I Forge Iron

Hay Budden Anvil

Can anyone or everyone tell me about this anvil? I just bought a 172# Haybutton Anvil. It appears to be in good shape. The guy that sold it to me is a ferrier and also volunteers at the Hancock Shaker village. Guess now I need to go get some coal! I am stoked. I've been reading this forum for the last week or so and I am trying to get my head wrapped around some of this stuff. I have an old pair of shoe nail trimmers that I hope to transform into tongs. I'll start another thread for that.

Wish this forum had a neophyte section.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,
The IForgeIron Forum IS the neophyte section. Where better to learn than from those that have the knowledge. IForgeIron.com > Lessons in Metalworking > Blacksmithing is a good place to gain the basic knowledge about the craft. We encourage questions. At the bottom right of the forum page is the Site Archive. Take a cold drink and something to eat with you. Most of your questions have already been answered there, somewhere. Again, we encourage question, so please do not be shy about asking for assistance.

I set it on a big piece of an oak trunk in an open shed and positioned the forge there also. I have been saving junk for years for this moment. I have a few worn out sets of tiller tines, broken tools like worn out files, etc. I live on an old farm that has lost a few buildings due to neglect so I have some big hinges and the like. Something always pops up in the garden or pig pen that will find a use soon. I'll try to get a pic soon. I'm also going to need ear plugs, what a ring! The hammer nearly jumped to the moon!

Feels like a six year old's Christmas Morning!

I have a 156 lb Hay Budden and I love it . As for getting started once you do you won't want to stop.This is my first year and was fortunate enough to find a smith in my area to help me.I am waiting now to spend some time with him at a museum were he works the first two weekends in Oct. You will find that this site has all kinds of great people willing to help you and answer questions you have getting started and help preserve a piece of history.Welcome aboard and enjoy being bit by the bug of blacksmithing.

Made in Brooklyn New York, will be marked in pounds not CWT.

Excellent quality anvil.

Mount it so it doesn't ring *and* wear hearing protectors!

Anvils in America has information on how to date them; but I'll be headed to Quad-State Blacksmith Round-Up in Troy OH before I can get my copy near a computer.

The ring on my Hay Budden will shake the fillings out of your teeth if it isn't dampened . Nice piece of chain around the waist makes life so much more pleasant. Turning off my hearing aids isn't enough I wear ear muff style ear protection. I want to save what's left.
Finnr

Hay Buddens are great. I have two. They do tend to ring loud because of their slender waists, I think. That will definitely damage your hearing over time. I clamp mine down tight and put something soft, like a pc of plywood or a sheet of lead under the base. I also wear earplugs whenever I hammer.

Good for you Matt!

Before you start playing with things like hay rake tines, files, and other tool steel or HC (High Carbon) steels you should develop your forging skills on mild or wrought.

You'll find forging mild easier as it moves better so you can concentrate on your technique. Forging tool or other HC steels requires more care and judgement. consequences of mishandling HC steels range from failed work to serious injuries both during forging and after when a mis-heat treated piece fails at a critical moment.

Learn the forging, then the HC steels. Don't worry there's lots to do learning to forge mild. Lots and LOTS, every time you pick up the hammer.

Welcome to the loyal order (odor?) of Ferrets.

Frosty

Good for you Matt!

Before you start playing with things like hay rake tines, files, and other tool steel or HC (High Carbon) steels you should develop your forging skills on mild or wrought.

You'll find forging mild easier as it moves better so you can concentrate on your technique. Forging tool or other HC steels requires more care and judgement. consequences of mishandling HC steels range from failed work to serious injuries both during forging and after when a mis-heat treated piece fails at a critical moment.

Learn the forging, then the HC steels. Don't worry there's lots to do learning to forge mild. Lots and LOTS, every time you pick up the hammer.

Welcome to the loyal order (odor?) of Ferrets.

Frosty

Thanks for the advice. I have plenty of scraps around both hard and mild and some wrought to play with.

I set it on a big piece of an oak trunk in an open shed and positioned the forge there also. I have been saving junk for years for this moment. I have a few worn out sets of tiller tines, broken tools like worn out files, etc. I live on an old farm that has lost a few buildings due to neglect so I have some big hinges and the like. Something always pops up in the garden or pig pen that will find a use soon. I'll try to get a pic soon. I'm also going to need ear plugs, what a ring! The hammer nearly jumped to the moon!

Feels like a six year old's Christmas Morning!

If you think you feel good now wait till you fire up your forge and pull out a piece of glowing hot steel and pound the stuffing out of it ... :D
... the smell of the coal, the heat of the fire, the sparks, the ring of the hammer, the vibrations up your arm, the sweat, the soot ... YAH BABY!!! :D:D
Enjoy it man!
Revel in the fire and steel ... the hammer is your friend.

Aeneas
(... I need to go hit some steel now ...)

Have you looked into the New York State Designer Blacksmith Artist group? We have regional meets, and are very visitor friendly. Our group meets in my barn in Marion NY, look forward to meeting you.

Marion is a bit of a hike for me, but you never know. Thanks for the invite though. I'm pretty close to Vermont.

heya Matt, I'm in broadalbin ( near sacandaga lake ) about 40 min from you. let me know if youd like to come over for some pointers some time :)
throw me a email at knives@forgedknives.net some time
Shane

Welcome aboard Shane, glad to have you.

If you'll go to the top of the page click, "USER CP" and edit your profile to show where you're located I'm sure lots of guys will want to visit. Especially if the coffee's on and you have tastey snacks on hand. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it really helps to know a person's general location.

Frosty