I Forge Iron

How to conserve charcoal

I use coke I my forge currently because I like solid fuel but live in the burbs and don’t want to have to explain coal fumes to the HOA.  However, it’s become increasingly hard to source.  I can easily get lump charcoals year round for a lower price, but unlike coke, you can’t just turn off the air blast and break apart the fire and have fuel still there when you return the next day.  You get a pile of ash instead.  I tried dosing the coal in the slack tub and skimming it out again, but this seems to really increase the fire fleas.  Is there a better way to conserve fuel if you only forge for short durations, say no more than 2 hours?

Gentlemen,

I stop charcoal burning by oxygen starvation. Get a robust metal bucket and lid. The lid should fit tightly gas seal the bucket. Put your charcoal, coal, or coke, into the bucket and seal the top. There will be some combustion, but eventually all the oxygen will be exhausted and combustion will stop. The contents of said bucket can be used as soon as the can cools down.

"Little Blacksmith" who posted on the forum, was buying his coke from L brand. He is living in Texas, the last I heard. You may wish to contact him with that question for his advice.

A good source for charcoal are steak house restaurants that char broil their meat. You might want to buy from them or even purchase a portion of their next order, to cut costs.

Herr SLAG hopes the aforementioned information proves useful,

It is time to get back to my bourbon, and relax.

Cheers,

SLAG.

10 hours ago, SLAG said:

"Little Blacksmith" who posted on the forum, was buying his coke from L brand. He is living in Texas, the last I heard.

"littleblacksmith" has changed his username to his IRL name, Mark Ling. A quick google search will find his website; he lives in College Station.