I Forge Iron

Fisher & Norris "0" Anvil

garald176

image.thumb.jpeg.8a72933c10bc0e3d887a072b3977d323.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ecb221eb0addfa828c34c5edf3ba5e46.jpeg

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with any information about this further than what I've been able to gather that this is what would be referred to as a 10 pound anvil made by fisher and norris in Trenton Nj. Any kind of dating information or value would be very much appreciated!

I believe those were a traveling salesman's sample anvil. 

Referred to as 10lb. anvil? What does it weight? It's not like it's a functional anvil it won't have lost much due to the corrosion. It's value is what you're willing to pay for it.

Frosty The Lucky.

It weighs around seven and a half pounds. I don't really know anything about it to be honest, just what I could gather in an hour or so researching online. This just seemed like the community to ask from what I found. I've also been able to make out the words "CAST STEEL" on the right hand side after the "0" in the stampings.

And here I am.  Your 0 size anvil was made as a functional piece.  Not as a sample.  The "Cast Steel" refers to the horn steel plate...they were cast steel.  The anvil has steel faces on the horn and body, welded to the cast iron body during the casting process.  Mark Fisher figured out how to do this in the 1840s.  F&N went on to make over 600,000 or more anvils using this process.

The markings of the size sometimes were multiple of 10, but in your anvil it was made as an 8 lb +/- anvil.  Your anvil was probably made in the 1870s, or a bit later.

If you want to learn more about me, or the Fisher Museum, go to my Profile to see info, and about my book on the company.  Any other questions?

Picture of the Museum entrance and my book.  Located in New Jersey.

10671341_MuseumFathersDay.thumb.jpg.95547fdf9eccec561fc63e13d686b617.jpg

Oh wow! Thank you for replying. I found it cleaning out a house and it seemed like it had enough information on it to pursue some research. I guess would like to know if it's worth anything or if I should just hold onto it as a conversation piece. I love antiques but I'm not what you'd call an anvil collector.

24 minutes ago, garald176 said:

Oh wow! Thank you for replying. I found it cleaning out a house and it seemed like it had enough information on it to pursue some research. I guess would like to know if it's worth anything or if I should just hold onto it as a conversation piece. I love antiques but I'm not what you'd call an anvil collector.

Message sent.