run a business, accounting is a MUST, etc. etc.

It isn't as daunting a thing as it sounds, just take it slow and carefully and you'll be up and running in no time.

Get a 1st. aid kit!

Frosty The Lucky.

Alexander, there are a fair number of anvils out there that have been made from railroad rail.  Interestingly enough, a piece of railroad track works better as an anvil if it is on end and you are working on the end of the rail.  This is because you have more steel under your hammer in that orientation.  That's not to say that a London pattern anvil shape cut out of a rail will not work it's just that mounting it on end usually works better.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's great fun, isn't it?  Now MAKE something.  Anything.  And use what you make.  That's even better fun.  

If you're not sure what to make, try a plain hook with a scroll on the end.  A leaf hook is good too.  Then mount it to your wall and hang your coat on it! Keep that first item as a reminder of where you started.

Then make another...