I Forge Iron

Vise mounting plate

hey i recently bought a post vise....

its around 80# or so.

when i got it, it didnt come with the mounting plate (the bit that holds it to the bench/post)

i was wondering if anybody knows of any detailed piictures of one out there somewhere, or if any one could be so kind as to draw some up and post them..

also would a truck spring do for the spring? what dimensions is a standard one??

thanks

there are so many different types out there that I doubt there could be anything considered standard. Post some pictures of the vice and most likely someone here has one like it and can give details and pictures as to what the mount looks like and the spring.

Without those 2 items I hope you got a good deal on the vice.

Don't forget, a leg vice/vise spring doesn't have to be very strong, just have enough oomph to 'persuade' the moving jaw outwards when you open the screw. If you make it too strong it will be hard to close the screw. You should be able to squeeze the jaws closed with one hand. Truck springs are (I think) 1/4inch (6mm) thick. The spring on my vice is about 2mm thick, or 3/32inch.

Dimensions-wise, most leg vices I've seen have the spring anchored by some method where the mounting plate attaches to the leg, and terminate an inch or less above the pivot.

Use the search function in the gallery, and Google image search, for terms like 'leg vise' 'post vise' etc. In the gallery, just 'vise' will probably suffice.

I just used a piece of 1/2'' thick x 4'' angle iron for the back piece that attached to the bench and a flat bar about 1/2'' x 1'' x 3'' for the front piece. drilled holes and mounted the angle to the bench and drilled holes in the 2 pieces that allowed me to run a bolt on either side of the vice leg between the 2 pieces.

For a spring I used a piece about 1'' wide and about 12'' long cut out of a lawnmower blade, bent it at the anvil and quenched it in water.

Edited by NateDJ

Columbian brand vises often have the "U bolt and angle iron bracket" direct from the factory.

A lovely ram's horn scrolled bracket looks great if you are going for an early look for your forge.

Not much in the way of standardization; look at pictures of peoples post vises and go wild!

These are a couple pics of the Columbian I repaired this summer. It needed the spring and new wedges in the U clamp. Somewhere I have pics of the parts laid out for painting but I don't know where.

I REALLY like the idea of animal head finials on the "U" clamp.

Pics of what you have will make helping a lot easier.

Frosty

8826.attach

8827.attach

Hi Frosty, there is no makers name on the legless vise, it came out of an old deceased blacksmiths workshop the executors needed help to find good homes for his tools rather than scrapping them. It was used as a welding vise (witnessed by the spatter on top of the jaws). Attached is a picture of a few self portraits he did, repousse'd on copper. I also have some pics of some of the old church ironwork he replaced, some going back to the 17th century, that was in a pit in the garage he used to store the tools in. Rusty but still in good condition, will have to get round to sandblasting them someday.

Hi Jake
The fastenings should ideally come together at a slight taper on each of the two pieces so that the overall effect is that the outer sides are parallel (Not like the ones shown which although near, are not exactly parallel, but do pull up solid when in situ due to the slot in mounting plate being slightly tapered)

When the wedge part is driven in, it will then pull tight the whole assembly, securing the vise solidly. If it does not expand parallel, then there will be the potential for the vise to move when being used.

The second type of fixing (On the legless vise), is secured by a tapered split pin, which on the post vise equivalent would mean that the bench mounting plate would have a slotted tong instead of the slotted fork that passes though a slot in the body of the post vise, and a slot in the spring, and a wedge is then put through to secure the whole assembly. This method is a lot weaker than the forked method, and usually (in my limited experience) found on the smaller range of post vises.

Need any more info?

8858.attach

8859.attach

8860.attach

8861.attach

8862.attach