Thanks for your input guys!
I did not actually know that a bit smaller lump would be better, but now I do so I'll definately use that info!
Matt, I agree, I need better air control. I am working on that. Any suggestions? :confused: I'm open. One thing I did do though is make the length variable on that grate by using another piece of pipe that blocks the air holes from the one end. In theory, I can use the whole 10 -12" of the fire pot length, or just a few inches.
Now on the practical side of that theory, I have found that a bit of debris does get down the holes and sort of bind the stopper pipe. So far not too bad and since the stopper pipe comes right out it's easy to clean. And again, this is where a better air flow control would be ideal, since having only 3 open holes will require less air than 10.
I had it in mind that the air tube would eventually need replacing as I was welding it all together, and as it would happen, I totally forgot about it the second I popped my welding helmet on my head and lowered the sheild!
Now providence is a great thing, concidering I had not even checked to see if my holes were facing in the correct direction, AND, as it would happen, that tube only ended up with a very small weld at each end before I lifted the helmet and returned to my senses!
Some of us are dangerous in the dark!