I Forge Iron

Jayco's New Shop

jayco

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bentiron,
Check out your zoning laws. In my town any 10 X 10 structure needs no permit. It just has to be 15 feet off the property line. You may be able to build something without permit at all if you can deal with a smaller building. Also you could just tell them your putting in a wood burning stove and let them inspect away. Now using coal is another thing. Not allowed in close to the center of town where I am, But no one asks and I don't tell.:rolleyes:

Doug C., This ain't Boston. This is Cave Creek,AZ and I have a little thing called covenants, codes and restrictions. I can't put up anything, nothing, zilch, nada on my property with out permission of the homeowners association first, then the county. The first thing is the HOA and the CC&R's and they don't allow 10'X10' nothings, no how, no way in this neighborhood not even a storage shed. If you ever look to buy a new house the first thing you need to do is check and see if it has a HOA and CC&R's and if it does DON'T buy the house no matter how good the deal. The HOA will hound, harass, and otherwise make your life a misery unless you march to their tune. Live free and don't live in an area that has an HOA.:mad:

Bentiron,
Good advice. Deb and I will be downsizing in a few years as all 4 kids are now in college. Guess I need to move a little further from civilization so I can do what I want with fewer prying eyes. Know anyone nearby with a big lot, no HOA and a willingness to let you use 100 sq feet of their back yard?

Bentiron, I agree with you. I live in a deed restricted comunity with a HOA. No sheds, no parking in the street, no commercial vehicles, trailers, boats, etc. I can't even paint my house the SAME color without writing a letter to inform them. It really..........well........to tone ot down a lot, it stinks. The only good thing about the deed restrictions is that it keeps our property values up.
Oh, and I don't have room at home for a shop, even if they permited it. I have to drive 8 to 10 miles to my office to do any smithing. Or stay late after work. Which makes me miss time with the family. ( On the possitive side, at least I do HAVE a shop )

Ok, my turn to get off the soap box......... NEXT!!

MRobb,Bentiron, I thought I was having problems....bending nails.....finding time to bend nails.
I guess I should count my blessings that I can build a shop!
From the posts I've read, there are a lot of folks that are in one way or another 'restricted' and can't.

These past few weeks I've made little progress in actually moving in the shop, but I'm pretty close to making what we around here call "a real showing".

I've been nailing some of the 'battening' over the cracks between the siding boards and have my electrical stuff all ready.

Most importantly, for me anyway, I've been experimenting with what type of forge setup I'm going to use in the new shop. I have a 4 ft. x 40in.x 1/4 in plate that will most likely become the table for the forge. I've made a 3 in. round tee to go under it.......must do something for a firepot.......Havn't decided on that one yet.

I've got a little portable forge set up in the old shop so I don't suffer 'smithing withdrawl'.......

And here are a few pics........

That's the 3 in. tee in the car wheel forge
The one on the steel frame is my portable forge

9061.attach

9062.attach

9063.attach

9064.attach

9065.attach

Jayco, sorry to vent on your thread. The problems some of us in "restricted" areas are just speed bumps on the road to progress. I guess a little frustration comes with it.
You have a great shop coming along. Please keep the pics coming. We are enjoying your progress.

Mitch

Bentiron,you're right about the fire hazard near the forge. I haven't gotten pics of the inside yet, but there's 24 in. wide roofing metal on the inside walls near the ground (sort of underpinning'. That will be a big help with fire safety, but there are also 2 x 4 stretchers running 12 in. high from the ground. I will have to put flashing metal over these 2x4's to keep sparks and hot bits of metal from starting a fire there.

A smoldering ember in a crevice,forgotten, can be the end of a wooden structure.

I saw an old wood structure shop once that had all the horizontal beams hewn in such a way, with a peak, that no hot metal could stay there without rolling off to the ground.
evidently, the builders were thinking 'fire safety'.

nice looking shop ! it is real similar to my shop at the museum.. are you going to have people stopping by to watch?if so you might try what i did and have part of one wall hinge up for a opening . it allows people to watch without being in shop and gives good ventelation also.just a thought... good job!

dablacksmith, I plan to put in a set of double doors when I can,...for a few reasons

increased ventilation in summer
for getting larger pieces in and out...and as you said
if someone wants to watch, they can have a full view of everything from outside the shop.

I got the forge set up and of course....had to try it!

The forge table is 40 x 36 in.........with 8 x10 in. rectangular fire pot.

Haven't got the side draft flue in yet, so I used charcoal (less smoke)!

Here are some pics.......more in my 'New Shop' album in the gallery..

I haven't moved the anvil,post vise,tools,stock, or anything else yet.

There is still much to do!

9174.attach

9175.attach

9176.attach

9177.attach

9178.attach

9179.attach

Well, I got the side draft flue installed today. It worked really well dispite the fact that I only had 8 ft. of 10in. pipe for the vertical part.

The horizontal section is the casing from an old pressure washer.
10in. x10in. x 30in. It all fit together surprisingly well.

I'm now on the lookout for a couple sections of 10 in. pipe to add height to the stack. It worked well enough today, a clear weather, high pressure sort of day.........but I'm not sure how it will be on rainy , low pressure days.
We will see.

I now have power to the shop, and lights. Moved my main anvil in.....gotta set a post for the post vise.

I've done a little trial forging in the new shop, but I'm resisting the urge to bring all my tongs,hammers,chisels,hardy tools, and other assorted smithing 'stuff' in until I have proper hangers or shelving to store stuff.
That's what the problem was with the old shop.....no organization!

Here are some pics.......(there are more in the gallery)

The work.......continues!

James

9334.attach

9335.attach

9336.attach

9337.attach