I Forge Iron

Pizza axe

This fun pizza cutter axe I forged as a folded eye.  made with step downs on the anvil corners.  I just acquired a power hammer and my new technique is to fuller in step downs for the poll and eye with a piece of 1/4 inch round. These fullers are easy to feel on the anvil.  Then I go back to the power hammer and iron the hill out with a flatter.  Sure makes a wrapped eye axe fast and fun! Also I can make the half inch by 1-1/2 inch bar stock I like to use from scraps of whatever I have around, usually cultivator shanks.  I go to my junk pile with the cordless portaband and then forge what I have into what I want.  I’m in love with my power hammer

B8359FAA-D2F2-4AC4-8AC3-189376D8C614.jpeg

CD9E8C09-DD45-4B11-875C-A611AC536911.jpeg

99ACD457-E763-4BDF-BD30-4AB0FF428F7A.jpeg

Momatt,  one suggestion for the next one is to move the toe of the handle further to the right, away from the tip of the axe blade.  As it is, you lose about 25% of your cutting edge if you are using it in a rocking motion to cut a pizza.  Cool tool and idea though.  My wife thought the idea interesting but not interesting enough to ask me to make her one (yet).

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Uh George, I'm not clear about your suggestion. The first thing I saw was the handle prevented rocking it all the way back AND it put your hand almost in contact with hot melted cheese. I really like the idea of a pizza axe and was thinking of adapting the idea but I'm not sure how I'd change the profile other than changing the handle to blade angle.  

My big kitchen knife does a fine job, so long as I don't rock my knuckles into the melted cheese!:o The Ulu Deb bought me works a treat on pizza too and a number pizza parlors are using a two handed version or a cut down machete, only a few I know of use the old rolling blades anymore.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, that's exactly the suggestion I was making.  Thye handle needs to angle to the right (orientation as in the photo with the edge of the blade to the left) from the eye so that the whole edge of the blade can contact the pizza and, as you say, keeping your knuckles free of hot cheese and toppings.

Also, Madelynn suggested that prettier wood be used for the handle.  This version appears to have charred pine used in the handle.  I don't think that would be my first choice.

GNM 

It might be better to change the angle of the blade itself compared to the handle then.  If the eye was centered on the blade so there were equal amounts of "beard" above and below the central point then it should be fairly easy to configure it so the full range of the blade could be used without sticking knuckles in hot toppings.

The handle is ugly but it’s white oak from my kindling pile!  I can make a handle using my 2 by 72 grinder in a few min. And should have used cherry or walnut there is plenty in the pile and strength isn’t a factor.  For some reason I always char my handles and rub in linseed oil. I like that look.  My wife says  I specialize in the over the top and unnecessary lol!  I posted this to my Facebook page and I have a lot of friends wanting one.