I Forge Iron

Welding ends of steel cable

Pigsticker

Hello all. Hope all is well with you all Got a few quickies today.  It was suggested on a previous submission, a learned smith was able to smith with something other than hammer. That prompts me to want to tap my steel butter colored cable  on floor to weld ends. Any thoughts. I'm confident I have the strike to weld, equally confident I don't know what it is.

Should a forge that is layered with butter covered by kastolite then a heavy coat of butter topped with matrikote turn dark colors on the floor of the forge with use or does it maintain a white color?

If there anything that would weld the ends of steel cable while it cuts it or is there a cheap fuel torch I can use the just spray with heat to weld ends without forging ( hammer). Like burning cheap boat rope or hair? Want  the 2" steel cable to clump as much as id need.

Thanks all 

Pig Sticker 

No cusses. This the alchemy afternoon dlt posting board right?

Tapping it on the floor to weld would be magic, if it worked and I say it will not work. It is normal for the interior of a forge to turn dark, especially if flux has been used. There is no magic alchemy to weld steel.

The last question about a cheap torch to weld cable ends as it's being cut as far as I know does not exist. to weld cable ends without using the forge will take an arc welder (stick or Mig/Tig or Oxy/Acc torch setup.

I got my ends welded the other week, but I can't remember how. I Think I got a great twist, then started hammering about 3" in from the end, but wasting 3" of good cable is enough to go t.. Does steel emit smoke when it burns? I got a puff of smoke once but assumed I found a bit of collected cable lube. I still took the cable out and hammered it but it definitely didn't seem hot enough. Thank you all.

Pig S.

I didn't think it would "smoke" but Ive already rebuilt a brand new forge due to melting cable and I just want to use it. I was hoping I'd found a last chance indicator for overheating cable ( it was obvious to my eyes think I could spot it again, figures)

Tx

Pigus X 

If all xxxx breaks loose, can I use a section of I beam as a v swage? I'm using a piece of rail on it's side but think I might need a more distinct 90 degrees angle to hammer into.( Or I could be wrong

Thanks and enjoy yals Sunday football or tea parties, if so inclined.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:33 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

to weld cable ends without using the forge will take an arc welder (stick or Mig/Tig or Oxy/Acc torch setup.

The cheapest set-up I can think of to weld (apart from forge welding) is flux-core arc. For ~$150.USD you can get something that not only welds the end of cable, but you can do light fabrication such as building stands and such. In some ways flux core is better than MIG in that it is less susceptible to wind and tolerates grease and dirt better (not that I'm advocating you not clean before welding). I also find that I make fewer tie-in errors with flux core. I have flux-core MIG, TIG and stick. If I'm outside it's gotta be flux-core or stick. Inside where I want it pretty or on non-ferrous, MIG or TIG.

I'm blessed to see you posting, Thomas.

Many thanks

Once woke up from a 21 day coma convinced I'd been shot. I felt around for bullet holes and then got a mental vision cutting off my fingers in an accident on the chopsaw and being electrocuted, all the way to death. (Kinda weird, accepted) I've never known anything about electricity so it seemed fair enough to me. I'm not scared of electricity anymore :) but what can I say if anything igs me? (Mig or tig or anything electric weldish) Willing to admit my limitations.I've seen pics of artistic mig and Tig welds that have assured me it's on another level that i can't even process the look of. There was a weld that looked like beautiful iridescent braided rope. Finally got my pressure back above 12 ( as opposed to 7 psi) so the forge is amazingly welding "more" and accommodatingly. For now. 

If hammered steel is good, how much is enough?

I do still use my chopsaw and love the number 10. A lot.

Pig S Ticker 

I did take a new cutting disc on angle grinder to my poor knife today and can say the grain in the hardened cable blade came out magnificent. it also is near impervious to my grinder. Used bout 3/4  of a blade to angle grind a lightly welded 2" cable in two. (Close to 2 min) Wow. It was a  $4 grinder wheel too. ( Not the $2 discs)

I'm not sure why a gas flame wouldn't seal an end of a cable if its cut about a 70 degree angle and move the heat slowly. The wire won't just "fuse" ? Like liquidize it for just a second. I called around and there is a guy for 90$ an hour who'll weld the ends for me, but that's real money. I can't offer to mow his yard for 90$ and I pay less for medical care w my insurance than his hourly fee and my doctor visits include a stop at doc's treasure chest. Plus, I'd have to drop it off to explain what to do and that's not my fortes.

Pig S 

Great Tuesday all. Tx for help

How big a spotch of weld would come off 1 zap with an "ig" if you just pulled the trigger 1 time. Real question being if I've got to seal a 2" cable end and might be 15 min YouTube ig trained, is it gonna take 30 min tor cover the whole end or less than 4 min? Many thanks.

Discovered my smoking was pieces of the end of the cable that fall or fell off. Good lesson in getting the forge high enough to see in. How high is that for a forge? Baked? Haha.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Good Morning,

Nobody has said it yet, starting out with learning to make a 'Cable Blade Thing' using 2" wire rope, is like saying you are going for GOLD MEDAL. Except you haven't learned how to row the boat yet. Wire Rope comes with oil impregnated  rope strand in the center or solid wire rope core. This is called 'Rope Core' or  "Solid Core'. No, it doesn't matter which side of your mouth your tongue will stick out of. Start with something manageable like 1/2" or 3/4" wire rope. Learn to walk first!!

Neil

Is thinking in a box like living in a box? Said it and did it w no memory of it? I saw a person walking before, gotta guess they're still about where they were. IM NOT CALLING IT PRETTY BUT INSTEAD CALL IT WELD #216709917417048723292593213790723.thumb.jpg.7fb0f93eeeefc2e2bfcfe05d6bd7486c.jpg not impressive and very not impossible. My family isn't artistic. The little guy is from 1.5" cable and it's less than 1" wide

Einstein spoke of great spirits. We're like blind old horses 

Piggly Savante Ticker

I'm not pierced for 3/4 or 1" cable stuff. This blade doesn't cut but I'll make it rip and tear

1670992116902187127636508611037.thumb.jpg.e87da42a8bb479f4c84049205a5868ad.jpg

And no o need to send repeated messages to my poor inbox my "cable blade things" aforementioned are not for sale! Realistically, offers over $1500 would receive consideration.  Stupid knife makers ( cause I've made 2 now) probably dismiss others efforts too. If anyone ever needs help with any wood's makeup and working characteristics give me try. My wood knowledge is arguably better than my metal       no-ledge. ( That's why I'm on a metal page.) Haha 

Oink e oink

• 1 month later...

You most certainly can cut and weld the cable with a torch. 

Buy an acetylene tank, a plumber's B tank will work and should be very cheap if bought used.

Buy an "owner size" oxygen tank.

Buy a torch set. 

Learn how to gas weld. 

Cut the wire with the cutting tip, then switch to a welding tip, adjust the pressures of the gases to neutral, equal low pressures  and weld away, Rene.

Others are correct though, that smaller diameter wire would be much less work overall.

If you do this you will greatly expand your metal working capability for the least cost possible in terms of equipment outlay.

When I was a student gas welding was still taught in the trade schools. It is a shame that it almost a forgotten art now, especially since it is so easy to do.

Furthermore if you are a good gas welder, TIG welding is very easy to learn.