I Forge Iron

Now what?

BoardMoreThanUsual

So, i picked up this vise at a yard sale along with other items in the picture for 35 bucks.

i have googled and it seems its a wagon vise? maybe?

my question after cleaning it up is there a standard way of mounting it so i can use it for blacksmithing or did i waste  my money and just scrap it for the metal weight

thanks in advance.

vise.jpg

yardsale stuff.jpg

Dang!!! 35 bucks!?!? What a steal!

I have never seen a vise like that before, so whatever you do DONT SCRAP IT!!!! That is history right there!!!!

I wonder if you slide a board(s) through the upside down L shaped bracket and that is how the vise is mounted?

The man it belonged to was a pipe fitter /welder, the family was selling all his stuff. i was expecting him to say 100 bucks for the vise and when he said everything on my tailgate  35 bucks i just got out of there .

As far as how its mounted yes it looks like something could slide thru that area and then get "clamped" down by the 2 bolts on the bottom

I believe there are complete instructions for mounting and using a "wagon tongue blacksmith's vise" in the US Calvary blacksmith manual. That's pretty close to the name and I'm sure someone here has a copy or can link you.

Frosty The Lucky.

You didn't waste your money for sure. Those wagon tongue vises are really collectable and usually go for over a hundred dollars U.S. at auction. There are several threads here on IFI. If you do a search like this using your favorite search engine  

wagon tongue vise site:iforgeiron.com      you will get a lot of threads. some like this older one have lost the pictures though still good info.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Try this, "Civil War Blacksmithing," by David Einhorn. This is where I remember seeing pretty complete description of the wagon tongue vise with various ways it was mounted. If you talk to him, tell him Frosty says hi.

Check with the local library they might ILL it (Inter Library Loan) for you so you don't have to buy a copy.

Frosty The Lucky.

From Civil War Blacksmithing by David Einhorn

Here is my Civil War Traveling Forge.... reproduced using a copy of the diagrams provided to factories by the U.S. Army during the 1860s, and also using information from period Ordnance Manuals. The wagon vise and anvil are correct to period specifications and possibly from that period.  David Einhorn

Dave at Traveling Forge - labeled.jpg

If you find the information useful, PM David Einhorn and thank him.  He is a member of IForgeIron.

Thanks Glenn, I couldn't remember if Dave was a member or not. I do remember the picture and how easily the vise clamps to the wagon tongue once you see it. It's so simple it's almost embarrassing not to see how immediately. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is your only vise, mounting it as shown is just fine.

If you already have (or later acquire) another post vise, I would seriously recommend making a mounting for this one that is (A) freestanding and (B) much lower. One of the problems with hammering on things in vises is that they are often uncomfortably high, so some kind of mounting that would put the top of the jaws at about the height of your anvil could be very useful. I'd suggest something like a heavy sawhorse, thus:

IMG_6828.jpeg

I've been keeping my eye out for a vise with a broken leg that I could similarly mount at a lower height; sadly, the only ones I found have crossed my path when I didn't have the spare cash!

• 4 weeks later...

I sometimes check this forum for postings with the words, "Civil War".  

These vises were mostly intended for use by smiths/farriers that made and repaired smallish items such as horseshoes. That is compared with leg vises that some folks include in the category of "anvils" because their leg rests on the floor, thus decreasing the chance of damage due to heavier pounding on what the vise is holding. Vises 1 b.jpg

Thanks for this post David. As you see I have it mounted on a 2x attached to my work bench. Did they continue to make these after that time period (if you are familiar) or is my vise from that time period.

I am happy with my set up other than needing to get a thinker piece of wood or a spacer as it is set up for what I am guessing a true 2" not the nominal 1-1/2 " 2x

Thanks for the info and pictures

12 minutes ago, BoardMoreThanUsual said:

....... Did they continue to make these after that time period (if you are familiar) or is my vise from that time period........

Good question.  My humble understanding is that vise was originally and mainly made for settler's wagons traveling from the east (Pennsylvania mainly) westwards.  If there was a demand for settler's wagons going west, then there would have been a similar market for repair vises to be mounted on them.  If not, well... they were not ideal for other uses compared to dedicated bench vises, and blacksmith style leg vises...... That said, your vise is "Civil War" vintage, as identified by it's bracket.