I Forge Iron

Value of pedal grinder

48willys

normal_Pa070098.jpg
Over the weekend I found a old pedal grinder like this one
This one is rusty but complete ,the wheel is out of round or it needs to be balanced,but he is asking 75.00 for it.Sounded a little to much to me for the work i'll have to put in it to make it useable again,but what are they really worth?

Around here (Central Illinois) usual going price at auctions is between 50 and 100 dollars, depending on condition and number of antique collectors who happen to be at the auction. So that price sounds about right. My personal opinion: being able to sharpen (axes, knives, hatchets, mower blades, etc.) on a natural stone is worth that price. The two I have (one complete with metal tube frame, one just the wheel and mounting hardware for a wooden frame) are both slightly out of round. Since they are run so slow it really doesn't affect my using them that much.

Also consider a 14" grinding wheel, Aluminum Oxide, from Mcmaster Carr will run you in the 100 dollar range, and it is NOT a natural stone wheel.

-Aaron @ the SCF

I paid $50.00 for mine but it had a bad flat spot on the wheel. I had it water cut to true it up, $25.00 for that. (It still measures 18"+) So I have $75.00 in mine. Although I have not used it, the kids that come into my shop (no matter their age;) ) enjoy sitting at it and playing. I have sharpened a few drill bits with it. You might think about offering a little less and see what they say....

I have three stones so far but only one set up with a hand crank which I take to demos,
If i need to sharpen or polish anything up I invite the kids to turn the crank for me.
If I let it go on I could be sat there all day with a big queue of kids just waiting to have a go...........

Just located one at one of my favorite antique dealers for 15 dollars. Stone, shafr but the crank is broken, Wonder if I can locate a blacksmith to fix it? LOL! The stand is nothing to worry about I'll whip up a stand and pedal.
Finnr

• 10 years later...

Common around here seems to be a pretty sloppy spindle shaft and instead of standard wedges, they use leather to pack out any gaps.  I assume that one benefit of the leather is a very tiny bit of shock relief, possibly helping the stone not crack as easily at the bore.  It's also a pretty simple way to install things--wet the leather strips down and they can pack in quite easily.

Here is an example of a bit of leather inserted in one in my shop.  I know of several others where this method was used.

1863422630_zzzzgrindingwheel1.jpg.86a4cdbbad76e92d158aa284d3046284.jpg

On this one in my shop, there is a square wooden filler block in the square bore of the stone with a simple round hole for the spindle.  Some farmer made a wooden disc to act as a washer to hold the wheel in place when the nut on the shaft is tightened. The wooden disc also helps prevent stone cracking in the event that someone gets over-zealous in tightening the nut.

1651854541_zzzzzzgrindingwheel2.jpg.884d639bdbc276ecdf54b975ffc2feaa.jpg

And the other side of that one just so one can see the rest of the shaft with the original steel plate washer.  On this side there is an "upset" in the shaft to make a bulge and act as a stop when the nut on the other side is tightened. 

1799550400_zzzzzzgrindingwheel3.jpg.db0eb408306256cea5a3235f8e51b85d.jpg