I Forge Iron

Ancient Greek trident found

A great find to show the design hasn't changed over millennia. I can't believe the conservator is using a power wheel on it. One would think electrolysis would be safer and better removing the rust.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

The off set of the center prong seems odd to me and the base almost looks like there could have been a fourth prong. Maybe it was just offset in forging. 

Always cool to see new old relics unearthed and some of the mystery behind them explained.  Thanks for sharing George. 

I wondered about the center tine too, Das, it occurred to me it might be a repair or maybe made by a less skilled smith. 

That's a thought George but I'd think special care would be taken with public sculptures. 

However the fountain may have had fish in it so little kids could take their hand at spearing them. You know like the fishing tanks in Bass Pro or outdoor exhibitions.

Frosty The Lucky.

It looks like it was forge welded together in pieces. Maybe it was a practice piece, made by an apprentice or something. It seems asymmetrical not only in the offset center tine but the angles of the outer tines don't quite match either. One seems to be more of a curved transition while the other seems to be a sharper bend. I wonder if it might have been made by someone who was going off a description from someone who knows a guy who's neighbor told him about one they saw years ago from a distance? That can't be just a modern thing. That might explain a lot of mysterious unexplained artifacts as well. 

As far as the odd angles it certainly could have been bent in use or rebent after being broken just to keep it working like an old tool hard used and barely functional but still needed as cost of a new one would be too much for the poor worker.  

I've found rr spikes, way more modern, crustier than that in a river. By the time I clean off the crust the iron or steel left is much thinner than the original shape.