I Forge Iron

Have you seen the site for Thak the Armourer and Blacksmith? He is down in your neck of the woods. I think he is somewhere around the Kitchener-Waterloo area. He has Blacksmith supplies. That is where I get my coal from(good quality by the way). I believe his website is thak.ca

robb martin is a great guy from what little i know him (met him once and bought a bag of coal from) but his prices for tools seem a tad over priced in my humble opinion. but hes in Floradale near St. Thomas. for a new vise its $699. but he sells stanley and picard hammers.

• 1 month later...

the professional in Orangeville sells really nice firepots anvils and other blacksmithing tools as well as coal. they are mainly a Farrier supply store but do have a pretty good selection of stuff.I priced out one of their Firepots at 290$ Rob Martins (Thak) was around 600$, in ontario it is really worth it to go to the store or phone Professional Farrier Supply

• 1 month later...

I have taken a few courses with Robb at Thak. I agree he is a great guy, but his tool prices are a bit high if you compare them to others on the net.
However, If you buy out of the States, pay for shipping, exchange, duty, and anything else enyone can think of to add on to your bill you will soon see why Robbs price is what it is. He has already paid these fees to get the items,
and has to turn some profit to stay in business.
I have been looking for two years for "cheaper" tool suppliers in Ontario.
I have come to the conclusion that if you can make it your self do it, if you can not make it yourself research the item BUT be sure to compare the quality of the item and weigh it against the amount of times you are going to use it.
Some items that do not get much use or strain can be found cheap.
I even try to adapt tools from other trades to do jobs.
In the end if you are not going to the States yourself to get tools, and you can not make it, buy from a reputable smith and help support the trade.

Thanks for reading.
Tim.
Thedford Ontario.

• 2 months later...
the professional in Orangeville sells really nice firepots anvils and other blacksmithing tools as well as coal. they are mainly a Farrier supply store but do have a pretty good selection of stuff.I priced out one of their Firepots at 290$ Rob Martins (Thak) was around 600$, in ontario it is really worth it to go to the store or phone Professional Farrier Supply

I never made it to Profarriersupply in person, but I did order their catalogue and talked to the folks on the phone. At the time I was looking for a firepot and a few other assorted items listed in the catalogue. They told me that most items like that are USA special order for them and that the prices listed are liable to increase due to the way the dollar is now and the fact that transport fees have increased. That conversation and the fact that they have bankers hours Monday - Friday only, kind of took care of that.

Have you tried TSC hardware stores? They are a type of country hardware store. There are not too many of them around and they don't show a catalogue on-line but they carry a wide variety of tools.Some I know carry farrier supplies as well. I checked and there is not a store in Hamilton but there are ones in Chatam, Guelph, Kitchener, St Jacobs and others in that area. If you happen to be near one of them sometime check them out. You may find quite a few tolls you might want or could use. they also supply all kinds of welding gasses etc. at good prices. I have been to one in Brockville and they have a lot of things I can't get anywhere else without ordering.

Terry

TSC is a good idea. They just bought the old Co-op in Milton. Last I heard they were still doing major renovation and bringing in new stock. I havn't stuck my nose into the store since the change of ownership though. I'll have to go check it out and post my findings.

Well depending on what you want and what you need you might find some goodies at Wards Farrier supply n rockwood just outside of guelph. they are mostly a Farrier supply but Bob Ward does carry some stuff that is usefull to the Blacksmith.

the only places i am realy familiar with are Professional, Wards and THAK. keeping my eye on this thread, i would love to know if there is as good smith supply in ontario myself.

Well depending on what you want and what you need you might find some goodies at Wards Farrier supply n rockwood just outside of guelph. they are mostly a Farrier supply but Bob Ward does carry some stuff that is usefull to the Blacksmith.

the only places i am realy familiar with are Professional, Wards and THAK. keeping my eye on this thread, i would love to know if there is as good smith supply in ontario myself.

Rockwood isn't THAT far away from me. I've never heard of Wards. Do you have any contact info for them?

Thanks. I appreciate that.
Btw....checked out what I thought was the new TSC store in Milton. It's actually called "VILLAGER by tsc". Nothing like the true TSC store that I've been to (been to the one in Kitchener). Saying that it was disappointing is an understatement.

Hi As I started this, I had the same problem with getting tools. Hammers were flying into pieces because they were so poorly made. As a millwright I have seen the same problem in my shop we work on some of the largest pieces of equipment in Canada. Hammers don't last long. I started bringing in German hammers and they last and stand up to the task. For spcialty hammers I shop Ebay I have purchased over 60 hammers some just heads for less than $300. Just be carefull some sellers do not like to sell to Canada. Tongs the same way 20 tongs $150. Anything is there.
Hope it helps

I agree, I've paid too much for duty and brokerage fees. One way I've found to save some money when shipping from the States is to have the seller ship USPS. It seems to eliminate brokerage fees. If you ship UPS, they always tack on brokerage fees for crossing the border and they're not cheap. It's just an option if you have no choice but to buy from the States.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RE: The TSC Stores posts:

The TSC here in Woodstock has gone through some pretty major facelifting.... To be honest, I liked it A LOT better before. The only thing that I go there for exclusively now is Oxygen, and SOME welding supplies because the Praxair Outlet Guy is real reasonable in his bottled gas pricing. You have to know what you're paying for though - SOME of the welding supplies can be had quite a bit cheaper at other places - I almost bought new a lens and cover there and then found the same one at an auto parts store at less than half the cost. The only other stuff I go there for is either sale stuff or stuff that I can't find elsewhere.

The Woodstock TSC store seems to be trying to become another Can. Tire/Princess Auto mix..... Loads of Chinese junk in the tools dept. :-(

Willy

• 4 weeks later...