I Forge Iron

Found this Youtube video/channel on anvil repairs

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy the technique, although my welding isn't up to par. Kind of the "Anvil of Theseus". There was a philosophical thought experiment in which a the "Ship of Theseus" went to sea and along the way, needed the sails repaired. A few hundred miles and a storm or two later, it required new planking and caulking. A couple of years in, the anchor need replacing, it then got a new rudder, and so on and so on until nothing was left of the original ship. The philosophical question was...is it still the same ship? There was also a shorter version in John Dies at the End involving an axe and a fascist reanimated zombie. If you replace the heel, then the horn, then the body over time, is it still the same anvil?

That's not even an interesting philosophical question. Yes, it's the same thingy. When you replace a part the new part becomes part of the thingy or nothing is the same as it started out being. When you put new tires on your car is it now a different car? :rolleyes:

I don't recall how quickly but your blood is replaced completely in a surprisingly short time, I don't think it's a month but I don't recall. Same for every cell in your body, even nerve cells wear out and are replaced. 

Are YOU the same person you were 5 years ago; when you were a child?

On the other side of the argument, NO it's not the same anvil, it wasn't the first time it was struck. It may change more slowly but like a river you can never step into or use the same anvil a second time. 

Fun stuff to think about though, no wonder there are so many philosophers. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

On 11/5/2023 at 7:21 AM, Frosty said:

That's not even an interesting philosophical question. Yes, it's the same thingy. When you replace a part the new part becomes part of the thingy or nothing is the same as it started out being. When you put new tires on your car is it now a different car? :rolleyes:

I don't recall how quickly but your blood is replaced completely in a surprisingly short time, I don't think it's a month but I don't recall. Same for every cell in your body, even nerve cells wear out and are replaced. 

Are YOU the same person you were 5 years ago; when you were a child?

On the other side of the argument, NO it's not the same anvil, it wasn't the first time it was struck. It may change more slowly but like a river you can never step into or use the same anvil a second time. 

Fun stuff to think about though, no wonder there are so many philosophers. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

I would tend to argue that no, in a lot of ways I'm not the same person, although I'm similar. Continuity is a slippery concept. If you replaced the tires on your car tomorrow at 08:00, then the alternator at 08:10, tie rods at 08:30, and so on until the last piece was replaced by lunch time, it would be a tougher argument. Or what if you gradually replaced the parts with say, until it was entirely made up of the parts for a 74 Dodge Dart? At that point would it still be whatever it is you drive now, which I can only assume is a 70 Mustang with the 429 and the Shaker hood?